Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

So I have a latex allergy, which isn't too troublesome except that when I do a shoot I want to wear false lashes. EVERY SINGLE FREAKING LASH ADHESIVE I'VE FOUND except for Vincent Longo has natural rubber latex in it, which make my eyes swell and well...that's just counterproductive to the desired effect. =/

As far as I've found VL doesn't sell the lash adhesive alone, you have to buy the lashes. That's all well and good, but at 15 bucks a pop for a tube the size of half of my pinky finger, it's rather annoying.

Is there anyone out there who sells non latex lash adhesive? Or does anyone know where I can get the VL tube on its own without the lashes?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 18 06 03:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

hmmm interesting i have yet to come across a model with such a reaction but now i will obsess over finding a latex free eye lash adhisive.
and I use a super small amount of glue like the size of a pea maximum for both lashes. you should be able to get more than one use out of each tube of lash glue. have you checked out thier website ?? I am sure that it is avalible.
well good luck..Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry.

Mar 18 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

Yeah, I'm not one of those people who goes into anaphalytic shock when latex touches me but it's damned unpleasant that's for sure.

Unfortunately VL's website doesn't premier until this summer, and I've scoured Sephora and can't find any listing for simply the lash adhesive itself.

I've looked online.
I've looked in various drug and beauty stores.
I've asked at makeup counters.
Nothing.

As prevalant as latex allergies really are (annnnd as potentially deadly) one would think there would be more choices...but so far, that's the only one I've found.

I'm just hoping to find someone who sells a tube of it. A regular sized tube of it. So I'll have it on hand...and it'll last waaaaaaaaay longer than the one they send with the lashes.

Thank you for your response though!!

Mar 18 06 09:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i think some of the self adhesive ones are latex free. unfortunately most lash glues are latex based... that fishy smell... yeah thats the latex.

Mar 18 06 09:24 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

Yup.
The VL is actually silicone and turns blue when it hits the air and then dries clear. LOVE it.
Just wish I could find it around here, or something comparable, so I don't have to order online. hmm

Mar 18 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Pardon me for intruding on this non photographer thread but I wanted to mention to the stylists who read this that there is a birth defect, which I was born with, called Spina Bifida. Google it if you want info on it. SB often comes along with a latex allergy for some reason. There are varying degrees of SB, some of which are not so obvious. Especially in the last 20 years or so because the defect can be fixed by surgery before the child is even born.

Ask if a model has a latex allergy from now on if you can remember. He/She may not feel comfortable mentioning being born with SB, or simply not think enough of it to bring it up, or like me, not even know SB can bring a latex allergy along with it. I did not realize this until about 6 or so years ago and I am 34 now.Once I found out, I could look back and think" ahha,that explains this, and that,,,,and oh yea, that too".

Mar 18 06 09:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well I always ask if people have allergies. i have ran into one model who is allergic to latex but we didnt need faux lashes as she had these crazy thick long lashes. I just whent through my list of weird stuff and who was allergic too it. I totally forgot as this was like 5 years ago. Ahh sometimmers.
I wonder if you could use wite school glue?/ hehehe kidding
maybe spirit gum but I would be worried about it being so close to the eyes it would work but I would hate it if you went blind.
I bet there is a 1-800 # on the package of the lashes you have now call it and see if they can send you some glue or where to buy it.

Mar 18 06 10:39 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

That's probably the most obvious thing I never would have thought of. *smacks self*

Mar 18 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Hailey

Round Rock, Texas, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
I wonder if you could use wite school glue?/ hehehe kidding"

I am pretty allergic too. Just the other day I was preping for a shoot and put some glu on my hand to apply lashes to a model (forgetting it was not my own glue) and my hand has a blister and hurts like the devil even now. But back on topic - I personally have used elmers glue and it works pretty well and doesn't burn. Make sure it is the kind that drys clear (kinda blue in color) It is a last minute fix when I have needed it. OTHEREWISE I personally use Andrea Mod Perma-Lash Adhesive - love me some latex free...

Mar 18 06 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

https://www.condomdepot.com/content/product/large/avanti.jpg

Try those if you have problems with latex.

... Wait. What is this thread about?

Mar 18 06 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Hailey

Round Rock, Texas, US

Eric - those still have latex.

Best if we just don't use anything ~wink~

Mar 18 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

Hailey wrote:

I am pretty allergic too. Just the other day I was preping for a shoot and put some glu on my hand to apply lashes to a model (forgetting it was not my own glue) and my hand has a blister and hurts like the devil even now. But back on topic - I personally have used elmers glue and it works pretty well and doesn't burn. Make sure it is the kind that drys clear (kinda blue in color) It is a last minute fix when I have needed it. OTHEREWISE I personally use Andrea Mod Perma-Lash Adhesive - love me some latex free...

I'll have to look for that. Thank you!

Mar 18 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Hailey wrote:
Eric - those still have latex.

Best if we just don't use anything ~wink~

... We? ... (raises brow)

wink Well, since you put it that way, I suppose we could get together and -

- Hey, wait a minute! You don't have any self-portraits! I don't trust a photographer with no images of themselves ... You're butt-ugly, aren't you?!

(chuckle)

Mar 19 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Would recommending Crazy Glue be out of place???

Mar 19 06 12:35 am Link