Forums > Critique > New here, I'd love feedback!

Photographer

DarrahM

Clemson, South Carolina, US

Hi everyone... I'm new here and working on my portfolio so I would LOVE any feedback/constructive criticism anyone is willing to give! I'm always looking to branch out/learn something/try something new.

thanks so much!

-Darrah

Jun 29 05 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Filipe Marques

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Hi Darrah,

I had a look at your photos. I only see two things that need some work.

1. Don't use the sheet anymore. Use your surroundings. You'll get a much more natural look and feel to your shots. Wider aperatures will disquise any distracting features in the background. If you can't part with the sheet, iron it. smile

2. Lighting. That is your paintbrush. You don't have to go out and spend a fortune on lights. I know a few photographers who use window light only. Pose them near the window and see what happens. Don't like it, have them turn their head toward or away until you see what you want. Add a reflector (something white, like a sheet. Hey!) to the shadow side to bounce a little light into it. It lowers the contrast and makes it less harsh, or dramatic. Unless your going for drama.

I hope this helps. Remember this. There are people here who take pleasure in hurting feelings. Ignore all of it. There are also people willing to help. If you ever need anymore advise, just ask.

Filipe

Jun 30 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

Posted by Filipe Marques: 
Hi Darrah,

I had a look at your photos. I only see two things that need some work.

1. Don't use the sheet anymore. Use your surroundings. You'll get a much more natural look and feel to your shots. Wider aperatures will disquise any distracting features in the background. If you can't part with the sheet, iron it. smile

2. Lighting. That is your paintbrush. You don't have to go out and spend a fortune on lights. I know a few photographers who use window light only. Pose them near the window and see what happens. Don't like it, have them turn their head toward or away until you see what you want. Add a reflector (something white, like a sheet. Hey!) to the shadow side to bounce a little light into it. It lowers the contrast and makes it less harsh, or dramatic. Unless your going for drama.

I hope this helps. Remember this. There are people here who take pleasure in hurting feelings. Ignore all of it. There are also people willing to help. If you ever need anymore advise, just ask.

Filipe

filipe, this is the most refreshing post i've seen here in a while.  smile

Jun 30 05 10:52 pm Link