Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Proper Protocol

Hair Stylist

Dee of Doriijinal

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I am a hair stylist with my salon and ma starting out with make up, my thing is I am starting to do photoshoots and I want to know what generally is supposed to happen as far as the planning and benefits of the photos. I usually do not meet my models till the day of and their hair is a wreck, skin horrible yada yada. I generally do okay but I sometimes get frustrated because the looks hardly benefit me for the line of work I do. At the same time I am trying to get into print. I am starting out please give me some good advice. Thank you Diane

Feb 17 06 10:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Doriijinal wrote:
I am a hair stylist with my salon and ma starting out with make up, my thing is I am starting to do photoshoots and I want to know what generally is supposed to happen as far as the planning and benefits of the photos. I usually do not meet my models till the day of and their hair is a wreck, skin horrible yada yada. I generally do okay but I sometimes get frustrated because the looks hardly benefit me for the line of work I do. At the same time I am trying to get into print. I am starting out please give me some good advice. Thank you Diane

who is now putting these shoots together?

Why do you only meet the models day of?

What about the photos do you not like so far?

Feb 17 06 10:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i always see the models before hand. if their look wont benefit my book... i don't shoot with them.

wasting time with bad photographers and models was a mistake that i made earlier in my career.

if anything be extra picky with test shoots.

Feb 18 06 12:37 am Link

Hair Stylist

Dee of Doriijinal

I think that is what I am doing- wasting time with bad models. The photographer I use says he is helping me but so far I am not happy. He is a good photographer but does not listen to me. Also I am in Japan and it is hard for an american stylist to find a good photographer and models to showcase work. I want to know how to execute a shoot that benefits everyone especially me.

Feb 18 06 05:04 am Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

Doriijinal wrote:
I think that is what I am doing- wasting time with bad models. The photographer I use says he is helping me but so far I am not happy. He is a good photographer but does not listen to me. Also I am in Japan and it is hard for an american stylist to find a good photographer and models to showcase work. I want to know how to execute a shoot that benefits everyone especially me.

my advice would be to find yourself the models that will benefit your book ( specially with testing ) and then pick the photographer that will capture the right images of them . It seems that you might have to do that in order to get what you want since you will be in charge then. But you should always see at least a picture of the model you will be working with prior to the shoot, and discuss the looks and concepts with all parties so everyone knows what to expect ( again prior to the testing day ).
Good luck!

Feb 18 06 09:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Doriijinal wrote:

the way it works is the one paying gets to make the rules.  If he isn't paying you he doesnt get to make the rules.  I would let him know that from now on you get stuff you need or he pays you, he gets to pick. 

I wouldnt let him pick the models, that has to be a mutual decision...again, unless he would like to pay you.  The girls currently in your portfolio are not going to help you  in the print world...you need to get real models...I would try the agencies in your area, test with models and photographers that the agents use.

Feb 18 06 11:59 am Link

Hair Stylist

Dee of Doriijinal

Thanks for the help this will help me out a lot. I have a lot more talent than is shown and am ready to expound on it. I just did not know what or how to do it but again thanks for the help I will use the advice.

Feb 19 06 07:46 am Link