Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > are you kidding me????

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Bryce Preston wrote:

The shoot is taking place for a very HIGH publicity advertising and marketing campaign in cooperation with Artway Media of Minneapolis. The pictures that are used from this shoot will eventually be appearing in ads in movie theatres, commercials, flyers, banners, mailers, multiple websites, and online banner ads.

this is followed by sorry, no compensation.....

WHAT!!!???????   you have money for all this advertising and can't afford a makeup artist????  Get real.  No good artist is going to do a shoot like this free, you will get some really bad wannabe, can't wait to see the outcome of that shoot.. LOL!

Feb 25 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

KT Imaging

New York, New York, US

We photographers get the same treatment all the the time.  But mostly from startups that budget for everything but the photographer.

Feb 25 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

kT Imaging wrote:
We photographers get the same treatment all the the time.  But mostly from startups that budget for everything but the photographer.

Or magazines who don't know that their tears are not accepted by most landlords as legal tender.

I checked... even supermarkets or cornerdelis don't accept tears... big_smile

Feb 25 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Nerie

UdoR wrote:

Or magazines who don't know that their tears are not accepted by most landlords as legal tender.

That made me laugh ;o)

Right you are sir. Heh.

Feb 25 06 04:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I learned the hard way that if someone can afford so much advertising they can afford to pay you. 

I applied to assist the head makeup artist in a huge fashion show last October.  At that time I was only in the industry about 1 month.  I was excited to work my first fashion show.   They said the show was going to feature alot of big name urban designers and that it was going to be broadcasted on VH1.  I checked out their website and it looked less than super cheap.   I had a feeling that they lied about how big the show was going to be.  But then I started to hear advertising for it all over the radio, and being a newbie I assumed that meant that it was legit.  They told me that I would get alot of "exposure" and be working closely with a world-reknowned makeup artist.

The show was held in a small banquet hall in a hotel.  There were 30+models, and one makeup artist and me assisting.  The day of the show all of the models from big agencies were so upset that some of them cried and they all left.  The show was a disaster.

I agreed to work for "exposure" because so many big names were involved and because  the so called proceeds were going to The American Red Cross for hurricane katrina relief.

I later found out that it was a huge scam.  I later on found out that the organizer had shelled out thousands to buy the clothes for the show and he did it just so he could promote his own fashion line.

Point being that I learned that unless a huge industry head asks you personally, even as a newbie you should never work for free for so called "exposure".

Melissa

Feb 25 06 05:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I learned the hard way that if someone can afford so much advertising they can afford to pay you. 

I applied to assist the head makeup artist in a huge fashion show last October.  At that time I was only in the industry about 1 month.  I was excited to work my first fashion show.   They said the show was going to feature alot of big name urban designers and that it was going to be broadcasted on VH1.  I checked out their website and it looked less than super cheap.   I had a feeling that they lied about how big the show was going to be.  But then I started to hear advertising for it all over the radio, and being a newbie I assumed that meant that it was legit.  They told me that I would get alot of "exposure" and be working closely with a world-reknowned makeup artist.

The show was held in a small banquet hall in a hotel.  There were 30+models, and one makeup artist and me assisting.  The day of the show all of the models from big agencies were so upset that some of them cried and they all left.  The show was a disaster.

I agreed to work for "exposure" because so many big names were involved and because  the so called proceeds were going to The American Red Cross for hurricane katrina relief.

I later found out that it was a huge scam.  I later on found out that the organizer had shelled out thousands to buy the clothes for the show and he did it just so he could promote his own fashion line.

Point being that I learned that unless a huge industry head asks you personally, even as a newbie you should never work for free for so called "exposure".

Melissa

very good post.....
and who wants exposure anyway?  expose me to more of your cheap friends so they can get me to work free too?  I don't think so.  Successful people with "friends in high places"  pay well...they don't ask professionals for freebies....oh and so lets say I'm a new artist and I get my makeup on a billboard...OOOOK..... So big shot art director looks up at budget billboard and says "wow, find out who did the makeup on the shot, we need her on the Guess campaign"  Yea, that happens often.https://bestsmileys.com/fainting/1.gif

Feb 25 06 05:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Exactly!
I had someone that was doing a big bridal show or showcase in Manhattan and they needed an artist to do the models for the fashion show. So she contacted me.   The promoter was like, "Well, we don't have a budget for the makeup but you will get great exposure".
What??
And then I questioned her on who would be in attendance, for my own amusement.
"Oh, it will be possible future brides" and blah, blah.
What a joke.  You have all this cash to promote the show but you have no money for the makeup artist?

