Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Myspace: no copyrighted images?

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

So, out of peerpressure I joined Myspace (finally).  But, as I heard several people do, I was planning to just use it as a networking tool for my modeling.  I then noticed that myspace does not allow any copyrighted images... which means theoretically I can't upload any of my professional photos, and, it also said that for security reasons they don't allow images that include identifiable information such as name/phone number on the image...meaning no photos that shows the copyright logo of the photographer. 

So, if some of you use myspace as a networking tool, (as I heard from several MM members that they've gotten jobs through myspace)... how do you go about it?

Mar 04 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Post whatever you want, as long as you've got proper permissions from the photographer...

They just put that there to cover their butts...

Paul

Mar 04 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Please quote the portion of the TOS that says "No copyrighted images"...

The instant a photographer...pro/amateur/grandma...takes a picture it is copyrighted.

What they mean is "No posting images you haven't been granted copyright license to post"

Mar 04 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

I have a listing there. Its like MM you find all types of people and GWC's.

Mar 04 06 04:23 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

James Jackson wrote:
"No posting images you haven't been granted copyright license to post"

Oooh I see.  So it's not like they're gonna hunt you down for captioning "copyright: xxxxxx"?

Mar 04 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Sascha wrote:
Oooh I see.  So it's not like they're gonna hunt you down for captioning "copyright: xxxxxx"?

Correct.

The clause is there so that if someone approaches them and says "Hey, that's my photo, and they don't have a copyright release to post it" they can take it down or suspend your account without any legal wrangling or law suit from you saying you lost $XXX by being kicked off their site.

Mar 04 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Sascha wrote:
So, out of peerpressure I joined Myspace (finally).  But, as I heard several people do, I was planning to just use it as a networking tool for my modeling.  I then noticed that myspace does not allow any copyrighted images... which means theoretically I can't upload any of my professional photos, and, it also said that for security reasons they don't allow images that include identifiable information such as name/phone number on the image...meaning no photos that shows the copyright logo of the photographer. 

So, if some of you use myspace as a networking tool, (as I heard from several MM members that they've gotten jobs through myspace)... how do you go about it?

I have several up that I took my self with my copyright on the photo.  There are also several girls using pics I took with my copyright on them.  As someone else said it is only without permission.

Mar 04 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I always thought that "no copyrighted pictures" thing was there just to (kind of) stop people from uploading pictures of their favorite celebrities, other people's artwork and stuff like that...

I think if you have permission, it isn't a problem.

Mar 04 06 04:56 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

I do it anyways or i put up pictures and captions

Mar 04 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

so basically what I've put up here on MM, should be appropriate for Myspace profile also?

Mar 04 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

_Kimberly wrote:
I always thought that "no copyrighted pictures" thing was there just to (kind of) stop people from uploading pictures of their favorite celebrities, other people's artwork and stuff like that...

And anyone who's been on MySpace for more than 5 minutes knows how well that works. smile

Mar 04 06 05:54 pm Link