Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What foundation is good for me?

Model

Crystalle L

Orlando, Florida, US

I sometimes do my own make up for shoots. However, I have been having problems finding the right foundation. My face is dry, but my t-zone is somewhat oily (not the greatest combo, I know). Some foundations bring out my dry skin and make my skin look horrible. I need suggestions for what brands and if I should use powder or liquid. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Feb 22 06 09:16 am Link

Model

CAPRI

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, US

I am not a stylist but a makeup I use that works really awesome that might work for you is maybelline - age minimizing its liquid. gives a great finish and it keeps my skin moisturized. also if you dont you should try olay face lotions or any other for that matter before you apply the foundation.

Feb 22 06 09:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Ok well first 3 rules before you apply any makeup is Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize!!  Moisturizing is very important.  It makes foundation (especially liquid) go on smoother that way you dont get that dry look.  Also you can use a base mattifyer to keep you from shining on those oily spots.

Feb 22 06 10:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

use only professional foundation like RCMA, Cinema Secrets, Joe Blasco etc....store bought makeup is too high in Titanium Dioxide and will flash back a lighter color, its also not high enough pigment for photography.  The very expensive makeup like Channel etc have a lot of Titanium Dioxide, dont use this for photography.....ANYTHING with reflective qualities like "age defying" or anything with sunscreen can be a big prolem sith flash photography

Feb 22 06 11:15 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

after i put a cream/liquid foundation, i then go over the T-zone with a powder foundation to minimize the shine.

Feb 22 06 11:25 am Link

Model

CAPRI

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, US

Mary thanks for the advice but maybe being a darker skin tone i dont have that problem as much ? ive used that foundation and its worked pretty well on the camera. Ive also had makeup done by a MUA and I saw no difference in the foundation other than hers was a lot more thick of course (nothing wrong with that).

Feb 22 06 11:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Capri Cherry wrote:
Mary thanks for the advice but maybe being a darker skin tone i dont have that problem as much ? ive used that foundation and its worked pretty well on the camera. Ive also had makeup done by a MUA and I saw no difference in the foundation other than hers was a lot more thick of course (nothing wrong with that).

if any thing the cheaper makeup containing titinium dioxide will make your skin look ashy. I would highly sudgest investing in a good makeup such as ben ney, RCMA, or Cinima Secrets. you will only need to purchase your skin tone and perhaps a highlight and a contour clour, your images will look better and your skin appera to  be flawless.

Feb 22 06 01:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Crystal L wrote:
I sometimes do my own make up for shoots. However, I have been having problems finding the right foundation. My face is dry, but my t-zone is somewhat oily (not the greatest combo, I know). Some foundations bring out my dry skin and make my skin look horrible. I need suggestions for what brands and if I should use powder or liquid. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize
yup these are the 3 golden rules before sitting in my chair. If you dont know how to do this let me explain
buy products for your skin type ( face is dry, but  t-zone is some what oily ) this is VERY common.
then wash your face with either a scrub or a cleanser after you wake up and before you go to bed. If you sleep with your make-up on your adding 3 days to your face. WASH YOUR FACE !!!!
then using a Toner made for your skin type  apply to your skin with a cotton pad let air dry
then apply moisturizer to your whole face and neck. just make sure you get a moisturizer that is made for your skin type.
then once absourbed (sp) apply foundation
I would sudgest RCMA ,Ben Nye, Cinima Secrets, Cover FX, these are the best photography foundations,
then  powder over top of your whole face, you might need to add some to your t zone as the shoot goes on. just remeber a little goes a long way, you dont want to look dusty. hope that helps smile

Feb 22 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

where can you buy those better brands?

Feb 22 06 01:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

divas touch

Miami, Florida, US

Thanks

I would love to help you out but Mary Erickson speaks the truth as far as foundations go. Cinema Secrets, or Kryolan or Ben Nye + Joe Blasco concealor and Dermacolor for thicker coverage if you have scars.

I live in Florida and GBS carries and Ricky's NY have the line I'm mentioning. You live in Orlando you have Joe Blasco makeup artistry School there they carry the supplies. I taught an airbrush course up there at the Gaylord Palms and checked Joe Blasco out and some of your costume shops also carry Kryolan palletes. if you work your way down to Miami I'll be more than happy to help you out email-me [email protected]

Madeline-Vicky

Feb 22 06 01:38 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

BeneFit,MAC & Smashbox makeup both make what I call a "primer" that you're supposed to use before you apply foundation. It gives your skin a nice silky touch and matte appearance.I like to use a tinted moisturiser instead of foundation in the winter since my skin likes to dry out in the colder months.Like others have said, Oil of Olay is great.

Feb 22 06 06:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

model7299 wrote:
where can you buy those better brands?

you can get them off of Mary's web site or you should be able to find them at any makeup supply place that sells theatrical makeup

Feb 22 06 08:06 pm Link

Model

Crystalle L

Orlando, Florida, US

Thank you everyone for your responses- I really appreciate it. I'm going to go ahead and head over to joe blasco since its local. Also, Madeline-Vicky, I might be in Miami in mid March, I'll email you if I make it down there. Thanks

Thanks again to everyone

Feb 23 06 07:08 pm Link