Feb 25 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

inexpensive photographer wanted

Date: 2006-02-25,  7:42PM EST

we (a small, new news magazine for coeds) are looking for an inexpensive (yet good) photographer to shoot a fashion spread. (think of it as more of a lifestyle shoot.)

it'll be shot on location. but, as we sort this out, we'll need someone with a studio (or access to one) just in case.

you should shoot digitally and be able turn around the finished (retouched) product in at least seven (7) days.

as we don't have a big budget, this gig is ideal for a fledgling or amatuer -- but professional -- photographer.

when replying, you must include your hourly rate and whether or not you have a studio and all of the accoutrements of a professional photographer (strobes, umbrellas, etc...) plus, attach the link to your online book.

ps: if your fee is in the hundreds of dollars, this gig is NOT for you.

thanks

Oh...wait...let me jump at the chance....

Feb 25 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

James Jackson wrote:

Oh...wait...let me jump at the chance....

WOW.  they want someone with all the accoutrements of a professional photographer, who is a fledgling or an amateur, who charges less than $100 for a fashion spread.

IDIOTS!  every day I am absolutely astounded by the idiocy of the species!

Feb 25 06 11:01 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I saw the post Mary is talking about, and I must say that I thought it was pretty absurd myself!

Feb 25 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

WOW.  they want someone with all the accoutrements of a professional photographer, who is a fledgling or an amateur, who charges less than $100 for a fashion spread.

IDIOTS!  every day I am absolutely astounded by the idiocy of the species!

What really annoys me is they'll get a photographer for less than $100.00 for this. That's one of the problems with some photographers; they don't have a sense of their own worth and will basically work for free. This only encourages this sort of thing, and then we wonder why we can't get real paying gigs. There's always some dork who will do it for less, and less than what you'd need to actually make a living at it.

Some peoples' kids...

-P-

Feb 25 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

damn and i was going to get a loaf of bread this weekend....

Feb 25 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Yeah, after spending thousands, if not tens of thousdands of dollars for school and equipment, these idiots think it's OK to offer photographers below minimum wage to shoot something that's going to be used in a publication. Photographers really have to take responsibility as well, and understand what rates they should be charging and also understand how licensing works, etc. They shouldn't just jump at every chance to "get exposure" but not get paid for their time, equipment and knowledge. As Udo stated in another thread, "Tearsheets don't pay the bills." I wonder if you could go into a hair salon and demand a free haircut by virtue of everyone will see you wearing it - thus, free exposure for the salon. But it amazes me how many photographers allow themselves to be sucked into this. It results in people not valuing our work, which then leads to reduced earnings in the industry. Do some research, join a professional organization, and don't give away your work!

Hmph! Rant over.
  People tend to annoy me sometimes.

-P-

Feb 25 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Do'h! Udo's post *was* in this thread, and I ended up paraphrasing it.

Can't think. Ranting.

Over and out.

Feb 25 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

James Jackson wrote:
inexpensive photographer wanted

Date: 2006-02-25,  7:42PM EST

we (a small, new news magazine for coeds) are looking for an inexpensive (yet good) photographer to shoot a fashion spread. (think of it as more of a lifestyle shoot.)

it'll be shot on location. but, as we sort this out, we'll need someone with a studio (or access to one) just in case.

you should shoot digitally and be able turn around the finished (retouched) product in at least seven (7) days.

as we don't have a big budget, this gig is ideal for a fledgling or amatuer -- but professional -- photographer.

when replying, you must include your hourly rate and whether or not you have a studio and all of the accoutrements of a professional photographer (strobes, umbrellas, etc...) plus, attach the link to your online book.

ps: if your fee is in the hundreds of dollars, this gig is NOT for you.

shocking

Feb 25 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

The goal of capitalism is to pay as little as possible for as much stuff as you can get, and to be paid as much as possible for as little work as you can do.  That's for what this dude is asking.

That said, I hope no one responds, and he realized that he has to pay for good work.

Feb 26 06 12:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

yah been there done that only I didnt know about all of the "advertizing" and once i saw all of the stuff with my "work" on it I freeked out. i couldnt belive i was take for such a wild ride. seems I have takes a couple of these ride. No more smile

Feb 26 06 12:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cristen Troop

Howell, New Jersey, US

It amazes me how so many "expect something for nothing". Like we are pee ons and have nothing better to do . I personally would rather sit home on my rear than get that kind of "exposure" ( a word too widely used to reel people in) Snakes! People dont how valuable our time and services are and expect us to just jump for nothing! GRRRRRRR How wrong they are, and they will learn. And if someone does bite, they will get what they pay (or lack there of lol) for. They will learn their lesson the hard way. We are valuable!

Feb 26 06 04:24 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Exposure... yeah please.  I get asked at least once a month if I will bring my couture fashions and put them in a fashion show.  No, nope, nada, and I think not.  It cost too much money and time to create one garment.  I don't care about exposure to people who are not going to buy the clothing.  They want to see a little "Ooo-Ahh" for free and I'm not giving it.  Bottom line, no one in the audience is a buyer.

They don't offer to pay for my time, a rental fee for the clothing, my travel or anything. They just want pay in exposure.  I can't eat exposure nor will it feed my kids right now.

Feb 26 06 04:56 pm Link