Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Fowlers & Backstabbers

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

After having a conversation with a fellow team worker and letting her vent to me about someone trying to cross her on a job that she was already hired for behind her back and refer someone else ( their friend ) for the job the on the sly. I may have had this happen to me before and just never knew it, but that is how the game goes.... Has anyone ever experienced this and found out about it later, if so how did you handle it?

"Smile you're on Candid Camera!"

Feb 23 06 02:01 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Yeah, I've recently had this happen to me. Regardless if you as a crew member likes my work or not, don't think you have the right to over rule what the person who hired us both has to say. I think if the person who is paying is more than happy with my services, then maybe you need to know your role and shut the hell up. We all have our preferred crew members, but what makes you think you can take the money out of another persons pocket just because you think you know someone who could do it differently or better? Again I understand the idea of helping out the people you seem to work with best, but why must you take the work off of my plate to serve them? There is enough work to go around, so don't take what I've worked hard to get.

T.

Feb 23 06 02:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well now that I think of it, it has once and I did get a little angry, but got over it and realized that I have to be the stronger person....eventually I did say something about it....

Feb 23 06 02:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Feb 23 06 09:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

The industry can be very cut throat at times. To the point where I think that some MUAs get paranoid. I assisted for a lady who wanted me to sit in a corner with my head down, for fear that somebody might offer me a job. You think I am kidding... I am not. This was hard on me because I am a big people person and I always get along with crew people.

I also don't hand out my number or my card when I am assisting on jobs. It just makes life easier. Although there have been times when I have wanted to kick myself for it.

Karma is real and what goes around comes around. If you are honest in your career, you will succeed and although other people might be dishonest and succeed too, you will always have the satisfaction that you took the higher road.

I haven't really had that happen to me a lot, but I have witnessed it firsthand happen to other people. I was working a fashion show (one of those BS charity ones like what deadly design went through) and my friend was making up one of the models, and while she was doing the girls makeup one of the other make-up artists (who was TOTALLY unsanitary by the way) went up and starting handing out her business card and telling her about how she will do her makeup so good and all this stuff. Needless to say my friend and I were pissed off. It was more rude than anything.

Feb 24 06 12:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anatomy FX

Toms River, New Jersey, US

I've had something happen that's not THAT similar, but since we're talking here... I've had a former employee get jobs based on photos of makeups that I, MYSELF created. He was hired for applications. I have no problem with former employees doing such a thing, but its imperative that they state "application only" or some other disclaimer on the work so as not to mislead prospective employers into thinking that they, themselves, are responsible for the creation and sculpture and fabrication of the prosthetic appliances.

Feb 24 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

rachelrose wrote:
The industry can be very cut throat at times. To the point where I think that some MUAs get paranoid. I assisted for a lady who wanted me to sit in a corner with my head down, for fear that somebody might offer me a job. You think I am kidding... I am not. This was hard on me because I am a big people person and I always get along with crew people.

I also don't hand out my number or my card when I am assisting on jobs. It just makes life easier. Although there have been times when I have wanted to kick myself for it.

Karma is real and what goes around comes around. If you are honest in your career, you will succeed and although other people might be dishonest and succeed too, you will always have the satisfaction that you took the higher road.

I haven't really had that happen to me a lot, but I have witnessed it firsthand happen to other people. I was working a fashion show (one of those BS charity ones like what deadly design went through) and my friend was making up one of the models, and while she was doing the girls makeup one of the other make-up artists (who was TOTALLY unsanitary by the way) went up and starting handing out her business card and telling her about how she will do her makeup so good and all this stuff. Needless to say my friend and I were pissed off. It was more rude than anything.

Oh, I can't stand the business card thing. Its so...unprofessional, for lack of a better word. I only ever hand out a business card if someone asks for a way to contact me or what my number is.

I actually have a funnier happy eneding version of the whole "job stealing" thing:

I'm working on a fashion show with this really great artist. We got to talking about recent work and she said she'd worked on a music video. I get a sneaky feeling, coz I'm sort of quick with these things, and ask for which band. She tells me and I start to laugh.

Turns out that I had tried out for the same job, the producer/director had sort of dragged me along and kept me out of the loop and then finally let me know they'd gone with "someone else", and that someone else was her!

I wasn't bitter about it at all (why would I be) and asked her how it went and we kept chatting and have now managed to secure myself a great future contact and possibly a film to work on.

Cha-ching.

Feb 24 06 01:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

chupacabra wrote:
I've had something happen that's not THAT similar, but since we're talking here... I've had a former employee get jobs based on photos of makeups that I, MYSELF created. He was hired for applications. I have no problem with former employees doing such a thing, but its imperative that they state "application only" or some other disclaimer on the work so as not to mislead prospective employers into thinking that they, themselves, are responsible for the creation and sculpture and fabrication of the prosthetic appliances.

well that really sucks...some just have enough balls to even try...

Feb 24 06 06:39 am Link