Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > beauty makeup schools in orange county

Model

club Jeska

Riverside, California, US

I had My heart set on going to m.u.d but its way too far for me anyone know of a makeup school in orange county?

Feb 14 06 03:13 pm Link

Model

club Jeska

Riverside, California, US

empire academy?

Feb 14 06 04:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i moved from costa mesa to the san fernando valley to go to MUD and I really liked it. Now me and my husband are moving back to OC. The courses at MUD arent very long, I mean the beauty course is like 3 or 4 weeks. I think it is easier to just make the drive or take the train.

Feb 14 06 11:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

rachelrose wrote:
i moved from costa mesa to the san fernando valley to go to MUD and I really liked it. Now me and my husband are moving back to OC. The courses at MUD arent very long, I mean the beauty course is like 3 or 4 weeks. I think it is easier to just make the drive or take the train.

Rachel has something there. If it's worth it to go to school, go to a good one, whatever it takes... I commuted 11 weeks M-F and was on the road in peak traffic hours and spent 3-5 hours driving and ten hours in school every day. Quite a few students arranged to rent an apt., or stay with a friend for the duration, and some took the train. I have a family and a home. Don't know what I would have done if I had to work a regular job too -- would have not been able to do it that way.

If you are committed, you will figure out a way smile

Feb 15 06 11:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Donna Mee

Costa Mesa, California, US

If you really want to become a makeup artist then do as much research as possible with ALL schools.  Put effort into researching your life career.  Checking out one school is ridiculous.  There are about a dozen is Southern California all within a daily drive from where you live.  I agree driving to L.A. everyday from the O.C. sucks but everything worth wile takes effort.  Most makeup schools specialize in Special Effects, monster and prosthetics.  If your goal isto work in film and that is the type of Film makeup you want to specialize in, enroll in the L.A. schools. 

However, if you are interested in Beauty/Fashion makeup for Runway or Print there is only a couple schools who focus on it.  EMPIRE Academy offers the longest program.  However, Empire is very selective about who they choose to enroll.  You can't just type in your charge card number on a web site and enroll like at most makeup schools.  You must apply for acceptance and interview for a spot on the roster.  Only those who prove to be serious, dependable and committed are accepted.  There are many check points thoughout the courses that you must meet in order to stay enrolled.  On average, several students are dismissed during each course due to lack of professionalism, knowledge retention, hands-on skills, etc.  Most graduates consider graduating from Empire to be harder than most universities. 

Most peoples thoughts of going to makeup school is that it will be very fun and easy - just playing in the makeup.  Empire is not the right place for those people.  The training is very intense.  And the outcome of graduates and their work speak  for itself.   
Donna

Feb 17 06 04:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Amy Rochell Gibson

Orange, California, US

I am a graduate of Empire Academy, and it was definitely the best decision I made.  I learned so much at Empire- The education is amazing and the small class sizes allow for more hand's on. I checked out a few other makeup schools in the LA area, and Empire by FAR outdid the other schools 110%. It is very professional and very serious. Empire gave me the confidence to succeeed in this industry- I am now working full time as a makeup artist and I give all the credit of my fabulous career to Donna Mee, because she taught me so much and I had am amazing experience at Empire- Good luck searching, but I know the best decision you will have ever made if you want to become a makeup artist is Empire Academy.

Feb 19 06 12:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Savage

Newport Beach, California, US

I don't normally post on here....but just had to on this one.

I agree with all above....DO YOUR HOMEWORK...If you do that you will know which school is best for you!

I went to Empire based on the facts that is was VERY selective of it's students, close buy to where I lived and offered the courses that I was looking for.
When I first started I thought I would breeze through it, afterall I was a straight A student all through school.  BUT.....Let me tell you, if you aren't ready to really learn your craft...go to a different school.....IT WAS REALLY HARD, but I am so thankful of all I learned....including the stuff like PROFESSIONALISM in the INDUSTRY, HYGEINE of products and TOOLS.....things other schools don't exaggerate on much.

I know that since being in the field and working full time as an artist...(average 5 days a week) Those extra skills are what keep me working.
This industry is MORE THAN JUST APPLYING COLOR IN THE RIGHT SPOTS.....it is the whole package for the job!!!!  I have since done guest speaking and teaching at Empire (for which I scout for great artist to work with me) and almost everytime I am in a new class there are graduates from other makeup schools...now paying for more education at Empire....THere aren't Empire graduates going to other schools to further their skillz, they are to busy working.
(well the ones that were kicked out of Empire might go to another school)

Also, on another note!! I have been on set and had to do makeup on models that went to Another makeup school (name not mentioned) and I must admit, I was a lil nervous working on another makeup artist from another school.  But by the time I was finished with their makeup they were asking to either assist me or what my rates for lessons were....I think that speaks VOLUMES about what I learned.  AND YES I learned everything I know about makeup (none of my skillz were natural).
I also was working on a model once who went to (name of school not mentioned)and who's mother is an instructor at that school and when she hired me to do her makeup again....her mom wanted to be there to see how I did what I did on her.

With that said....I have accomplished over 100 tear sheets, 8 covers on national magazines...and tons of national tv commercials, billboards, etc...Is a HUGE testiment to what can be accomplished with a GREAT EDUCATION.

Feb 19 06 03:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

I went to MUD and it was a good school.

However, I won't lie, since topmodel it has gotten super popular and I get myspace messages, emails and MM messages everyday asking for recommendations and advice and i tell them the same thing.

At the end of the day it comes down to your passion, focus and innate artistic ability, if you have these things, you will get the most out of your education anywhere you go. Don't let anybody tell you what school to choose or which is better than the other, because there are successful makeup artists working from all of them, all of which will probably tell you the same thing.

Feb 19 06 02:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cole Saad

Hi,
I attended Empire Academy in Costa Mesa. I could have gone to OC or LA because I live in between. I actually researched MUDD, Westmore, Blasco etc, but I felt Empire was the best choice for ME because when I left the school after a meeting and tour I had NO questions or doubts. I liked the idea that I didn't have to purchase their makeup like you do at the other schools, you get to purchase and work with what you like and can afford. The staff was very professional and they instill that into their students. They only want people who are passionate and serious about a career in makeup so you don't have to deal with people who are just in it because they are sick of the office but will never take their makeup career serious.
I think finding a school that suits your needs is extremely important, and I met some poor girls who spent an arm and a leg at other schools and didn't get the beauty knowledge they needed or wanted from other schools. So really research the schools that interest you, it's a lot of money to blow and not feel satisfied in the end. I knew this was the right school when I felt confident to start working after the first month. No one can tell you which school you should choose and I know the commute is usually a big factor but it isn't really when you think about it in the aspect that the school you choose is your foundation of your Makeup Career, it gives you the tools you need to succeed as a Makeup Artist so pick the best one for you.
Good Luck!

Feb 20 06 01:27 pm Link