Makeup Artist

Suzanna Green

Penzance, England, United Kingdom

Can anyone suggest a good foundation/technique/anything to help reduce the appearance of facial hair? I have a couple of female models that have quite hairy faces- nothing too drastic unless we do close up photographs. the model is a really good model but i am having problems with the facial hair. We don't want to spend ages on photoshop so any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Jun 19 08 04:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

Remove the hair with wax (if you're qualified) or an eyebrow shaver.

Nothing you can do makeup-wise (short of sfx and prosthetics) will really eliminate the texture of hair on the face.

If it's a dark color that is the issue, you can lighten the hair with a cream bleach.

Jun 19 08 08:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Carla Sakrzewski

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Get that hair outta there!

Seriously, I'm not suggesting they shave, but if it is their lip, they should have it waxed, and if it's for close up work, maybe they could try a depilitory  (sp?) cream, just for the shoot.

Jun 19 08 08:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Carla Sakrzewski

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Cynthia ORourke wrote:

Nothing you can do makeup-wise (short of sfx and prosthetics) will really eliminate the texture of hair on the face.

Hi Cynthia, we crossed posts!  I bought one of those eyebrow shavers and it was useless.  What brand do you have?  Maybe mine was just a crappy brand.  The blade certainly wasn't sharp enough to do precision work.

Jun 19 08 08:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

If I'm shooting beauty, I always bring one of those little battery operated trimmers for the face. I've had too many beauty shots ruined by hair. That and it came in handy when I was doing catalog and had to clip/shave hair off the back of the neck. They are about 10 bucks and a hell of an investment.

Jun 19 08 03:08 pm Link

Model

LelaHazary

Los Angeles, California, US

Carla Sakrzewski wrote:

Hi Cynthia, we crossed posts!  I bought one of those eyebrow shavers and it was useless.  What brand do you have?  Maybe mine was just a crappy brand.  The blade certainly wasn't sharp enough to do precision work.

as a model, i have to tell you its kind of unfair to request a girl to shave her face.  dont use anything on someone else that you wouldnt use on yourself.

bring small pre waxed strips.  they work well, you can cut them to size.  no mess.  you can heat with a blow dryer for optimum results.  and most importantly, you wont be leaving your model with a bigger problem than she started off with

Jun 19 08 03:21 pm Link

Model

LelaHazary

dp

Jun 19 08 03:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

liz yu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

unfortunately girls with excessively hairy face just aren't the right fit for close up beauty shots.. unless they do something about it themselves to maintain their professionalism.  if he/she's a serious beauty model, he/she'll be keeping his/her face clean.

you wouldn't use the models that don't have the right look for a fashion editorial, so why would you use the model for beauty if she doesn't have what it takes?

Jun 19 08 03:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

LelaHazary wrote:
as a model, i have to tell you its kind of unfair to request a girl to shave her face.  dont use anything on someone else that you wouldnt use on yourself.

You are absolutely right.  That's why the model should take care of the issue before-hand.  But if she didn't, well I have used both wax and shaver on myself with no ill effects... at least I'm not growing a beard yet... and have no problem explaining the issue to the model and how I plan to remedy it.  I would never remove hair from a person's face without their ok first.

Carla:
I rarely use the eyebrow shaver thingy, but it's nice to have in a pinch.  I get some no-name brand in a package of three.  I think the trick is getting the right angle on a persons face, what with the nose and orbital bones and such getting in the way.  I've never had a problem with sharpness on a new razor.  Maybe you're doing it in the wrong direction?

Jun 19 08 04:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Guerra

I use eyebrow shavers...I call them my "chola shavers" cause that's what the homegirls round here use for their sexiness...

I got a pack of 100 for 18 dollars in downtown LA....
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles … _45271.jpg

And I use them to shape eyebrows now instead of tweezing to give the girl the option to have thicker eyebrows if she wants instead of killing her hair follicle after repeated tweezing.

