Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Roman Dresses, Large Gowns, Parcel Umbrellas...etc

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Where on earth do people have to go to find clothes that were worn a long time ago? ???? I need these things because Id like to do more photos that capture past cultures.

Mar 10 06 04:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

try theatre houses, like a local production house or an opera house, they will often rent thses items as they can be VERY costly to reproduce and they can make a little money. A couple of Halloweens ago a group of my friends and my self all when as dead members of the Titanic and we rented the most beautiful dresses for less than $50 for like 3 days. We did have to put a $100 damage deposit down but we got it back when we returned them. You can also try getting some made by local costume makers depending on what you want you might be able to get them to recreate what you have invisioned.
You should be able to get some on line I am sure there are fancey old time costumes shops some where.  try talking to those people who do the old time photo parlars like in malls or attactions. I have seen them in West Edmonton Mall in Alberta and in Jasper Alberta.  Maybe they have a connection to where you can get them made or purchase. you should be able to get those fancey paresalls and lace gloves at ligeria stores or they might have a catologue for you to order from. Good luck...Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 10 06 04:49 pm Link

Model

MarleneM aka Mimi

Jamaica, New York, US

Check out local vintage stores. Tampa has a great one, La France, with an enormous inventory categorized by era. Look them up as they might be able to direct you.

Mar 11 06 08:11 am Link

Hair Stylist

Luis Rafael

New York, New York, US

iF IT IS FOR FASHION i WOULD RECOMEND USING NEW STUFF (GOENS, HATS UMBRELLAS) THAT ARE CURRENT AND MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE OLD. WITH STYLING AND GOOD PHOTOGRAPHY YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE A PROBLEM.  tHIS IS TO ME WHAT MAKES A GOOD STYLIST.  I JUST WORKED ON A 1920'S SHOOT.  EVERYTHING WAS NEW CLOTHING AND THE STYLIST MADE IT LOOK LIKE IT WAS STRAIGHT FROM THE 20'S.  IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME SAMPLES OF THAT LET ME KNOW...

Mar 13 06 12:52 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Try a Costume shop. If there isn't one near you then here's a place online that might help: http://www.costumeuniverse.com/browse.a … 0000,36000

Also if you know of a seamstress in your area you may want to inquire about her rates to create something for you from a pattern (available in most fabric stores).

Good luck!

~Tiffany B.~

Mar 19 06 03:34 pm Link

Model

Nico Coer

Utica, Pennsylvania, US

For Historical stuff, reenactors are a good place to start. Working with Medieval and Ren styles, try finding your closest branch of the SCA and ask them if they have a good seamstress in their midst. If you are on the eastern half of the country, the Civil war enactors have some nice things as do some of the colonial enactors for their different time periods.

Or try just finding a seamstress if all else fails and present them with patterns, sketches, or, if available, photos of what you want.

I"ve made several Ren dresses myself. Two italian Ren and one English Ren. Lately I've been working on Russ Viking gear. IN the next month, I'm making my own mini collection for an art show, Recreating a '40's pin-up dress for a prom goer, and MIGHT be doing some restoration style clothing for myself.

~N~

Mar 22 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

You basically have 4 options, depending on what you :

1) Have something made by a seamstress or purchase from companies like museum replicas (but they only do pieces up to the renaissance, even though they are historically accurate).  This will be the most expensive option, but you'll get quality pieces tailored to your measurements that you'll be able to keep.

2) Rent from a reputable costume house that has replicas.  In this case you'll have a quality, and possibly historically accurate product, but you won't be able to keep it.

3) Purchase from Party City or some place similar.  It'll be the cheapest option, but you'll get a cheap costume that might not survive the shoot.

4) Attempt to find similar store bought items and alter them yourself.  This will yield mixed results at best.

Mar 22 06 09:06 pm Link