Forums > Critique > What's WRONG with my work?

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 
So was my problem the focus itself or the wrong f/stop? Should I have shot it at f/4 to blur the background even though the sharpest aperture of the lens was f/8?

What exactly did Jerry Rice teach you?

Are you trying to capture every flaw in the model's skin in perfect focus? It's not an MTF chart you're shooting.

f/4 (f/1.8 really) and get closer to the model. You can buy a 50mm lens that goes to f.1.8 for nothing, so no crying about lenses please.

Where can I get a 50mm lens that is that fast for practically nothing?

Jul 04 05 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

It doesn't seem that you've learned yet how to pose or get natural expressions from the models. Some say hire a pro, and yes that might help your images look a bit better but I don't think it will help  teach you how to work with the neighborhood girls.

I believe before you start shooting models outdoors wearing very little clothing as you are now that you let them wear their own normal casual clothing for the shoots. I think that they will be much more relaxed and it will show in the images, heck, they will probably even smile.

Your models do not look comfortable at all and somewhat nervous or scared (I would be also if I were standing in the woods in my underwear,lol). Let them be themselves in their own clothing for now, when they do feel more comfortable wearing less clothing they'll start doing it themselves, you won't even have to ask.

You can't make a model look relaxed and comfortable if she's not.

Jul 04 05 07:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Posted by Mary: 
in my opinion flags make a very tired fashion statement, old tired and used....the 70's are over

I want to take a shower with Mary.

by the looks of your avatar I assume you pee in the shower, so no.

Jul 04 05 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

richardandre

Rochester, Illinois, US

The tat has to go...

A friggen weed in the crack of her butt????  Not sexy at all..

Flat lighting, composition is very poor... 

Look through the portfolios on MM and see what moves you, then ask yourself why.  Look at the lighting and composition.

Sometimes blurring out the background does more for an image.. Nothing against nature, but you are not taking nature shots you are taking modeling shots...

Jul 04 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 
So was my problem the focus itself or the wrong f/stop? Should I have shot it at f/4 to blur the background even though the sharpest aperture of the lens was f/8?

Are you trying to capture every flaw in the model's skin in perfect focus? It's not an MTF chart you're shooting.

f/4 (f/1.8 really) and get closer to the model. You can buy a 50mm lens that goes to f.1.8 for nothing, so no crying about lenses please.

Canon or Nikon?

Jul 04 05 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists:

Canon or Nikon?

Cool let's have a Canon/Nikon debate,  I love a mass debate.
It could be worse,  it could be this thread so far.

Jul 04 05 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Mazik

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, US

In a portrait photography class, many moons ago, the instructor made the comment "make the pose, then light the nose".  Good Advice.  Myself, I like to concentrate on the eyes.  Even a small change in facial expression can have a dramatic effect on the feel of the photo.  Go for it!

Jul 04 05 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by marksora: 

Posted by XtremeArtists:

Canon or Nikon?

no, no, no. Both the same to me. Just want to know what mount he needs.

Jul 04 05 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by marksora: 

Posted by XtremeArtists:

Canon or Nikon?

Maybe we should just say the magic words.
no, no, no. Both the same to me. Just want to know what mount he needs.

Jul 04 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
"The New York Institute of Photography"

Either you did not attend or deserve a refund.

My final grade was an "A"  My instructor was Jerry Rice.

The football player?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Robert

Jul 05 05 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

Canon or Nikon?

Either one

Jul 05 05 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by richardandre: 
The tat has to go...

A friggen weed in the crack of her butt????  Not sexy at all..

Flat lighting, composition is very poor... 

Look through the portfolios on MM and see what moves you, then ask yourself why.  Look at the lighting and composition.

Sometimes blurring out the background does more for an image.. Nothing against nature, but you are not taking nature shots you are taking modeling shots...

1st off: Tattoos are body art & I love macro-photography. Plus most photographers don't bother shooting around them or photo-shopping them out anymore. There are pics with tattoos in them all over this site.  2nd: If you don't know the difference between butt cleavage & breast cleavage, or a flower when you see it, you've got some serious problems.

Jul 05 05 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

I guess everybody on this site is allowed a personal style but me. I happen to like macro-photography & combining the beauty of nature & the female body. If you don't like it, you can all take turns kissing my ass.

Jul 05 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Guess you took your ball and went home Freelancer. You'll be missed.

So did you ever find out what was wrong with your work?

Jul 05 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Freelancer: 
I guess everybody on this site is allowed a personal style but me. I happen to like macro-photography & combining the beauty of nature & the female body. If you don't like it, you can all take turns kissing my ass.

And this is WHY I never ask anyone to critique my work.....

Oh wait, I ask it all the time.

I can simply handle criticism!

:-P

Jul 05 05 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

In college, I took a lot of writing workshop classes, and the rule was that the writer of any piece being critiqued could not speak.  This is a perfect example of why that rule was in place.

