Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > drag makeup........

Makeup Artist

BeautifulBrush

I'm interested in learning more about the application of drag queen makeup.  Does anyone have any tips to really hiding that very fine 5 'clock shadow or just the over all application of the makeup?

Mar 16 06 10:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Talk to some drag Queens they have all of the triks, and they know everthing about drag make-up. :)Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artisrty

Mar 16 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

All I know is that i wish that I could look as good as some of the drag queens I see!  Their makeup is usually flawless!

Mar 16 06 01:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Thats beasue they have layers and layers and layers of make-up plastered to thier face, but those gals shure know how to rock the high light and conture...Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artisrty

Mar 16 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

OH LORD...I had a drag queen doing makeup for me when I first started!!!!!!!! BIG NO NO....All the models in return looked like a drag queen..LOL Sometimes they go WAYYYYY over board on the highlights under the eyes...Its always funny when black queen comes out with my color under her eyes!I am as pale as the day is long... I used to go the bar all the time where they do performances all night long...soo much fun!!

Mar 16 06 01:38 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Drag queen make-up works well for live performance.  It's not usually meant to be seen close up or on camera.

Mar 16 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

T Edward Glazar

Sunnyside, Georgia, US

Stage makeup works well.  There is also a brand of foundation and cover-up made for people with disfigurations, can't think of the name though.  I also use a combination of yellow cover stick and a orangey colored highlight powder.

A really close shave or a wax is abolutely neccessary also.

Mar 16 06 01:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

your thinking of cover fx, or Ben nye's concealer cream palette.

Mar 16 06 02:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i heave heard that mac full coverage works well.

Mar 16 06 02:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

For a 5 oclock shadow you need something peachy- ONLY on the beard part.
If you use regular color on the beard it will look greenish.

PeeWee Herman use to use red lip pencil over the beard and then pat the foundation on top of it. DONT layer heavy makeup over it- you will only create more texture. Just use the color corection and it will be fine.

MAC full coverage is great foudation for this. It wont travel and is water resistant.

Mar 16 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Cassone

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Get Kevyn Aucoin's "Making Faces" book - it's all in there - every queen I know (myself icluded, honey) regards it as the must have textbook and for the African-American queens get Sam Fine's beauty book.

Best wishes
Cassone
MM# 99401 (Photog)
MM# 59127 (Model)

Mar 16 06 11:13 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Rae Deslich

Chicago, Illinois, US

Pay attention to the eyebrows. Seriously, nothing gives a guy away more than thick scruffy brows. Stick 'em down flat with eyebrow wax first, then foundation over the wax. You'll have to put more feminine eyebrows back on, of course; either draw them on, or for a more realistic look (mainly important for any non-stage makeup), use eyebrow hairpieces or do the eyebrows by hand with crepe hair and spirit gum.

Mar 16 06 11:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Hey There, I do male to female transformations and have done so for over 5 years now. There are different looks for the drag queen, cross dresser, transgender, or transvestite.

First for the beard cover you need as Roshar said a peachy color concealor... tattoo cover has enough pigment and covers thick which creates a smooth texture. Choice of makeup fav (with the t-gurls and with me because it works better than any other I've used) is Joe Blasco -- coverage is really good, you can get any foundation color and photographs beautifully. It can be applied thin or thick and powder sets it.

If you are waxing over the eyebrows you can use.... believe it or not.... glue stick --  or if you want to do it the "professional way" Kryolan makes a wax but you need sealer for it too.

Do your corrective makeup as you would anyone after neutralizing the beard (peachy color) and red shaving bumps (greenish beige).  Men have the most beautiful lips and eyes, do them as you would any gorgeous woman -- of course with eyelashes! For drag it's really exaggerated (that's why you would mainly do drag for stage or a huge statement).

Any questions, feel free to ask. If you are doing a photoshoot, use the pre-glued press on nails from Walgreen's for flat fingernails. they look great and come off easily. Always have makeup remover cloths MAC or Oil of Olay work well and plenty of q-tips.

Another trick? Surgical tape. Instant face lift smile wish I could wear it all the time!!! LOL! In my self-portrait in my portfolio I'm wearing the tape. Feel free to write me for more info if you are interested.

Mar 16 06 11:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Some dragnights don't want to leave the real boy with waxed brows. Use a sealer over the brows and cover with foundation, then draw them on. Same for 5 oclock shadow- if its for a shoot- no worries, just use concealer in a slightly darker shade before foundation--- But for an all night drag, go ahead and use an fx sealer- same as the brow- it holds up all night and she's still got it when you take her home!!!! Hehe..

Mar 17 06 07:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautifulBrush

I appreciate everyones advice.  I will use it all to the best of my ability.

Mar 21 06 12:04 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

T Edward Glazar wrote:
Stage makeup works well.  There is also a brand of foundation and cover-up made for people with disfigurations, can't think of the name though.  I also use a combination of yellow cover stick and a orangey colored highlight powder.

A really close shave or a wax is abolutely neccessary also.

I think that you might mean Derma Blend? Do they still make it?

Mar 21 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
your thinking of cover fx, or Ben nye's concealer cream palette.

Oh yeah.  Ben Nye's.  smile  No no, I don't drag... lol  Just get on stage a lot.

Hi Mandy!  smile

Mar 21 06 12:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

lll wrote:

Oh yeah.  Ben Nye's.  smile  No no, I don't drag... lol  Just get on stage a lot.

Hi Mandy!  smile

Joe Blasco also makes a coverup that is called Dermaceal. It has like 85% pigment in the cream base and covers REALLY well.

Mar 21 06 12:57 am Link