Forums > General Industry > Why is everything so last minute?

Makeup Artist

Make Up by Amanda

Malden, New York, US

I see lots of casting calls for something coming up within the next two days, I always get offers but it's usually for the next day. I love what I do and all but at such late notice I find it hard to drop things I've got going on, schedule travel, and get to the job. It's really been hurting me lately. With more notice I might actually be finding more work. It's dissappointing when I've got to pass up a job because I wasn't given enough time. Does this happen a lot? Does it get on anyone elses nerves? Is it just part of the business? Please help! lol

Feb 15 06 02:20 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

Make Up by Amanda wrote:
I see lots of casting calls for something coming up within the next two days, I always get offers but it's usually for the next day. I love what I do and all but at such late notice I find it hard to drop things I've got going on, schedule travel, and get to the job. It's really been hurting me lately. With more notice I might actually be finding more work. It's dissappointing when I've got to pass up a job because I wasn't given enough time. Does this happen a lot? Does it get on anyone elses nerves? Is it just part of the business? Please help! lol

I think it is annoying too.

Feb 15 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

FWIW, most of the shoots that I've gotten lately were with only a couple of days' notice. I got an inquiry on Fri for a shoot on Mon AM (but I was already booked and couldn't take it). It's difficult to give the crew notice when you don't have a shoot date confirmed yet.

Wm

Feb 15 06 03:05 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I hear ya!  It's a crappy feeling to miss out on an opportunity b/c you can't get there on such short notice.  I have to ask off at work, budget for travel.............  So, last minute stuff, unless it's really close to me, just doesn't work out.  sad

Feb 15 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I think it is just the nature of the beast.  It has nothing to do with big or small.  I have seen it happen with large producers.

I performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live.  We had been talking for three months before they finally called me in for an audition.  Then I get a call and ask if I can come down that afternoon to sing for the producer.  They wanted me on the show that week.

There turned out to be a time issue with the producer so I was brought in the next day.  I performed and afterwards they told me that I wouldn't be on the show that week because of the one day delay getting me in.  I should expect to hear from them the next week to know if I was going on, and if so, when.

At 9:00PM that night I got a call from the producer's assistant asking me if I could do the show the next day.  They wanted me on so they made time.

As I see it, short notice is better than no bookings.  The most successful people in this business have the freedom to react to fickle schedules.

Feb 15 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Almost all of my bookings are 3 weeks to 2 months in advance, or further in advance for special circumstances (when either I or the model have to travel a long way (or both!)).

Feb 15 06 03:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up by Amanda

Malden, New York, US

I guess I'll just have to learn to get used to it.

Feb 15 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Geeze...Stop...it's the greatest invention ever!
If it wasn't for 'the last minute', things would never get done!

Paul

Feb 16 06 02:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up by Amanda

Malden, New York, US

HAHAHA true.

Feb 16 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah...

*puts up hand*

Guilty....sorry...

I am today trying to book a makeup artist for Sunday.

Between either forgetting a detail like that (between booking the models and stylist and location and planning and approving and communicating with everyone...) or the original makeup artist canceling or changing plans, it seems that the last minute is the only time I get anything done.

sad

Feb 16 06 11:14 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Yeah, I wish that some of the casting calls were for at least 2 weeks in advance.  I work 5 days a week (although starting next week, I'm only working weekends, but still have lacrosse 5 days during the week) and I need two weeks notice to take a day off at work.  If I could, I would model full-time, but I'm still in school and it's almost impossible to get a gig for everyday of the week... unless that's just me!  haha

-alexandra

Feb 16 06 12:03 pm Link