Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Just Starting Out (MUA)

Makeup Artist

TiaDanielle

Upper Marlboro, Maryland, US

Any words of advice for a make-up artist just starting to make a name for herself?

I'm scared to death of failing at this, one because I'm a perfectionist and can't deal with anything less, and two because I have put alot of money into it, and lastly three, it is my passion......and if I fail at my passion what do I have?

I know I have alot to learn:

*skincare
*and listening to other people's opinions, because apparently even though I think so, a MUA isn't always right (personal experience)

I want people to trust in me and believe in the fact that I can enhance beauty.

Of course I believe in myself, that part is easy

I don't know........please just give tid bits of info. that you would like to share.

Feb 23 06 12:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

TiaDanielle wrote:
Any words of advice for a make-up artist just starting to make a name for herself?

I'm scared to death of failing at this, one because I'm a perfectionist and can't deal with anything less, and two because I have put alot of money into it, and lastly three, it is my passion......and if I fail at my passion what do I have?

I know I have alot to learn:

*skincare
*and listening to other people's opinions, because apparently even though I think so, a MUA isn't always right (personal experience)

I want people to trust in me and believe in the fact that I can enhance beauty.

Of course I believe in myself, that part is easy

I don't know........please just give tid bits of info. that you would like to share.

well for starters do you have any education in the field of make-up or are you just a girl with a make-up kit.? kinda like a guy with a camera

whay do you hope to accomplish in this field ?

do you want to do fashion or bridal or work in film ect. ect. ect?

if you dont have formal training ,why?? there are some amazing schools out there. I dont think that every one need to go to school but it helps if you go to a really good one, fundementals are a key in this industry

your work is a lot of point and click shots I would sudgest doing alot of tfp.
i cant see you getting much work with what you have in your portfolio,From expreiance just because you can do make-up on your self doesnt mean you can do it on other people.

this industry is an up hill battle, not to many people out there to hold your hand and make things happen for you you have to make them happen for your self
as a mua you need to be Fast, Clean and awsome at what you do. you cant be  subpar, no one will hire you if you dont have a lttle something extra to offer.

you should be ready to fail this will make you want it more.

skin care is a huge part of my job, i am obsessive when it comes to skin.

so my biggest sudgestion is to do LOTS of TFP get some real pictures into your book, its really the only way someone can give you a fair critique, cuz right now its very hard to tell if you have "it"

sorry if i am beeing to blunt but thats just the way i am....
Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Feb 23 06 01:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Marcia Dionne

Frisco, Texas, US

Yeah what she said.

Do you even have a kit?  If so does it have the essentials?  Could you go to a shoot and do make-up for any type of model (male, black, white, chinese, indian)?  I would definitely start contacting models and photogs in your area to see if you could to TFP with them.  Try to get really good looking models for your port, people w/ strong faces.  Work on different looks, see what other people are doing.  Don't imitate it exactly but it should help you get some new ideas. 

Good Luck!

~Marcia Dionne~

Feb 23 06 01:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TiaDanielle

Upper Marlboro, Maryland, US

Thanks for your reply

I do appreciate you being blunt, I myself can be that way

but I must say that I am more than just a girl with kit..........I am a woman with a kit and desire to become a celebrity make-up artist; television, film, music artist, videos

I am very upfront with the people that I may work for about my level of knowledge and experience I have and I think that that is very important in whatever it is that you do

When the finances work for me I will get professional training, I plan on attending Fred Segal's Workshop on Make-Up Artistry

The pictures on my profile aren't the greatest but those are the only ones I had on computer, I contact photographers, and models all the time about doing TFP........I even reach out to other make-up artist who have more years in it than I do to see if they need assistance on any jobs

It's all about networking and acquiring information and that's what I try to do every day...............It'll work out for me............I'll have better pictures soon...........you'll just wait and see :-)    I will be up there with you'll

Feb 23 06 01:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

but I must say that I am more than just a girl with kit..........I am a woman with a kit and desire to become a celebrity make-up artist; television, film, music artist, videos

Girl, woman, female whatever....... The bottom line is this is a hard uphill industry as someone earlier stated.
I would suggest that you start out assisting another MUA that is in the field that you are tyring to get into and a good one to get some knowledge and experience.
Also you need to surround yourself with someone that knows the business aspect of it too. Good luck....

Feb 23 06 03:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Other advice is to maybe get better images than the ones you have up before you start offering your services, even photographers that are just starting out and have some ability and will offer TFP/TFCD will want to see images that are more industry type (if that makes sense).... Just seek out someone that has experience doing makeup and has a photographer that works with them and put up images that are of some quality and really show your skill level now to help you get work or TFP's.....

TiaDanielle wrote:
Thanks for your reply

I do appreciate you being blunt, I myself can be that way

I am very upfront with the people that I may work for about my level of knowledge and experience I have and I think that that is very important in whatever it is that you do

When the finances work for me I will get professional training, I plan on attending Fred Segal's Workshop on Make-Up Artistry

The pictures on my profile aren't the greatest but those are the only ones I had on computer, I contact photographers, and models all the time about doing TFP........I even reach out to other make-up artist who have more years in it than I do to see if they need assistance on any jobs

It's all about networking and acquiring information and that's what I try to do every day...............It'll work out for me............I'll have better pictures soon...........you'll just wait and see :-)    I will be up there with you'll

Feb 23 06 03:18 pm Link