Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > hairstyling for makeup artists

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I'd like to learn some new hairstyling and extension techniques.  I am not a licensed hairstylist.  Most hairstyling workshops require that you be licensed to attend their workshops.  Are there any classes that do not require a license?  Are there any good books to learn hair styling?  Or what is the best way to learn hairstyling?

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Feb 20 06 01:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

CottonRouge-KatieCotton

Greenville, South Carolina, US

See if you can work one on one with a hair stylist that is licensed or at least has good techniques.  You can either assist them on some jobs, watch them in their place of employment (if thats allowed), do it at their home, etc.  I'm licensed in hair either but this is how i learned extentions, etc.  Hope that helps!

Feb 20 06 01:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

yah totally agree become all buddy buddy with a hair dresser , my cuzin has been such a great help to me :0, they are often willing to teach you maybe you can do their make-up for an event or somthing do a knowlege trade, i have done a couple of these and they have worked out so well for all parties involved.

Feb 21 06 08:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Fred Segal Beauty has a two-day workshop called Hairstyling for Makeup Artists.  I'm planning to take it.  www.fredsegalbeauty.com

Feb 23 06 10:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I'd like to learn some new hairstyling and extension techniques.  I am not a licensed hairstylist.  Most hairstyling workshops require that you be licensed to attend their workshops.  Are there any classes that do not require a license?  Are there any good books to learn hair styling?  Or what is the best way to learn hairstyling?

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Check out Patrick Cameron's books at Amazon.com Great info with pictures!!! No extension work tho --

Feb 24 06 12:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

faithb wrote:
Fred Segal Beauty has a two-day workshop called Hairstyling for Makeup Artists.  I'm planning to take it.  www.fredsegalbeauty.com

A MUA I know took the fred segal workshop and she said that it was awful and she didnt learn anything.

Feb 24 06 01:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

rachelrose wrote:
A MUA I know took the fred segal workshop and she said that it was awful and she didnt learn anything.

Really?  Wow.  I took a styling workshop there and loved it, came away with lots of resources and tips.  I was hoping that the hairstyling would be of that quality as well.  Not counting them out, but I'm going to continue doing research.  Thanks!

Feb 25 06 05:09 pm Link