Forums > General Industry > managers & models

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Okay I have run across "models" who either say they dont have representation or they dont need it. Then I find that most dont know how to compose/format a proper industry-specific resume let alone the standard practices, principles and logistics that have governed the industry long before any of us were born.

Again legit managers, talent agents, booking agents, etc are a historical and essential part of the multi-million dollar industry.

SO why would anyone have a problem, whether photog or model, with dealing with LEGIT representation?

Feb 17 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

keyword here is "LEGIT" managers and most are not legit....

especially if they are on sites such as these booking gigs for thier models and don't book anything for them besides the net and net work and posing for photographers...

Also...depending on what the model has in store for her modeling career she is fine being freelance...

Feb 17 06 04:12 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I don't think we have problems dealing with legit representation...but we have a problem dealing with scams which seem to be the majority that are out there.

managers are really for people who desire help in getting signed with agency.  most people can find out whether or not an agency will take them or what they need to do to get into an agency without having to pay a manager

**ding ding* food is ready so I will have to come back to this smile

Feb 17 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
I don't think we have problems dealing with legit[b/] representation...but we have a problem dealing with [b]scams which seem to be the majority that are out there.

managers are really for people who desire help in getting signed with agency.  most people can find out whether or not an agency will take them or what they need to do to get into an agency without having to pay a manager

what cha eating?

Feb 17 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
I don't think we have problems dealing with legit[b/] representation...but we have a problem dealing with [b]scams which seem to be the majority that are out there.

actually there is the personal manager and the business manager...there is the talent agent and the booking agent.... when you say "out there" what do you mean?

Feb 17 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

id like to share a story: years and years ago, in New York, I was legitimately studying acting in NY...a lot of you may not have been born..LOL..i was a teenager and I was enjoying studying The Method and Improvisation in Manhattan...without consulting my acting teachers I thought I was ready to send my Headshot and resume out using the then publications: Show Business and Back Stage...well, I got a call from a well-known director who was then working for Orion Pictures..his name is Phillip Kaufman and the film he was calling me in for was The Wanderers.

Now, I did not know then that a drrector just doesnt call you in to his office unless he has something big in store for you..neither did I know who Kaufman was...as a matter of fact, it wouldnt be until some years later while a film student and in a Film and Literature class that we read the book The Unbearable Lightness of Being and watching his film adaptation that I really understood my unpreparedness....

my point: if I had an agent...as much as I thought I was ready, I wasnt..in terms of look I might have and maybe even talent but I didnt understand the business!!!

Feb 17 06 04:26 pm Link