Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Heated eyelash curlers?

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Los Angeles, California, US

I just got one and it doesn't feel like it's heating up. It seems to be curling, but I don't know if it's because I am pressing it into the lashes and the mascara is holding the bend- or because it's actually working. Anyone up for a tutorial?
(PS- so over the standard curler- hate the crimp and it takes too much time to achieve the proper look. I tried the percision curler [japonesque] but lashes like to go thier own way and I end up adding false singles anyway).

Mar 17 06 04:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

*bump*

Mar 17 06 07:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

personally a heated eyelash curler freeks me out, heat by the eye hmmm sounds scary to me.
I have used them on myslef but there is no way I would use them on another person. I didnt notice a huge differnce, I use a tweeserman eye lash curler and its amazing no crimping and it have disposable pads so you can keep it very hygenic and it was only like $20 bucks, I also have a wet 'n' wild one at belive me it was worth the $3.99 I paied I was stuck and thats all they had and i am so impressed.
Mandy of Deadly Desigen Make-up Artistry.

Mar 17 06 07:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

I used to use heated ones until my sister said to try Shiseido. I will never use another curler again!

I know this sounds wierd but, sometimes, for the hairs that don't pick up, I use liquid eyeliner on those individual lashes.

Mar 17 06 09:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I use the cylinder style heated curler you can get at Sephora.  It dosent get hot enough to burn you so it's pretty safe.  You have to use them with the lashes are wet with mascara, not after they dry.  They work on some people but not on everyone, maybe 75% of the people I do it works on.  Also, use waterproof mascara, it wont work well with regular mascara. Make sure you replace your battery often, they run out of juice pretty quickly and then they won't heat well.

Mar 17 06 10:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

or you could just hold a blow dryer on a metal eyelash curler for a couple seconds to warm it up. in my experience, a spoon curls lashes pretty well too.

Mar 18 06 02:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I use a heated eyelash curler and I think it works great.  Alot of my asian clients like it alot.  I've used the Shiseido eyelash curler and I do think its better than others, but 9 out of 10 times I use my heated one. There's something about those things that look like midevil torture tools. haha.

Mar 18 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

i am not sure exactly which heated eye lash curler the last makeup artist used for me, but it was great! i loved it! smile  i was skeptical at first, but VOILA, i had eye lashes!

and this is off topic, but i love reading these threads for the stylists forum, you guys/gals are a garden of knowledge! KUDOS to you all! smile

Mar 18 06 04:43 pm Link