Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

I figured I'd ask you stylists and MUA's since you guys know what your talking about when it comes to hair/make-up... plus I think you guys rock a lot (note: i'm not saying that to suck up before someone calls me out on it)

Anywho, I'm in quite the hair rut... I'm in need of a new cut/style, but I have no idea where to start... I don't even know what my face shape is, but I do have a few shots up in my port that may help others figure that out if need-be...

So do any of you have suggestions for a new haircut/style for me?  I'd really appreciate any input you have for me regarding my hair... Thanks guys and gals!!

Feb 28 06 09:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

JamieGainer

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I, for one, am a big fan of long hair. I do, however, realize that not all of us can grow long lusterous hair, i.e.= me, that's why I use extensions, constantly, they let us short haired ladies have some fun too. I've been having the same dilemma you are, even as a stylist. For the past few months and decided to go for a mid-neck, 45 degree stacked bob - translation a cute, short cut that is low maintinance for my hair type and always has volume, which is a plus for me because I have the thinnest hair ever, it's SUPER important to determine what is the best cut for your lifestyle and your personality.

Back to you smile I see that you have generally medium length, semi-wavy hair. It's hard to give you the best consultation because I'm not actually touching your hair to determine it's thickness, volume, condition, etc. But I think the best idea is to utilize your best features and compliment your skin tone. To me, your eyes seem like the best candidate for emphasis on your face and your skin looks fair, by the way red was a great choice on your part for your skin tone if it's not your natural color.
I would love to see you put a little more excitment into your hair style, I'd love to see some chunky gold highlights to brighten your eyes and give some depth to your hair and I'd also love to see you go with a little more "choppy" cut that tapers in toward your jaw line and comes to a point near your chin, since your bone structure looks prominent there. Another important aspect of this particular cut would be to angle the hair in the back so that your top layer of hair almost cascades onto the middle layers and then those cascade onto the bottom part near your neck, as to creat height right at the top of the backside of your head.....sound confusing yet??? lol.

I wish I had an image in mind that I could refer you to but I don't, I'm actually going to look for one though because I see this in my head but realize it's hard for you to imagine it.

I'd love to hear what any and all other stylists have to say also smile

Jamie Michelle

Feb 28 06 09:50 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

JamieGainer wrote:
I, for one, am a big fan of long hair. I do, however, realize that not all of us can grow long lusterous hair, i.e.= me, that's why I use extensions, constantly, they let us short haired ladies have some fun too. I've been having the same dilemma you are, even as a stylist. For the past few months and decided to go for a mid-neck, 45 degree stacked bob - translation a cute, short cut that is low maintinance for my hair type and always has volume, which is a plus for me because I have the thinnest hair ever, it's SUPER important to determine what is the best cut for your lifestyle and your personality.

Back to you smile I see that you have generally medium length, semi-wavy hair. It's hard to give you the best consultation because I'm not actually touching your hair to determine it's thickness, volume, condition, etc. But I think the best idea is to utilize your best features and compliment your skin tone. To me, your eyes seem like the best candidate for emphasis on your face and your skin looks fair, by the way red was a great choice on your part for your skin tone if it's not your natural color.
I would love to see you put a little more excitment into your hair style, I'd love to see some chunky gold highlights to brighten your eyes and give some depth to your hair and I'd also love to see you go with a little more "choppy" cut that tapers in toward your jaw line and comes to a point near your chin, since your bone structure looks prominent there. Another important aspect of this particular cut would be to angle the hair in the back so that your top layer of hair almost cascades onto the middle layers and then those cascade onto the bottom part near your neck, as to creat height right at the top of the backside of your head.....sound confusing yet??? lol.

I wish I had an image in mind that I could refer you to but I don't, I'm actually going to look for one though because I see this in my head but realize it's hard for you to imagine it.

I'd love to hear what any and all other stylists have to say also smile

Jamie Michelle

I think i get the general idea of what your saying for the cut... my hair is really thick, which is why i have layers in it now and i basically always have, otherwise my head is just heavy...

by the way, I did choose the red and I'm glad you like it :-)... everyone seems to judging by the increase in shoots since I went red... i'll definitely consider the gold highlights once i have some money, seeing as being a college student doesn't really pay all that well ;-)

Mar 01 06 12:46 am Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

any other input?

Mar 01 06 01:43 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

One last bump...

Mar 01 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

last one i swear... i really would like some input cuz i'm not all that skilled when it comes to my hair...

Mar 02 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I'm not a stylist, but here is some general info for you:

To determine your face shape, I read a long time ago to look in the mirror, with your hair pulled back, and trace your face, of course using something you can clean off the mirror, LOL. (I think I used eyeliner or something.) Then step back and see what your face shape is.

Sorting Shapes
Figure out your face shape by pulling hair back into a tight, structure-revealing ponytail. Look at the outline of your face -- the size and shape of your forehead as it compares to your cheeks and chin determines its shape.

If your face shape is: Round -- full with round chin and hairline Dos: Add volume to the top of head to slim. Don'ts: Stay away from a spiky and short topside. Avoid width or volume on sides.

If your face shape is: Square -- with strong jawline and hairline Dos: Take the edge off with a softening style featuring a side part and length at nape of neck. Don'ts: Don't center-part hair or cut square, straight bangs. Avoid geometric lines.

If your face shape is: Oval -- jawline narrower than temples, rounded hairline Dos: Add volume to the top of head to slim. Don'ts: Stay away from a spiky and short topside. Avoid width or volume on sides.

If your face shape is: Long -- narrow jawline and hairline Dos: Layer it on for fullness on sides. Don'ts: Skip short cuts, jaw-length bobs, or styles that add height on top.

If your face shape is: Heart -- wide temples and hairline, narrowing at chin Dos: Try bangs and a length that frames the jawline. Don'ts: Don't go too short at the nape of the neck.

For more information on Mark Garrison and his New York City salon, go to Markgarrisonsalon.com.

Mar 05 06 12:29 pm Link