Forums > General Industry > NY Times on Self-Portraiture

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

In this NY Times article, the MySpaceesque digital self-portrait that many models here started with is explored as folk art.

"There's always a theatrical quality to their shots," [Jim Taylor, a trend consultant at the Harrison Group in Waterbury, Conn.] said. "Kids love melancholy and sadness. There is lots of obvious symbolism about whether they see themselves as an actress, a model, a Christ figure or a Hamlet."

(The emphasis is mine.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/fashi … nd&emc=rss

Feb 18 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Brandi Jo

Feb 18 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

That was a great read - thanx BD..

Feb 18 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Honestly, I just ran across it, but the "Photogs. What do you look like?" thread made me thinking about self-portraits, and I shot a lot last night, and one the night before.

My favorite college drawing teacher said (as she asigned a semester-long self-portrait project) that "every act of creation is an act of self-exploration."  Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."  Where would we be in this world without Van Gogh's or Rembrandt's self-portraits?

I dig self-portraits.

Feb 18 06 12:15 pm Link

Model

Brandi Jo

I always feel like I can see "me" through my eyes better than anyone else's

Feb 18 06 12:17 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

heh....what does my self portrait say then? i love it....i think i will always keep it in my portfolio.
hmmm....a model, a wannabe star, a narcissist?

Feb 18 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Brandi Jo wrote:

Interesting that is the exact opinion of those same teens they interviewed in the article.

I tend to disagree... *You* see yourself the least realistically of anyone in the entire world.

Feb 18 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Brandi Jo wrote:

your perspective is indeed a unique one...but those on the outside looking in do can see past all the internal anxieties and insecurities...but...you are correct.

Feb 18 06 09:19 pm Link