This thread was locked on 2016-08-29 03:15:38
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How Many Zeros in a Billion?

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

How many zeros in a billion?

This is too true to be funny. The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the politicians' spending YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of it's releases.

A.
A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B.
A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D.
A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E.
A billion dollars ago was only     8 hours and 20 minutes,
at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain...
let's take a look at New Orleans ...
It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division.

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D) is presently asking Congress  for

250  BILLION DOLLARS
to rebuild New Orleans .  Interesting number...  what does it mean?

A.
Well... if you are one of the 484,674 residents of  New Orleans (every man, woman, and child) you  each get $516,528.

B.
Or... if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans , your home gets  $1,329,787.

C.
Or... if you are a family of four...   your family gets  $2,066,012.

Washington, D.C.      <  HELLO!  >     Are all your calculators broken??

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL License Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax < BR>
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Tax
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service charge taxes
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax (Truckers)
Sales Taxes
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge  Tax
Utility Tax
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago... and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.

We had absolutely no national debt...

We had the largest middle class in the world...

and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened?

Can you spell 'politicians!'

And I still have to press '1' for English.

What the heck happened?????

Jul 15 08 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

Why do these chain letters always come from the right?

Jul 15 08 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Dave Mullins wrote:
Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D) is presently asking Congress  for

250  BILLION DOLLARS
to rebuild New Orleans .

How much are taxpayers going to pay to rebuild the flooded Midwest?

Jul 15 08 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

digital Artform wrote:

How much are taxpayers going to pay to rebuild the flooded Midwest?

You let us know when that figure comes out.

The midwest has flooded before.

Jul 15 08 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Mississippi’s plan to divert $600 million in hurricane housing relief to a port expansion project won federal approval Friday, despite vigorous opposition from those who said the needs of thousands of people displaced by Hurricane Katrina had not been met.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jan/26 … /na-port26

Jul 15 08 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

SKPhoto wrote:

You let us know when that figure comes out.

The midwest has flooded before.

U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin says federal aid for flood-ravaged portions of the Midwest could be between $3 billion and $4 billion -- and that's just an early estimate.

Harkin, an Iowa Democrat, travels Thursday to Iowa with President Bush aboard Air Force One to help show the nation's chief executive damage firsthand and make the case for federal assistance.

http://www.iowaindependent.com/showDiar … aryId=2504

Jul 15 08 09:59 pm Link

Model

J Moon

Lake Forest, California, US

Dave Mullins wrote:
And I still have to press '1' for English.

How is this totally relevant to the subject at hand?

Jul 15 08 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Jane Moon wrote:

How is this totally relevant to the subject at hand?

The purpose of the whole email is to push buttons.

Jul 15 08 10:01 pm Link

Model

J Moon

Lake Forest, California, US

OP, if you're all for the principle of learning the "language of the nation" go right ahead.
Native Americans are waiting wink

Jul 15 08 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

What is the population of the United States to the nearest billion?

http://www.census.gov/popclock/

What is the world population to the nearest billion?

What is the population of China to the nearest billion?

What is the population of India to the nearest billion?

Aug 28 16 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aug 28 16 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aug 28 16 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

FFantastique wrote:

[more later]

quit bumping old threads!!!!

Aug 28 16 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aug 28 16 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Fucking hell.. I got suckered.

Mea Culpa.

Aug 28 16 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

A pattern is emerging. A weird annoying pattern.

Aug 28 16 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aug 28 16 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aug 28 16 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FFantastique wrote:

http://www.census.gov/popclock/

What is the world population to the nearest billion?

What is the population of China to the nearest billion?

What is the population of India to the nearest billion?

Asked and answered ages ago in another thread.

What's your fascination with these particular facts?

Aug 28 16 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

The context of the conversation is relevant otherwise I would have started my own. I'm attempting to avoid thread proliferation. As a researcher we're taught to build on the work of others rather than redo research that has already been done.
And yes, I use MM as a cauldron rich for research! WOW.
My apologies if this somehow offends your sense of protocol but my research indicates that it's within the proper balance of the norms and mores on MM. I recognize that not all concur with my logic and rationale.

OK, before I get back to the topic--I took about 10 minutes to write a report to mods about a potentially nefarious account and thought that took precedence over updating my original post but I didn't want to have to run the search again so I posed the original question and I have since updated with a link with a population clock and additional questions.

There were several other posts that had "billion" when I did the search and this seemed very appropriate to concatenate my question to because the OP has given us some perspective on what a billion is in terms of time and money and how it relates to the population of NOLA, [I apologize that I don't have my telepathy turned on so that you can instantly understand the method to the madness. However, the computers of the future MAY be able to allow us to attach not just PDF, JPG, RAW, DOC, PPT, VCF, WAV, TIFF, HTML, but THOT. Never heard of it--I'm just envisioning the future. With Moore's Law computing power will allow computers to have the power of the human brain in a few years and the entire human race in a few decades--or so I've read. The computing capacity in the iPhones kids have exceeds what got Apollo to the moon and back. OK enough excuses.]

Now I'm juxtaposing the global and US populations and taking a big-picture look and trying to get others to do a macro view.

So let me respectfully ask us to set aside points of order and address the actual question on the table:
WHAT IS THE POPULATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA TO THE NEAREST BILLION?

Please read the questions carefully and use math and not emotion to answer the question(s). 

Thank you very much for your kind consideration.

