Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > can we veto something?

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Somebody earlier posted something about compcard critiques, and as the mod suggested to the other person, I posted a similar question in the critique forum. My only problem is that, most of the stylists don't read the critique forum and our posts get lost in all the photography and girls in bikinis.

is there any way that we can veto that rule, and stylists can post critiques on this board since this is where the stylists are?

I mean its not really a casting call situation or a photographer wanting make-up critiques.

Because seriously our posts just get lost in pages and pages of topics within an hour in all the other forums.

Mar 16 06 08:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I compleatly agree, this section is for us and we should be able to ask our peers about anything related to styling or make-up or hair weather its a critique or a question.

Mar 16 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Los Gatos, California, US

You Go Girls!

Mar 16 06 10:13 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Meh, makes sense, I agree.

Mar 16 06 10:17 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Not sure but I can start a thread in the mod section on it if there is enough interest.

Mhana moderator.

More voices.   But no guarentees,   And what would and would you not allow.

Would you allow photographer to ask for critiques on their shots relative to makeup or styling?

Or model?

Tell us what you want and we will discuss it.

For I am not sure if models and photographers should post critiques and how are we to decide if they are "stylist forum" worthy?

Mar 16 06 10:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

well i would say just a little more leniance in the forum. i don't think that the posting would get out of hand. but the critique section is just overwhelmed with models and photographers.

I am not sure how to implement guidelines, I guess if it is posted by a stylist it should be ok. Because we aren't going to critique other stylists' work if they (the stylist) arent the ones who post it.

Mar 16 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

To be honest, I don't see why the Stylist Chat forum should be any different from Photography Talk or Model Matters.

And I think to allow stylist critiques would imply that we're also allowing stylist castings and stylist market ads.

We have separated those from the general forums because they are not general discussion topics that pertain to a wide range of members.

Mar 17 06 01:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

brian,

i totally understand what you are saying. but my problem is that it is damn near impossible to get a critique from anybody in the critiques forum, because our stuff just gets drowned in all the other topics. if i would have posted the critique in the stylists forum i would have had 5 responses within a couple hours... at least... from other stylists. to be honest the photographers and models dont entirely need to post in the photography talk or model matters forums, because they DO get critiques and responses from their peers in the critique forums. for us, nobody seems to give a hoot. perhaps i will just make any topics i post in there "my first playboy style shoot" or "i just got some new pics 18+" and then i would get a response.

Mar 17 06 10:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea L. Dow

Costa Mesa, California, US

I think we should be able to ask each other for critiques because it is true that we get lost in the Critiques forum...either ignored by everyone altogether or told over and over again that "as a photographer/model they are unable to critique the makeup"  or some variation on that.

I personally used to go in there looking for makeup artists who wanted critiques but I rarely found makeup artist posts, probably for the same reason I stopped trying to post in there.  And I dont feel right critiquing models or photographers unless they ask for makeup specific critiques.

Perhaps the way around this is to post there and then post here directing other makeup artists to the critique forum.  Seems like a long way around beating the system but hey, if it works maybe we should try it, just one long post that gets added to whenever anyone posts in the other forum for a critique.  Would that kind of post get locked?

Mar 17 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Its damn near impossible for anyone to get a critique in the critique forum. Why should stylist be any different? IMO.

Mar 17 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

I agree with the OP stylists really get the shaft when it comes to the forums... Model and photographers get the good end of the deal.. models more than photographers....So why not give the stylists a forum where they can get critiqued... I mean when it comes to making imagery they are a HUGE part of the factor.

Mar 17 06 10:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Andrea Peroni wrote:
I think we should be able to ask each other for critiques because it is true that we get lost in the Critiques forum...either ignored by everyone altogether or told over and over again that "as a photographer/model they are unable to critique the makeup"  or some variation on that.

I personally used to go in there looking for makeup artists who wanted critiques but I rarely found makeup artist posts, probably for the same reason I stopped trying to post in there.  And I dont feel right critiquing models or photographers unless they ask for makeup specific critiques.

Perhaps the way around this is to post there and then post here directing other makeup artists to the critique forum.  Seems like a long way around beating the system but hey, if it works maybe we should try it, just one long post that gets added to whenever anyone posts in the other forum for a critique.  Would that kind of post get locked?

i that is a good idea

Mar 17 06 11:22 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

I agree with Brian's logic and the fact that you have to keep in mind the ramifications of the decisions that are made.

Just put your ideas here and we will discuss it.   The one thread might be a temporary solution.
The real solution for this just as it is for the casting call problem is a separation of the critiques and the castings not to combine them now or to cross post.

