Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Portfolio photos

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Glossy or matte? What is standard right now?

Mar 06 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

i think it's glossy but i like matte.

Mar 06 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

James Berglie

Nottingham, Maryland, US

I go for matte all the way!

Mar 06 06 09:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I use matte.  I get enough 'gloss' from the pages in my book.

Mar 06 06 09:18 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I was told by a photographer that you should use matte images in a dark book with inserts, it helps keep the photos looking newer and crisper for a longer time and matte images allegedly don't soak up as much light which helps prevent color distortion. Better safe than sorry.
~Tiffany B.~

Mar 19 06 10:58 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Duh you meant make-up...glossy is always in and keeps the models looking young and fresh.

Mar 19 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Almost unanimously matte among the good photographers and models I know. The plastic pages give the pics plenty of shine, and you can pick various sorts of page finish if you're wanting less or more. My very best stuff I print on Epson Radiant White Watercolor Matte, it's expensive (like $3/page) but quite worth it.

*Good* portfolio pages are outrageously expensive, but they're worth it. The ones I use - and they're not all that high end, I readily admit - are like $40 for a packet of 20 11x14 pages. That's not the portfolio, that's just the pages.

M

Mar 20 06 11:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I would say a matte faces with glossy lips smile but if we are talking about paper I would say glossy smile

Mar 20 06 08:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

I use premium gloss and they really are vivid, but put in the plastic pages, they lose their punch. I'm wondering if the matte would do better? When I take them out of the page from behind the plastic everyone says, "WOW! That's gorgeous!" so what am I missing?

Maybe a new thread about the book?

Mar 21 06 08:28 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Many of my prints are on the kodak E surface which is an inbetween surface.
I usually go for the inbetween on paper surface.
often called pearl surface for B&W.

Mar 21 06 09:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Los Angeles, California, US

Gloss was really popular...oh... in the late 70's early 80's- bound to make a comeback ... oh around... 2020- so for now- go for matte (or just be "outdated" or perhaps "ahead of your time") The best thing would be to have a holographic portfolio- just full on kick ass.

Mar 22 06 04:10 am Link