Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Alternatives to backcombing

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I love the way backcombing makes my fine hair look fuller, but it rips the hell out of said fine hair.

Any safe(r) alternatives? My least tease caused a lot of breakage.

Feb 25 06 07:29 pm Link

Model

Megan Spring

Los Alamitos, California, US

Good question.

And what thickening/volumizing products are good?

Feb 25 06 07:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well you could get some hair peices that you can just clip into your hair. Or a great wig smile if you have thin hair theres not a whole lot you can do short of a hair transplant. you can try volumiser products but they may or may not work with your hair structure.

Feb 25 06 11:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

this sounds a little silly, but try backcombing with a toothbrush instead of a regular brush and also try big sexy hair's backcomb in a bottle or sebastian's shaper hairspray.

what kind of condition is your hair in prior to this?
is it dyed? damaged? etc...

Feb 26 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Nerie

I also recommend the backcomb in a bottle. I had Robert Smith hair BEFORE I started teasing my hair!

Feb 26 06 03:59 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My hair is in pretty good condition. I haven't blown dry in nearly a year and don't use any kind of heat styling in my everyday life.

It's very fine though, so I have to baby it.

This backcomb in a bottle sounds interesting.

Feb 26 06 09:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

its a hard situation to advise without actually being able to feel your hair.

but as a model, i would take extra special care of it because it will definately endure many trials and tribulations.

Feb 26 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Turn your head upside down and spritz with hairspray, blowdry while running your hands through it, and before you turn your hair over, give it another spritz of hairspray and let it dry naturally.

then blowdry the dop layer while you hold it vertically and again, spritz with hairspray. this should give you a great deal of volume.

just buy stock in aquanet first.

Feb 27 06 12:43 pm Link