Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Business Card advice

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Which one? I can't decide!!

Oh, and the back will have an effects photo on it. I found a company that prints double sided cards so I can show that I do both beauty and effects. Forgot to mention that wink

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/chrismills/testcard1.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/chrismills/testcard2.jpg

Feb 12 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

If I had to choose from just those two I would say the bottom one.

Feb 12 06 06:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I would choose the first one, but I would put your website before your e-mail adress.
just my 2 cents smile

Feb 12 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I wouldn't use either one. Your bus. card is the first promo to tell about you as an artist and a person. In my opinion the look they look amateurish.

Feb 12 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I think the first is really cool since it also shows the effects.  And I agree about the web address being first, especially since the email address is longer.  It will look more balanced.

Feb 12 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

To bad you can't have more than one photo... the top one shows your special effects, the bottom your MUA... So if you're choosing just one, it depends on who you're handing them out to... I would presume Ohio would have more jobs for MUA than special effects, but you know your own market smile

Feb 12 06 07:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

Two more options...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/chrismills/testcard3.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/chrismills/testcard4.jpg

Feb 12 06 07:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nadine Make-up Artist

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

I would say the first one Chris. It shows both your special effects and beauty makeup skills

Feb 12 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

better than the first example
still needs work on the fonts ( the font for your name is cool) and the pic are a little flat.

Feb 12 06 07:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

J C Makeup

New York, New York, US

i like the first one. but can't you ask for half showing your special effects and half showing your beauty makeup?  that way, you can hand out your cards accordingly.

Feb 12 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

jchoi makeup wrote:
i like the first one. but can't you ask for half showing your special effects and half showing your beauty makeup?  that way, you can hand out your cards accordingly.

Excellent idea, I use to have one double sided "all occasions" card but now use three different one sided cards as I have three target markets.  With individual cards you can keep it simple and focused.

Grant.

Feb 12 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

4th one, as the black looks "classier" than the high-key white. This shows a close-up of your beauty work, and you said you would have an effects shot on the back. Maybe the hobo shot with a slightly enlarged "before" picture.

Glad I looked at your port, rather than ask why you have an 818 number in Ohio. smile You do good work, maybe I can talk you into a trade when you make it out to this coast?

Feb 12 06 08:52 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

I like the first one for showing both skills, but I think the beauty makeup looks much stronger on the second image so a tough call. I suppose it depends on who you are trying to market towards.

Feb 12 06 09:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

SoVi-Southern Vitality

Houston, Texas, US

Here's the person who did my business cards...

www.tpipermedia.2ya.com

you can get two sided with/without gloss color 1000 for $120 that's design and print. If you have it designed already then you'd just pay for printing. He has a collection of fonts from over the years if you'd like to see something else. My card actually has 3 pictures on the back and one on the front. email me at [email protected] if you wanna see it.. :-)

Feb 12 06 10:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

SoVi-Southern Vitality wrote:
Here's the person who did my business cards...

www.tpipermedia.2ya.com

you can get two sided with/without gloss color 1000 for $120 that's design and print. If you have it designed already then you'd just pay for printing. He has a collection of fonts from over the years if you'd like to see something else. My card actually has 3 pictures on the back and one on the front. email me at [email protected] if you wanna see it.. :-)

Thanks! I was going to go to www.smallbusinessprinting.com on the advice of a friend, but I'll check these guys out too!

Feb 12 06 10:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i like the bottom one.

Feb 13 06 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Chris Mills wrote:
Two more options...

I love the bottom one.
But, I suggest...
Where does "818-809-9813" go? Is it an office, cell phone, etc???
At least a little "Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx" or something like that. (IMHO of course)

The top card is really good too so it would depend on what your market is, whether it's special effects make-up (top), or beauty make-up (bottom). Perhaps you would even print both and give out the one that is more relevant to the kind of business you expect to receive from your prospective client.

Also important, where you get them printed…
I use www.overnightprints.com and love them (I don’t know how well they reproduce photographic business cards however) since they use a good heavy card stock, run it on offset presses, and have an option for a nice glossy UV coat. They also offer rounded corners for $2 per 100 cards ordered.

Yuriy “Dâ€?

Feb 13 06 11:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Chris Mills wrote:
Two more options...