BTW, I'm an American. This is not intended to be interpreted as an adverse assessment of any kind. Merely a dispassionate self assessment and potentially introspective look. Any one from any country in the world is welcome to weigh in. Be objective. Do this by the numbers! Thanx!

Aug 28 16 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Peter Claver wrote:
Asked and answered ages ago in another thread.

What's your fascination with these particular facts?

Where? I just searched through about 66 threads that have "billion" in the title and was not able to find the "another thread" referenced. Would you be able to assist in this research endeavor? BTW,  if I missed something obvious and doing a needless reminder, my apologies.

Awareness/education.

Aug 28 16 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FFantastique wrote:

Where? I just searched through about 66 threads that have "billion" in the title and was not able to find the "another thread" referenced. Would you be able to assist in this research endeavor? BTW,  if I missed something obvious and doing a needless reminder, my apologies.

Awareness/education.

Very close to the same (weird and random) questions

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19631655

FFantastique wrote:
What is the population of China?
What is the population of USA?
Did I hear on the radio that the population of USA is 1/20th of China?
Is that factually correct or not?

Somewhat separately, to the nearest billion what is the population of the USA? [Please read carefully and answer correctly]

Me wrote:
China: 1.357 billion
USA: 319 million
Ratio: 1:4.25 

So not even close to 1/20th.  If it was 1/20th then china would either have a population of 6.3 billion or the USA would have a population of 67 million.

As to the last question... rounding to the nearest billion the population of the USA is 0.

Aug 28 16 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Dave Mullins wrote:
How many zeros in a billion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billion

1^9 or
1^12.
[I wanted to put an exclamation at the end of that number to indicate that a term as common as billion doesn't have a consistent definition! BUT I didn't want to turn it into a factorial, which is a totally different order of magnitude.]

Dave, OP, I've been immersed in school for a while and haven't had time to be current on all these threads and not that I'm taking a bit of time to pursue my fascination with figures I noticed that your original question apparently hasn't actually been answered. I don't know if you're really asking the question or if it's just a rhetorical device to catch the reader's attention.

Taking you at face value and assuming that you seek an answer my answer is 9 or 12 depending on who you ask.
Americans--the former,
Brits--the latter.

I'm with the former group. I believe that what the Brits consider a billion is actually a trillion.

Aug 28 16 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Apparently, a lot of people can't do basic math. tongue  It's BOGUS.

Aug 28 16 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J Moon wrote:
OP, if you're all for the principle of learning the "language of the nation" go right ahead.
Native Americans are waiting wink

Really? Please education as to when the "Native Americans" ever had a declared, sovereign nation?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Thanks for playing though!

Aug 28 16 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Peter Claver wrote:

Very close to the same (weird and random) questions

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19631655

Not to be Reaganesque, but I had totally forgotten that--thank you for reminding me. I did the fire and forget thing and never went back to look for the answer--which is CORRECT!

THANK YOU.  It is actually amazing and just a wee bit frustrating (as a teacher/tutor of stats, etc.) that so MANY people can't do this very simple calculation.

[Many students get all wrapped up in how we're a great nation, etc. etc. etc. and I'm not denying that. I'm just asking people to take a global perspective and look at the players by population. Take a look at the earth from like Mars. Does that in any way alter any of your views of the world? population control? human rights? resource allocation? impact on MM? language, etc. etc. etc. ! :-) I don't do any type of in depth discussion or analysis--just that single realization, I hope, triggers a shift. It's not easy to get out of our own way. I'm not trying to add anything more than that--the US population, to the nearest Billion is 0! OK. Not a value judgment. Just another number. What meaning you wish to ascribe to it--up to you. There is a lot of national pride, and that's good to cheer for the home team and to have espirit de corp, but try to understand why the other team might be just as enthusiastic about their team. While MM is US based--it services the world. Not everyone is English speaking. Just using a different lens.]

So to address motivation: I'm fascinated by figures. Why else are we on here? LOL.

THANK YOU for getting this correct. I hate to belabor the point and berate people for not figuring it out. ;-)

As far as I'm concerned CASE CLOSED!

[I don't feel a need to address the topics in the paragraph above. But you wanted to know, and it's a legitimate question, so I answered it.  You may know that I did start my very own thread about when MM might get to 1,000,000 active users. Because I don't think anyone else had done that. And I'm not wagering anything on it--but I'm just trying to use my statistical abilities to divine an intercept between the ascending line of users and the horizontal line at the 1,000,000 level and draw a vertical line to see where that lands on the timeline. Again, just playing with numbers. Hope you don't mind!]

Edit add: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Wierd  Weird in what way? What is disturbing about this line of inquiry?

Aug 28 16 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

My answer?  A lot of zero's

I.B.T.L.

Aug 28 16 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Vindictive Images

Houston, Texas, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Really? Please education as to when the "Native Americans" ever had a declared, sovereign nation?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

According to Worcester v. Georgia when the United States confirmed recognition of tribes as sovereign nations, these Native American nations were sovereign enough to enter into treaties with the British long before the formation of the United States.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federa … /case.html

Consider yourself educated.

Aug 28 16 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

Yeah, I didn't think so.

You realize you just called out a post that's eight years old and the individual that posted it isn't even here anymore right?

Aug 28 16 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JQuest wrote:

You realize you just called out a post that's eight years old and the individual that posted it isn't even here anymore right?

Nope, didn't realize it when I wrote it. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm right though.

Aug 28 16 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Vindictive Images

Houston, Texas, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Nope, didn't realize it when I wrote it. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm right though.

*snort*

Aug 29 16 12:52 am Link