Forums > Model Colloquy > Info for models about real corsets

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

retphoto wrote:
if you happen to stumble across a corset made with 'whalebone' you should have it carefully cleaned and not use it....it's a true antique..smile

That's if you can find one

Apr 13 08 09:47 pm Link

Model

Bethany-Lynn

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I dont know how to explain it.
I want a real corset that will produce good reduction (im a little puudgy puuudgy)
but I dont want to pay like 200 bucks for one.
I want one thats cheap and will do something.

Apr 13 08 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Phoebe DeSantis

Wayne, New Jersey, US

This is a really great thread but do you know a good place to look for plus sized corsets?  I can't afford custom.

Apr 13 08 09:50 pm Link

Model

Bethany-Lynn

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Where can I get a cheap corset that will show results?

Apr 13 08 09:56 pm Link

Model

the empowered one

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I've had really good luck with Versatile Fashions.  They're amazing!

http://www.versatilefashions.com/

Apr 13 08 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

Well not only is this a real corset, it's a real old corset, from about 1905-1910. Oldest in our collection is from the 1880s.

http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/vintag … rsets.html

https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061112/21/4557e247f419c.jpg

Apr 13 08 11:20 pm Link

Model

B Debauchery

Boston, Massachusetts, US

if you want a fun corset thats inexpensive as most corsets go, i bought one of bettysioux's show pieces (black w/ ribcage design on the front and back) with spring steel boning for cheap! she also does custom stuff, but i don't know her pricing--but it doesn't hurt to ask!!

http://www.bettysioux.com/
http://www.myspace.com/bettysioux
------------------------------------------------------------

also, i have a question on wearing corsets:
a friend (guy doesn't wear corsets but is *very* well acquainted with people who do) told me that you should always be able to push the front of your corset together and be able to unhook the busk/get it off. if you can't, the corset is too tight. is this true, or is it pretty much for those who are performing in a corset?

Apr 13 08 11:36 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

BethanyLynn wrote:
I want a real corset that will produce good reduction (im a little puudgy puuudgy)

There's pretty much no such thing. 

I've heard good things about Timeless Trends for providing a nice silhouette and I have a Hoss that's made of such a heavy weight vinyl it does the same.  Both companies are in the $100 range, but will only provide a 2-4 inch reduction max.

Maybe one day you'll luck out and find one used that works, but you'll never find a new corset in that price range that provides any serious waist reduction or would be suitable for waist training.  Corsets are very labor intensive, complicated garments to make. They don't come cheap.

Apr 14 08 12:16 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

B Debauchery wrote:
a friend (guy doesn't wear corsets but is *very* well acquainted with people who do) told me that you should always be able to push the front of your corset together and be able to unhook the busk/get it off. if you can't, the corset is too tight. is this true, or is it pretty much for those who are performing in a corset?

I'm not sure that makes any sense as phrased. Was he trying to tell you you should loosen the laces before attempting to remove it?

Apr 14 08 12:18 am Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

I refuse to wear anything but a 'real' corset.
Its an amzing feeling to wear them and after waist training for so many years I have a tiny waist when I'm not wearing it now too smile
I think custom corsetry is the best by far.
https://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080218/03/47b93e5192c6f_m.jpg

Apr 14 08 07:13 am Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

theda wrote:

B Debauchery wrote:

Theres no such thing as a corset too tight if fitted properly.

Apr 14 08 07:14 am Link

Model

B Debauchery

theda wrote:

I'm not sure that makes any sense as phrased. Was he trying to tell you you should loosen the laces before attempting to remove it?

i was wondering if he thought that because a lot of the women he knows who wear corsets are also performers, that the ease of removal was solely for that? he was saying that i shouldn't have to loosen the laces before taking it off.

Apr 14 08 10:45 am Link

Model

B Debauchery

Fetisha wrote:

theda wrote:

B Debauchery wrote:

Theres no such thing as a corset too tight if fitted properly.

thanks!!

Apr 14 08 10:46 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

BethanyLynn wrote:

That is damn near impossible to find.
This is the one business that you can usually say, you get what you pay for

Apr 14 08 11:03 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

B Debauchery wrote:
if you want a fun corset thats inexpensive as most corsets go, i bought one of bettysioux's show pieces (black w/ ribcage design on the front and back) with spring steel boning for cheap! she also does custom stuff, but i don't know her pricing--but it doesn't hurt to ask!!

http://www.bettysioux.com/
http://www.myspace.com/bettysioux
------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, don't be mad if I'm misunderstanding this.
When you first put the corset on, the laces should be loosened and it should be easy to hook it closed.  Once it is on and tightened, you may or may not be able to get it off without loosening the laces.  If you have to losen the laces to take it off, does not mean it is too tight

Apr 14 08 11:05 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

theda wrote:

There's pretty much no such thing. 