Not to muddy up the water... but...
Do you have a close up picture of the top picture with a good shot of the natural beauty? I like the emotion that picture gives as well as showing your sfx work and beauty capabilities. My thought is a business card doesn't give you a lot of room when the picture is portrait on landscape. So if it is cropped in tighter showing from the chest up, it might work. Just a thought.

Other than that, I agree with having two cards for your target audience.

I'm also working on putting together a comp card. More room and a mini portfolio.

Feb 13 06 12:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

The black cards are much nicer than the b+w ones. 

The company I use is www.overnightprints.com --  You get 1000, super-heavy cardstock cards for $39.99.  I was pleasantly suprised at how thick and expensive they felt and looked.  And you can use your own designs at no extra cost.

Oops, my bad, I see someone else has already sung the praises of overnight.com.  Sorry to be redundant!

Feb 13 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Picture Perfect Makeup wrote:
Not to muddy up the water... but...
Do you have a close up picture of the top picture with a good shot of the natural beauty? I like the emotion that picture gives as well as showing your sfx work and beauty capabilities. My thought is a business card doesn't give you a lot of room when the picture is portrait on landscape. So if it is cropped in tighter showing from the chest up, it might work. Just a thought.

If you mean the female model's chest, than you would be cropping way to close to one of their joints (definitely not something you want to do).
If you mean the male model's chest, then you would be cropping out too much of the female model (not to mention cropping near her shoulder line) which would most likely change the entire mood of the image.
IMHO

But, I would suggest cropping a sliver off of the bottom (If this is exactly how you send them to print 1/16th would be taken off anyway when it is cut, if the cards are full bleed) [regarding the top card].
Or, airbrush that thing on the male model's waist (I don't know what that is but it's distracting)

Feb 13 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair wrote:
The black cards are much nicer than the b+w ones. 

The company I use is www.overnightprints.com --  You get 1000, super-heavy cardstock cards for $39.99.  I was pleasantly suprised at how thick and expensive they felt and looked.  And you can use your own designs at no extra cost.

Oops, my bad, I see someone else has already sung the praises of overnight.com.  Sorry to be redundant!

BTW, how hard/easy is it to write on their matte stock?
Mine are double sided both glossy and I'm considering having the back done in matte and was wondering if it's a good writing service for:
1. non gel upper tier ballpoints
2. Indian ink artists/graphic/inking "pens"
?

Also, how good is their reproduction of photographs instead of graphics images?

Feb 13 06 12:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Like this...if I can figure out how to put the picture in the little box!LOL!
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/myAlbums.do? … 55696198.1

Feb 13 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mr and Mrs Huber

Santa Rosalía, Baja California Sur, Mexico

I've re-written this twice...
both times I was picking at this detail and that .. .
the thing is - I don't see any UNITY in the visual elements...
The fonts are like, either lumpy and jumping off the page, or skinny and dead like yesterday's road kill...
The color of your name should integrate with some of the other elements of the card... the paper base, or the color of the BG (back-ground), or some of the elements of your model... And think of the actual color man... Either the reds REALLY MATCH, or you have to go with a complementary color, or a triad, or gain some separation with tints and shades.... something...
The feeling I get is that you spent some time aranging the image, and less time on the name... and just crammed the rest of the info in there like so much lunch in a bag...

Whatever.. I'm obviously "not feeling" it from the card man...
- Color harmony, since your "keystone" is the image, choose your colors based on the colors of the image... Those are primary tones.... so pick other complementary tones that are NOT also primary.. one that has just a hint of a tint, and the other a bit of a shade...
- pick your font, and keep it... changing the font adds alot of distraction, fragments the space. You dont do tricks with FONTS for your customers right.... it's all in the picture man.. ditch the fancy font work. Pick something that speaks for you, and stick to it.
- lay out the font so that when you hold the card further than arm's length, the shapes of the lines dont jangle and clatter against each other... make it flow.. don't hastle the eye of your client... seduce it....
- and last... the black of that card really is gastly.... the red and black makes me think of cheap night clubs... I would really councel you against that combo... a deep velvety gray would instantly strike me as more interesting... and better yet, some color that plays off your two other choices (model and your name's font)... and serves as a BG...

I'm not here spending my time writing this b/c I want to dis you man... that would be a waste of both our time. Just wanted to share some opinionation.... you were asking.