Jun 19 08 04:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

vanessa perez

Christina M G wrote:
I use eyebrow shavers...I call them my "chola shavers" cause that's what the homegirls round here use for their sexiness...

I got a pack of 100 for 18 dollars in downtown LA....
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles … _45271.jpg

And I use them to shape eyebrows now instead of tweezing to give the girl the option to have thicker eyebrows if she wants instead of killing her hair follicle after repeated tweezing.

lol so true Christina so true.

Jun 19 08 05:07 pm Link

Model

LelaHazary

Christina M G wrote:
I use eyebrow shavers...

but what girl wants the option of having a thicker mustache?

Jun 19 08 05:25 pm Link

Model

Staceyyyy

Swansea, Illinois, US

i love faces with noticable facial hair...  (all over, makes the photos look so
much more detailed).
but not, mistaches...or beards or anything like that lol.

Jun 19 08 05:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Guerra

LelaHazary wrote:

but what girl wants the option of having a thicker mustache?

Hey girl...that's an old wive's tale, shaving does not make your hair grow back thicker...

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hairgrow.asp

or just google it....

Believe me, I'm Mexican and Italian, we are hirstute people and I would not want to inflict that curse on anyone else!

smile

Jun 19 08 05:53 pm Link

Model

LelaHazary

Christina M G wrote:

Hey girl...that's an old wive's tale, shaving does not make your hair grow back thicker...

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hairgrow.asp

or just google it....

Believe me, I'm Mexican and Italian, we are hirstute people and I would not want to inflict that curse on anyone else!

smile

well, im getting laser and the licensed medical practitioners told me to shave 7 weeks prior to initial treatment to stimulate hair growth... hmm  they are wrong?  it doesnt stimulate hair growth?

Jun 19 08 05:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Guerra

LelaHazary wrote:

well, im getting laser and the licensed medical practitioners told me to shave 7 weeks prior to initial treatment to stimulate hair growth... hmm  they are wrong?  it doesnt stimulate hair growth?

I don't know what to tell you, it's pretty well known that shaving does not make your hair grow back faster. There are tons of medical links on Google...the last link on the page shows scientific tests proving otherwise. I honestly don't why they would tell you that, unless you normally wax or something...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe … tnG=Search

Jun 19 08 06:00 pm Link

Model

LelaHazary

Christina M G wrote:

I don't know what to tell you, it's pretty well known that shaving does not make your hair grow back faster. There are tons of medical links on Google...the last link on the page shows scientific tests proving otherwise. I honestly don't why they would tell you that, unless you normally wax or something...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe … tnG=Search

then why dont women shave their faces like men?  i read the links, its very interesting.  it just doesnt seem backed up by reality.  if shaving had no bad effect than why dont women shave their faces?  why do girls i know have bad results when experimenting with shaving their bellies or arms?  its not that i dont believe you, its just that i have seen and do see it differently.

Jun 19 08 06:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Guerra

Because when you’re shaving it you’re cutting across the hair's midshaft. It exposes the thicker part of your hair...think of it like a stick of bamboo, it's tapered at the top and thicker in the middle, if you cut the bamboo across its seems thicker.

And women don't tend to shave their faces because we in general have less facial hair than men. You would be surprised at how many women shave their faces and don't admit it, shaving is much less traumatizing to the skin than waxing, I would never wax someone on set for fear of irritation.

Also hair removers and waxers remove hair at the root, not at the surface so yes there is less upkeep because you physically pulled or dissolved the entire hair.

It's like trimming plants versus ripping the entire thing out.

Sorry honey, it's been scientifically proven... I really can't say anything more to make you see it that way.

Jun 19 08 06:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ZenaDamali

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Cynthia ORourke wrote:

If it's a dark color that is the issue, you can lighten the hair with a cream bleach.

Excellent advice.