I've heard good things about Timeless Trends for providing a nice silhouette and I have a Hoss that's made of such a heavy weight vinyl it does the same.  Both companies are in the $100 range, but will only provide a 2-4 inch reduction max.

Maybe one day you'll luck out and find one used that works, but you'll never find a new corset in that price range that provides any serious waist reduction or would be suitable for waist training.  Corsets are very labor intensive, complicated garments to make. They don't come cheap.

Exactly.
Occasionally you will find a deal, but always to skeptical.
I once got a custom corset for $250 (after taxes and shipping) which was an amazing deal for the corset maker, but if you want a decent corset, expect to pay over $200 minimium

Apr 14 08 11:06 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Fetisha wrote:
I refuse to wear anything but a 'real' corset.
Its an amzing feeling to wear them and after waist training for so many years I have a tiny waist when I'm not wearing it now too smile
I think custom corsetry is the best by far.
https://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080218/03/47b93e5192c6f_m.jpg

Lovely corset.
Sadly though, even if you have a reduction without your corset on, if you stop wearing corsets all together, you will go back to your natural waist. hmm
Sadly it is not a permenant change in your waist

Apr 14 08 11:07 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Matt Knowles wrote:
Well not only is this a real corset, it's a real old corset, from about 1905-1910. Oldest in our collection is from the 1880s.

http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/vintag … rsets.html

https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061112/21/4557e247f419c.jpg

Lovely, lovely corset!
I'm sure that is considered a real corset smile

Apr 14 08 11:08 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

the empowered one wrote:
I've had really good luck with Versatile Fashions.  They're amazing!

http://www.versatilefashions.com/

I have also heard good things about them.

Apr 14 08 11:09 am Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I'm actually basting together corsets now, hoping to have them ready by the time I leave for NM- but I am having a bitch of a time finding any decent steel boning- and what I ordered recently has been delayed in shipping. *growls*

I've been usuing a heavyweight broadcloth material for my backing materials, and then facing them with the cover fabrics.  They come out beautifully, but another issue that I'm running into is finding good quality fabrics that will hold up for long periods of time- if I make a corset, I want it to last for years.

Apr 14 08 11:15 am Link

Model

B Debauchery

Nikki A wrote:
Ok, don't be mad if I'm misunderstanding this.
When you first put the corset on, the laces should be loosened and it should be easy to hook it closed.  Once it is on and tightened, you may or may not be able to get it off without loosening the laces.  If you have to losen the laces to take it off, does not mean it is too tight

nope, that's exactly what I wanted to know! thank yoU!!

Apr 14 08 12:26 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Ok, I just found a $50 off deal for off-the-rack in-stock corsets from Absolute Corsets (I've heard good things about them).
If anyone wants to PM me with your email address, I will forward the deal over to you smile

Apr 14 08 12:51 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

B Debauchery wrote:

nope, that's exactly what I wanted to know! thank yoU!!

Awesome big_smile

Apr 14 08 12:51 pm Link

Model

Stephy C

Los Angeles, California, US

I've always wanted to wear a real corset! They look so hot smile

Apr 14 08 01:00 pm Link

Clothing Designer

SINched

Needville, Texas, US

Good thread. smile

Apr 14 08 02:41 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

SINched wrote:
Good thread. smile

thanks

Apr 14 08 03:49 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

B Debauchery wrote:
i was wondering if he thought that because a lot of the women he knows who wear corsets are also performers, that the ease of removal was solely for that? he was saying that i shouldn't have to loosen the laces before taking it off.

I would say that's completely wrong. You should definitely loosen the laces before you take it off to preserve the life of the corset.  Not doing so could damage the corset. If the corset is tight enough to being doing anything at all, it should be loosened before removing it.

Apr 14 08 06:48 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

theda wrote:

I would say that's completely wrong. You should definitely loosen the laces before you take it off to preserve the life of the corset.  Not doing so could damage the corset. If the corset is tight enough to being doing anything at all, it should be loosened before removing it.

exactly

Apr 14 08 11:03 pm Link

Model

Leona Anne

La Mesa, California, US

Thank you for the lniks at the bottom! I'm used to going to my local BDSM shop and buying quality corsets (DS Toychest in Meriden CT), but out here, there aren't any good places to buy any, so thanks for the links. I miss DS Toychest - the lady who made the corsets would come in and do measurements for me and then make it and I would pick it up at the shop. it was always a fun shopping day when I got the call that my corset came it!

