Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Photoshop or Makeup?

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/ssg37/NataliePortman08201W.jpg

is it photoshop or makeup that is giving the glow?

and how would someone mimic this effect?

could this effect be done with a bronzing cream?

or is the effect done in photoshop?

photographers and makeup artist input would be great.

Mar 22 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Powell Ful Creations

Buffalo, New York, US

I would say both, but more photoshop!  The overall color of the photo has been changed.  Hey Benny, I'll email you more info on this as soon as I find it.

EDIT:

Benny
Here are a few links to point you in the right direction.
Try to achieve it first with makeup than fine tune it in photoshop.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. … e=15914594

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. … e=14998347

Mar 22 06 10:46 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

thanx Volney smile

Mar 22 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

TCP

Miami, Florida, US

I'd say make-up, lighting, and photoshop all contributed to the final look of this shot.

Mar 22 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Jade Photography

New York, New York, US

I'd say all three as well.  Looks computer-y.

Mar 22 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

soreal exposure

Memphis, Tennessee, US

make-up, lighting, and good photoshop all contributed.

Mar 22 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Could be radiation.  Does she live near a power plant? smile       I'd think some photoshop was certainly involved.

Mar 22 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

it'd be easier to answer if we could see a better version of the image - this one appears to have been degraded significantly.  i've achieved, along with a good mua, similar glowing effects just with lighting.  the hard part is avoiding blown-out hot spots.

Mar 22 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Uni_Photography

Woodland Hills, California, US

If it was mainly photoshop?
What I would have done to get this effect, is cut her out and put a outline glow around her.
Then ad a background layer with a canvas texture and put the shadow behind her to give it depth. Highlight the hot spots and put a blur effect to it and drop the opacity down to 60% percent. Mess with the contrast a lil bit. And voila !

Mar 22 06 11:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

lighting and photoshop

Mar 22 06 11:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i would say its a supernatural phenomenon... (j/k)

and lighting/photoshop

Mar 23 06 12:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cristen Troop

Howell, New Jersey, US

I definately agree on all 3...you could achieve the look with makeup and lighting and a lil photoshop, but that photo looks like ALOT of photoshop work

Mar 23 06 01:54 pm Link

Model

RobbinLara

Warsaw, Illinois, US

actually a simple diffuse glow filter in Photoshop would give the glow effect then looks like the  contrast was jittled with a bit....a more time consuming process would be layering and using the multiply effect for the new layer then the dodge tool to lighten desired areas, altering the opacity & flow.

Mar 23 06 02:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am going to agree with the majority on this one....Lighting technique, photoshop and a little makeup.

Mar 23 06 02:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I would say lighting and photo shop, they eyes give it away smile

Mar 23 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
I would say lighting and photo shop, they eyes give it away smile

But...but, I thought Natalie Portman's eyes always looked like that? All glowy and bright.....it's so...natural!

teehee. Yea, definately mostly lighting and photoshop; probably not much-o with the makeup-o.

Mar 23 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i think there are alot of assumptions going here.  the web version of this photo is of such poor quality, that nobody can say for sure whether or not it was significantly photoshopped.

Mar 23 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
i think there are alot of assumptions going here.  the web version of this photo is of such poor quality, that nobody can say for sure whether or not it was significantly photoshopped.

Well, duh. What else can we offer besides assumptions and opinions? None of us actually know the exact process that went into creating this image. That was the whole reason dude started this thread: to get different opinions based on a picture. Unless the original photographer happens to come across this thread and feels like sharing, they are all going to be assumptions and opinions based on our own perceptions and personal experience with make-up, lighting, photography and Photoshop.

Mar 23 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:

Well, duh. What else can we offer besides assumptions and opinions? None of us actually know the exact process that went into creating this image. That was the whole reason dude started this thread: to get different opinions based on a picture. Unless the original photographer happens to come across this thread and feels like sharing, they are all going to be assumptions and opinions based on our own perceptions and personal experience with make-up, lighting, photography and Photoshop.

what i meant was that the image is severly degraded, so even educated guessing is not possible. a higher-res file sample could be more easily reverse-engineered.

Mar 23 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

the glow around the edges might just mean you dropped her image from another background and did  not smooth the edges, bring up the contrast  and saturate  the blacks just bit.

Mar 24 06 09:08 am Link