I will be an esthetician soon and my advice would be to wax all of the noticeable facial hair (besides brows) on the face.  Its quick, easy, and yields lovely results. Contrary to popular belief the hair does not grow back thicker, it actually grows back finer because the hair is being removed from the follicle.

Jun 19 08 06:18 pm Link

Model

LelaHazary

Christina M G wrote:
Because when you’re shaving it you’re cutting across the hair's midshaft. It exposes the thicker part of your hair...think of it like a stick of bamboo, it's tapered at the top and thicker in the middle, if you cut the bamboo across its seems thicker.

And women don't tend to shave their faces because we in general have less facial hair than men. You would be surprised at how many women shave their faces and don't admit it, shaving is much less traumatizing to the skin than waxing, I would never wax someone on set for fear of irritation.

Also hair removers and waxers remove hair at the root, not at the surface so yes there is less upkeep because you physically pulled or dissolved the entire hair.

It's like trimming plants versus ripping the entire thing out.

well, i just looked at your port and if talent = authority, i guess you must be right wink

while i still need convincing, i have some googling to do now.  thanks for the info

lela

Jun 19 08 06:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Guerra

Aw thank for the compliment babe. ::chases you with a razor::

Also, let it be known I rarely need to bust out a razor, usually only for smaller things like a few stray eyebrow hairs.

I find sponging or brushing on makeup in a downward stroke and omitting powder can definitely reduce the appearance of facial hairs.

Jun 19 08 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Christina M G wrote:
shaving is much less traumatizing to the skin than waxing, I would never wax someone on set for fear of irritation.

Thanks, I was actually wondering that myself (irritation), but being the only straight male (just a guess) reading this thread, I was too chicken to ask!! big_smile

Jun 19 08 06:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Vaugn Makeup

As both a model and an MUA, I'm confused why models would ever show up to a shoot unkept-
It took one headshot many moons ago for me to see why I needed to go get waxed...so I did...and no one has had to make the suggestion to me twice.

Jun 19 08 06:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Suzanna Green

Penzance, England, United Kingdom

Thanks. I think i will be more selective when picking a model for close beauty work. I agree that i would never ask a model to do something i wasn't prepared to do myself. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to waxing but if it came down to it i guess i could be brave smile

Jun 20 08 04:41 am Link

Model

Sin Singh

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

what about females who have 'peach fuzz' all over their face?

My sister was born not hairy but fuzzy.. it's ALL OVER her face.

I honestly think those are pretty in a beauty close-up.

Jun 20 08 01:30 pm Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Suzanna Green wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good foundation/technique/anything to help reduce the appearance of facial hair? I have a couple of female models that have quite hairy faces- nothing too drastic unless we do close up photographs. the model is a really good model but i am having problems with the facial hair. We don't want to spend ages on photoshop so any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Threading works like a gem for me, and really lasts because it removes from the root.

Fyi it is very painful if you are doing it for the first time, but you will eventually get used to it after a few times. I do it myself, it is very easy to learn, and is the most inexpensive and effective form of hair removal. No razor bumps - just a slight redness that, for me, goes away in minutes. It also gets rid of new growth at the shortest length - from the root. No waiting for just the right length to get a silky smooth feel. Threading can be done at any growth interval.

Jun 20 08 11:02 pm Link

Model

Lady Bronze

XXX Sinistre wrote:

I think it's very pretty too. I was just thinking that when I read the post.

Kind of like goosebumps under a soft natural light - so naturally beautiful.

Jun 20 08 11:03 pm Link

Model

Jordana Joyce

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Suzanna Green wrote:

I cant stress it enough: wax wax wax! If one is a model, one has to remove noticable facial hair, otherwise the foundation and powders wont sit properly upon the skin casting some type of shadow in areas. Peach fuzz is okay but if it concerns the upper lip, chin, sideburns a model must find a way to do hair removal. Maybe you can mention waxing to the models. Its something to take under consideration smile Good luck!