Jul 05 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

How disappointing that someone would ask for advice and get pissy about the resaults. He spent to much time making excusses when he should have been learning. Thin skin will get him no where.

And the flower in question a dandelion is a flower but it is also a weed.

Jul 05 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

I have a great cheap source for lenses/cameras for practically nothing, just mug a tourist.  But make sure you pick one with the same lens mount as you.

You'll have to show them a big knife to prove that you are serious, but you can get a whopping bayonet of ebay for about $20, I just brought 17" blade lee enfield bayonet, and boy does that get them them emptying their pockets super fast.

Jul 05 05 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

I got some very good constructive criticism. I also got some comments that were just mean. What you all seem to have taken as me being "pissy" was just me explaining what I did and why I did it. No different than when you enter a photo contest & they want all technical data involved. I guess if I had taken the time to explain my physical, budgetary, and model resource limitations in my original post, alot of this could've been avoided. Although I'm sure a few of you (And you know who you are) would still have taken the opportunity to insult, rather than constructively criticize. Which is what I asked for in the 1st place.

Jul 05 05 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 
I got some very good constructive criticism. I also got some comments that were just mean. What you all seem to have taken as me being "pissy" was just me explaining what I did and why I did it. No different than when you enter a photo contest & they want all technical data involved. I guess if I had taken the time to explain my physical, budgetary, and model resource limitations in my original post, alot of this could've been avoided. Although I'm sure a few of you (And you know who you are) would still have taken the opportunity to insult, rather than constructively criticize. Which is what I asked for in the 1st place.

The point you missed is that you made excuses for everything. They were not reasons. Everyone has limitations, some of us don't whine about them when we ask for a critique.

Jul 05 05 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

while others will blast you for your excuses, I took a look at your revamped port. I see some progress; not sure if these are new pictures or not... perhaps you saw what we said and found some pics that fit the criteria. 1. Ruth Clothed  Pros: nice contrast of color  her reddish hair against the slate blue grey makes it pleasing to look at. You used 3/4's rule, bravo  Cons: pose is too tight, if you were looking for fetal just do fetal... this looks as if she wants to crawl into the rock, her face is a bit worred looking.... it's not your fault her face looks like that, but perhaps there is a better face in the set. I would open up the pose, bring her arms out to touch the rock at different angles perhaps have her turned towards you... hair wet (to get rid of that dry damaged look and to blend in the aweful bangs more) chin down to lessen the feebleness of her chin and to widen her eyes.
2: Old Ghost : this picture is pretty amazing because you are focusing on story. I enjoy the antiquing that you did, but I would loose the tired border. I would also crop out much of the left side up till the ghostly image crop nearly up to the head stones, and straighten the horizon. I would also try to get a bit more contrast  to bring out the ghost more.
I'll let others critique the other two.

Well done, huge improvement. Nice to see that you didn't just want to defend your mistakes.

Jul 05 05 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by CharliesImages: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

As for using the American flag in pics. I wish people would quit treating the American flag like it's some sort of God! When it comes down to it, It's just a piece of cloth people! Respect is one thing. But what most people call "respect" in regards to the American flag is what I call worship.

What else would you call it when you can put an American flag anywhere you want in public, but you can't do the same with the 10 Commandments or a Nativity scene at Christmas?

Perhaps we should get some of our current and former troops to respond to your ignorant comment.

Jul 06 05 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I nominate this thread for the phantom zone.

Jul 06 05 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by ravens laughter: 
while others will blast you for your excuses, I took a look at your revamped port. I see some progress; not sure if these are new pictures or not... perhaps you saw what we said and found some pics that fit the criteria. 1. Ruth Clothed  Pros: nice contrast of color  her reddish hair against the slate blue grey makes it pleasing to look at. You used 3/4's rule, bravo  Cons: pose is too tight, if you were looking for fetal just do fetal... this looks as if she wants to crawl into the rock, her face is a bit worred looking.... it's not your fault her face looks like that, but perhaps there is a better face in the set. I would open up the pose, bring her arms out to touch the rock at different angles perhaps have her turned towards you... hair wet (to get rid of that dry damaged look and to blend in the aweful bangs more) chin down to lessen the feebleness of her chin and to widen her eyes.
2: Old Ghost : this picture is pretty amazing because you are focusing on story. I enjoy the antiquing that you did, but I would loose the tired border. I would also crop out much of the left side up till the ghostly image crop nearly up to the head stones, and straighten the horizon. I would also try to get a bit more contrast  to bring out the ghost more.
I'll let others critique the other two.

Well done, huge improvement. Nice to see that you didn't just want to defend your mistakes.

Thanks for your constructive criticism. These are pics I already had that were more inline with the advice I got. At the risk of sounding "pissy" again as someone referred to me before. The only reason I didn't crop the "Old Ghost" pic tighter was to make it look like I was unaware of the ghosts' presence until I saw the photograph. And unfortunately, the border was part of the "Old" effect. I don't care much for it either.
  Thanks again for your advice.

Jul 06 05 02:54 pm Link