I should also mention that the smallest I ever got was down to a 23 inch, from a 32 waist. I have a picture somewhere of me in it. But I should note that it took me about three years of tightlacing training to be comfortable bringing myself down that small. I was hovering around a 25-26 inch and I finally went tighter and got an inch smaller than I expected to be able to reach!

Apr 14 08 11:07 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Leona Anne wrote:
Thank you for the lniks at the bottom! I'm used to going to my local BDSM shop and buying quality corsets (DS Toychest in Meriden CT), but out here, there aren't any good places to buy any, so thanks for the links.

you're welcome

Apr 14 08 11:15 pm Link

Model

Katja Katarina

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Thank you for posting this.  I am sick of seeing girls wearing "glorified tubetops"  They are not flattering on anyone.  Ever. They are pointless.  I appreciate you bringing this up.  So maybe I am a bit of an elitist about the subject.smile

Apr 15 08 02:01 am Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey girls,

I have read that if you wear real corsets for long enough, that the waist will shrink, even when not wearing it?

Is it really true that you can lose inches through a corset, and does anyone know how long 'long enough' is for the average woman?

Apr 15 08 02:11 am Link

Photographer

Dark Angel Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

...REAL corsets have REAL Bone Boning(originaly Whale Bones, then Deer and other smaller animal bones where used), Spring Steel was not introduced into modern corsetry until the 80s...     

FYI...   tongue

Apr 15 08 02:28 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Dark Angel Photography wrote:
...REAL corsets have REAL Bone Boning, Spring Steel was not introduced into modern corsetry  until the 80s...     

FYI...   tongue

Are you saying that whale bone was used until the 1980s? Because I'm pretty sure sanctions against hunting whales had been passed before then.  edit for googling: Whaling became pretty strictly regulated in the 1930s and 40s, but was not banned outright by the International Whaling Commission until 1982.

Also worth noting, whalebone is not bone. It's baleen. Real bone boning has never been used in corsetry.

Apr 15 08 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Dark Angel Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

theda wrote:

Are you saying that whale bone was used until the 1980s? Because I'm pretty sure sanctions against hunting whales had been passed before then. 

Also worth noting, whalebone is not bone. It's baleen. Real bone boning has never been used in corsetry.

whale boning was used intil the late 50s or 60s, because of price and availability, other animal bones (used for thier malability) like deer where used to the mid to late 70s until spring steel was used for cost effectivness and availability...
  My ex learned the history of "The Original Corset" for an educational course in textiles...

Apr 15 08 02:38 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Lady Bronze wrote:
Hey girls,

I have read that if you wear real corsets for long enough, that the waist will shrink, even when not wearing it?

Is it really true that you can lose inches through a corset, and does anyone know how long 'long enough' is for the average woman?

You can temporarily re-size your waist with prolonged corset wearing, but I'm not sure how much would be necessary. I know many serious waist trainers wear their corsets up to 23 hours a day for months to achieve those results.

Apr 15 08 02:39 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Dark Angel Photography wrote:

whale boning was used intil the late 50s or 60s, because of price and availability, other animal bones (used for thier malability) like deer where used to the mid to late 70s until spring steel was used for cost effectivness and availability...
  My ex learned the history of "The Original Corset" for an educational course in textiles...

Okay, but are you sure those other animal bones were bones and not some sort cartilage or hair/nail like fiber? To my knowledge, no species has malleable bones.

Apr 15 08 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Dark Angel Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

theda wrote:

You can temporarily re-size your waist with prolonged corset wearing, but I'm not sure how much would be necessary. I know many serious waist trainers wear their corsets up to 23 hours a day for months to achieve those results.

Fakir from india reduced his waist to I think it was 13 or 14 inches...?...

Apr 15 08 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Dark Angel Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

theda wrote:

Okay, but are you sure those other animal bones were bones and not some sort cartilage or hair/nail like fiber? To my knowledge, no species has malleable bones.

bones were made mallable through vinegar soaking, some bones worked, some did not, deer was one that was deemed to work with the vinegar bath to soften them ebough to make them mallable...  it was not used for long though when spring steel replaced the real bones...

Apr 15 08 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Dark Angel Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

There is a book (I don't know if it is still in print.?.) called "The Modern Primitive" that had a whole chapter devoted to corsetry and human binding from around the world...   if you can find a copy, it is an amazing read and look...   from extreme piercings and tattoos to extreme body modification through surgery, corsetry, binding, piercings, tattoos, etc...

Apr 15 08 02:47 am Link