Jun 20 08 11:08 pm Link

Model

Jordana Joyce

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Make Up by Jessica wrote:
As both a model and an MUA, I'm confused why models would ever show up to a shoot unkept-
It took one headshot many moons ago for me to see why I needed to go get waxed...so I did...and no one has had to make the suggestion to me twice.

EXACTLY wink

Jun 20 08 11:09 pm Link

Model

Chrissi bronson

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Lady Bronze wrote:

I think it's very pretty too. I was just thinking that when I read the post.

Kind of like goosebumps under a soft natural light - so naturally beautiful.

I 3rd it!!!! that little peach fuzz can be soo adorable!!!

Jun 20 08 11:12 pm Link

Model

Sierra Sunshine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

LelaHazary wrote:

Heard that too, it gives them better access to the folicles, but i've never heard the 7 days part.

Jun 20 08 11:13 pm Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

XXX Sinistre wrote:

Hehehe, I have that!  I don't need to wax my upper lip or anything of that sort because the hair is so fine and completely blonde.  Sometimes I'll run one of the aforementioned "chola trimmers" over my cheeks if I don't want it to show on shoots, but I usually don't touch it.  My mother and sister have it, too.

Marilyn Monroe had a peach fuzzy face that she refused to "fix" because she felt that it gave her a glow on screen and in photos.

Jun 22 08 09:41 pm Link

Model

name changed

London, Arkansas, US

I have thin downy white hair all over my body,including my face
its not really noticable
ive wanted to remove it off my face
but hair removal cream left my skin very dry so never did it again!
was thinking of laser..
but hairs to fine and pale
what do i do
ive heard of an alkaline wash...

xo

Jun 27 08 09:05 pm Link

Model

Unique Songbird

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am having that problem with the hairy face as well. I have tried threading and the waxing has seem to make it more noticeable to me. I did not notice it at first but now when the hair grows back, it is like OMGosh, your face is hairy! I am mixed with India Indian and I do not know if this is the cause of my hairy-ness, but I am trying to fix it before I start getting my portfolio built. So your advice is greatly appreciated, although this is for the other lady,..............sorry!

Jun 28 08 05:52 pm Link

Model

Zandrea

Miami, Florida, US

There is a new at home laser hair removal device called the NO!NO! its going to be available in the us in September.
It already achieved the best seller status in Europe and SO. America.

it uses thermodynamic wire to painlessly heat and kill hair follicles, resulting in permanent hair reduction.  It costs around $250

Jun 28 08 09:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mandamonium

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Zandrea wrote:
There is a new at home laser hair removal device called the NO!NO! its going to be available in the us in September.
It already achieved the best seller status in Europe and SO. America.

it uses thermodynamic wire to painlessly heat and kill hair follicles, resulting in permanent hair reduction.  It costs around $250

It's actually already available at sephora.com but not recommended for use on the face or "delicate areas". 

Would be amazing if it really works.  Has anyone tried it?

Jun 28 08 09:24 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Monica hair-mua

Long Beach, California, US

Mandamonium wrote:

It's actually already available at sephora.com but not recommended for use on the face or "delicate areas". 

Would be amazing if it really works.  Has anyone tried it?

A few of my clients have used it on their legs and arm hair. But you're right its not recommended to use on the face or bikini area. Trust me I have been looking for somthing to do at home. I inherited a few stray hairs on my chin from my mother and honestly I either shave it off or use nair for the face. No problems no extra hair growing in and it doesn't come back thicker. That is a myth like stated above.

Jun 28 08 10:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Aeni

Phoenix, Arizona, US

You've already got all the good responses.  But if you have to do FX on them at some point, they'll need to shave due to the glues and you not getting a good blending edge, etc.  Also some paints out there like PAX only enhance the fact that they have hair and also matt it all together into a funny looking mess.

Not to mention that's hard to get off.

Jun 29 08 12:57 pm Link