Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > best airbrush makeup brand

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the industry and in the beginning stages of learning.  I really want to take an airbrush makeup workshop.  What is the best brand to use?  There are so many of them.  I don't know enough about airbrush makeup to know what to use.  Temptu, dinair, kett cosmetics, airmakeup etc.  Help!

One more question.  There are so many talented makeup artists that offer traveling workshops which one have you found to be the best?  Has anyone been to one of the Ryder makeup lab worshops?  How was it?  I'm thinking about going in March.  Which worshop is definitely worth the cost?

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Feb 15 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I actually know a lot of makeup artists that buy your average airbrush gun and use Loreal True Match foundation in it.Seems to look great as well.

Feb 15 06 01:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
Hi everyone.  I'm new to the industry and in the beginning stages of learning.  I really want to take an airbrush makeup workshop.  What is the best brand to use?  There are so many of them.  I don't know enough about airbrush makeup to know what to use.  Temptu, dinair, kett cosmetics, airmakeup etc.  Help!

One more question.  There are so many talented makeup artists that offer traveling workshops which one have you found to be the best?  Has anyone been to one of the Ryder makeup lab worshops?  How was it?  I'm thinking about going in March.  Which worshop is definitely worth the cost?

Thanks Much,
Melissa

It really depends on what kind of makeup you are wanting to do with the airbrush. I first had the Paache dual action airbrush and used it for bodypainting but the psi is hard to calibrate with my compressor. I then worked a booth with Dinair and found it really easy to learn on and use. The compressors are regulated to do 6psi for the tender skin around the eyes. Dinah is a wonderful teacher and knows her craft. Her makeup is specially formulated to work well with her airbrushes. I've used it for subtle shading on the body, a bodice for a nude model in Smashboxes Fashion Week, covering tattoos and bruises, and for full on beauty; eyes, brows, liner, foundation, blush shadow etc..

There is another thread on airbrush makeup that you might want to find.

Feb 15 06 02:04 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

It REALLY really depends on what you are going to be doing. Bodypaint, eyes and lips, foundation only, temporary tattoos, fantasy, f/x ... you get the point. What do you want to do with it?

Feb 15 06 05:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I will be using the airbrush for foundation and eyes mostly.  What is the best brand for all skintones.  I work with white, black, latina, and asian models all of the time.  I need a brand that caters to all skintones.

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Feb 15 06 06:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Temptu is great as well for foundation and the colors are great for the makeup look, artistic, I just use basic airbrush waterbased paint colors from the art store, been using them for years works fine for me!

Feb 15 06 07:19 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

BridgitC-Makeup Artist wrote:
Temptu is great as well for foundation and the colors are great for the makeup look, artistic, I just use basic airbrush waterbased paint colors from the art store, been using them for years works fine for me!

Waterbased paint...as in makeup, or artists paint?

Sorry I can't help you OP on your question...when I (rarely) need flesh tones I just mix them myself from other colors.

Feb 15 06 07:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i know a few artists that swear by revlon color stay thinned with 244 fluid.

i have yet to try it though.

Feb 15 06 10:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamy Makeup

Dunedin, Florida, US

I took James Ryder's workshop.  I'd recommend it, he teaches you the basics, some tricks and secrets and is very helpful.  The price is good too.

Feb 17 06 08:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I will be using the airbrush for foundation and eyes mostly.  What is the best brand for all skintones.  I work with white, black, latina, and asian models all of the time.  I need a brand that caters to all skintones.

Thanks Much,
Melissa

The basic beauty kit through www.dinair.com has all the foundation colors you will need. I did 14 different models and matched dead on. All ethnicities. Their paints are formulated for the face, eyes, lips, etc.. check them out. Temptu also had nice paints (silicone based).

Feb 17 06 12:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Synthe

Atlanta, Georgia, US

As a Make-up Artist, Body painter and Instructor sponsored by TEMPTU...hands down you know that I must say that TEMPTU is on point!  It truly depends on you and what you are attempting to achieve.  TEMPTU makes products for body painting, face painting, theatre, stage, film, live performances etc. etc. etc. There is the Silicone base formula excellent for Hi-def film, weddings, photography and most occasions.  The dura finish and aqua finish are great for face and body painting and covering tattoos. 

But; nonetheless, it takes practice.  Always have in mind and know without a doubt what you want your finished look to be.  Then you can determine what formula will be best.

Synthe
www.syntheonline.com

Feb 23 06 08:57 pm Link