Your ideas are welcome,  for now though please continue as we have been. 

The critiques are often 3 pages long for one day and that makes it hard for anyone to get a critique.

Also there is often a problem with section only critiques for them often become love fests with no real critiques given.

The one thread to just list a critique and a link to it might be a temporary solution and keep down on the mess.   For this solution could be used in the other sections as well.

Mhana moderator.

Mar 17 06 12:37 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Part of the solution that is being discussed involves something that can be done now.

Put the word Stylist in or at the beginning of the title that goes into the critique section.
That way a simple search with the word stylist will bring up those threads.

If you want to go a step further then post stylist C or C stylist which will allow the threads to be separated from the casting calls and other threads.

You could make it MUA C or makeup C but if you want to make them searchable as a group then keeping to one standard form will make it easier to search for.

The choice of how you want to make your own post searchable is up to you.

Keep in mind this also work very well for searching for threads in casting calls for those that pertain to you.

===

The search option is at the bottom of the page of the main forum area.

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/search.gif

It is not perfect but using the standard form and learning it can help you help yourself until or even when site upgrades are made.

Thankyou.
Mhana mod.

We are discussing the other options for a solution to the critique problem.

Mar 17 06 03:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

AGREED. The posting I made was so other STYLIST could critique my work. It means way more to me than a photographer or model trying to tell me what I need to get rid of fix or add.

Charissa

Mar 18 06 10:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

rachelrose wrote:
Somebody earlier posted something about compcard critiques, and as the mod suggested to the other person, I posted a similar question in the critique forum. My only problem is that, most of the stylists don't read the critique forum and our posts get lost in all the photography and girls in bikinis.

is there any way that we can veto that rule, and stylists can post critiques on this board since this is where the stylists are?

I mean its not really a casting call situation or a photographer wanting make-up critiques.

Because seriously our posts just get lost in pages and pages of topics within an hour in all the other forums.

Thanks Rachel, you totally understand what I was getting at.
I wanted critique from the make-up artists.

Mar 18 06 10:18 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Okay,   we can give something a trial run for now.

It will be the one thread here to just post links to the critiques in the critique section.
No actual posting of photos in the one long(hopefully) thread.   No critiques in the thread in this section.

Just a thread to point people to the critiques that involve the stylists.   We do not want nor can we block others from giving comments.  Even if postedhere that would not stop photographers or models giving their comments.

I will set up a thread as soon as I can with some guidelines.

As I stated earlier in this thread.   Something that is searchable also would be good for if someone starts to spam the long thread or use it incorrectly,   our only option will be to delete it.

So the list at times may be lost,  hopefully not but do not count on it only.
A few letters or a common word such as S-C/S for stylist critique stylist or S-C/M for stylist critique makeup artist,  or stylist-c in the title will help to make them searchable.

So input on what should be recommend for letters used or word would be appreciated.
But if people do not want to do that then it will be their choice.

This idea is just to help you keep track of your threads not to have a bunch of new rules.
But good suggestions that use the capibilities of the site would help.

Tell us what you think.

Mhana mod.

Mar 19 06 11:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

MHana wrote:
Okay,   we can give something a trial run for now.

It will be the one thread here to just post links to the critiques in the critique section.
No actual posting of photos in the one long(hopefully) thread.   No critiques in the thread in this section.

Just a thread to point people to the critiques that involve the stylists.   We do not want nor can we block others from giving comments.  Even if postedhere that would not stop photographers or models giving their comments.

I will set up a thread as soon as I can with some guidelines.

As I stated earlier in this thread.   Something that is searchable also would be good for if someone starts to spam the long thread or use it incorrectly,   our only option will be to delete it.

So the list at times may be lost,  hopefully not but do not count on it only.
A few letters or a common word such as S-C/S for stylist critique stylist or S-C/M for stylist critique makeup artist,  or stylist-c in the title will help to make them searchable.

So input on what should be recommend for letters used or word would be appreciated.
But if people do not want to do that then it will be their choice.

This idea is just to help you keep track of your threads not to have a bunch of new rules.
But good suggestions that use the capibilities of the site would help.

Tell us what you think.

Mhana mod.

That sounds fantastic Mhana, thanks I can't wait!!!

Charissa

Mar 19 06 11:55 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

This is the new thread.

Discuss here if there are problems with it.
It is not for critiques just to list links to critiques.

Links to critique section for Stylists. Read first
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=36611

Mar 20 06 03:11 pm Link