Yeah, of the two pics, the one where the model is alone is better, Why? b/c she's closer to the camera, and that gives her a stronger connection to the person holding the card. The other pic, they're too far off, and again there's this kinda complicated bunch of information.... no one is ever going to hold the thing to the tip of their nose and squint to figure out that the guy is not actually nude, but made up and textured...  and again.. you are trying to show off your skills on the card... don't. Your card should not be a broshure, it's just a reminder.

Either you sold the person, or you didn't ... the complicated visual of the card just gives people a kinda complicated impression... you want them to look at the card and instantly see the fastest, most convenient way to get a hold of you... not ponder if you've got the skills they need by decoding the brail.
blah blah .. .  off for a smoke.

back for a quick edit b4 a cig-

see, part of the trouble is that you put the most visually active color somewhere OTHER than your name... it's like shooting yourself in the foot before even learning to walk...
You need the RED to be your name ONLY, her dres should be something else, related, but not primary (in color).... pinks, lavenders, tints of orange... NOT hot pink, purple, or straight orange...  tints and shades Compadre... it's way more sophisticated than all primary colors... 
Once you choose your name's color, and photoshop that dress to blend in, THEN smooch something for the BG tones so that it supports everything else... rather than compete with them...
Check it - google color theory, there are loads of sites that lay out complementary color, triads, and beyond.

Feb 13 06 12:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/picperfectmakeup/Chrisbcsamplecopy.jpg
Like this... hopefully it will be in the box!

Feb 13 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/picperfectmakeup/Chrisbcsamplecopy.jpg
Like this...

Me too, but I'd lose the email address.

Feb 13 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

What I don't understand is when a person (or company) has its own website, why do people use AOL, yahoo, Gmail, etc... email addresses instead of just creating an email address on your own domain, like "models@yourdomain.com"? If the address starts getting abused, delete the account or have emails bounce.

Feb 13 06 01:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Yuriy wrote:

BTW, how hard/easy is it to write on their matte stock?
Mine are double sided both glossy and I'm considering having the back done in matte and was wondering if it's a good writing service for:
1. non gel upper tier ballpoints
2. Indian ink artists/graphic/inking "pens"
?

Also, how good is their reproduction of photographs instead of graphics images?

I have the matte cards and I like them very much!  Easy to write on with b/p pen.  I mainly use rollerballs.  May take a sec to dry.  I would imagine if you used india ink or graphic inking pens, it would still take a little while to dry.  Even though they are matte, they are not like paper or cardboard, there is still a finish to the paper...just not glossy.  Does that make sense?

As for images, I needed mine in a hurry and used one of their stock images.  The pic is very clear and crisp.  I would imagine that if you just follow all their requirements for submitting your own image, you'd be fine.

Feb 13 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Good point, Vito.  I have a site, but I still use Yahoo for emails, except on the site itself.  The reason?  Laziness.  Just haven't gotten around to opening the emailboxes.  Will do so, though.  Does anyone who has a site have another (better) reason?

Feb 13 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

William Coleman wrote:
Good point, Vito.  I have a site, but I still use Yahoo for emails, except on the site itself.  The reason?  Laziness.  Just haven't gotten around to opening the emailboxes.  Will do so, though.  Does anyone who has a site have another (better) reason?

If you like using the yahoo interface with your business e-mail get their business e-mail or web hosting. I have it and I love the e-mail interface. It's why they host my site (even though their php and pearl is restricted and I'm having a lot of problems with webforms...).

Feb 13 06 03:37 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

I'd put your avatar picture on the flip side of the beauty shot. seems more balanced that way.

Feb 13 06 05:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

William Coleman wrote:

I honestly haven't figured out how to open my E-Mail account on my server. I do like the unlimited space Gmail offers, though. Nothing gets deleted, just archived, so you can go back and find messages that are years old.

Feb 13 06 11:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Chris Mills wrote:

I honestly haven't figured out how to open my E-Mail account on my server. I do like the unlimited space Gmail offers, though. Nothing gets deleted, just archived, so you can go back and find messages that are years old.

Not to change the thread... but it is confusing to figure out the domain email, because what used to happen, is if someone wrote you at [email protected], it would come to you,but when you replied it would come from your regular email address not associated with your domain. I just used a hotmail address on my web to alleviate the confusion. Other people wouldn't recognize your reply address because that's not who they wrote to... maybe it's changed now.

BTW, Chris.... have you come to any decisions on your card?

Feb 15 06 12:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

BTW, Chris.... have you come to any decisions on your card?

I think I'm going to go with #4. Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

Feb 19 06 09:49 am Link