Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How to build a MUA Resume??

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Ok so I've got a good amount of pics in my book,  I have done countless TFP and now it's time that I have a resume.  But I don't know how to start one, what should be in it or what it even looks like.

Can anyone please send me a sample of what theirs looks like?  I would be greatful.  I mean, all I've done is TFP and like 1 fashion show so I'm not sure what I should put on there.

You can email them to me at [email protected]
Or you can link me, doesnt matter.  I just need a couple samples so I can have an idea of how to start mine

Thanks again to all!!

Mar 23 06 09:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

You really don't have anything to put on a resume if all you've done is TFP.  But with print, I never get asked for a resume.  Granted all my print work goes through my rep and I think they do ask her what my experience is. But she does not have a copy of my resume.  When I'm on go sees, they just look at my book and talk to me about things I've done. 

If you are wanting to do brodcast/films you do need to build a resume though.  And I'd suggest finding a working artist to assist.  I think a lot of aspiring artists on this site skip over that part.  You need to start out assisting before trying to get your own clients.  Period.

Ashley

Mar 23 06 09:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

I thought so.  See I have an interview for a cosmetic store and they wanted to see a resume.  I showed them my book but they still wanted to see a resume (I told them all I've done is TFP to build my book).  So they asked for a list of people that I've worked with.  So I'll give them that I guess.  I can also put my education and that 1 FIT fashion show that I did...

*sigh*

Thanks!!  smile

Mar 23 06 09:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Oh.  Well, unfortunetly I have no clue as to how to build a resume to get hired in retail.  I hope someone can help you out.

Mar 23 06 10:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

yeah if you havent done a lot of film/tv/commercial work it might be a bit difficult to build your resume. typically at makeup counters they care more about your sales experience than your actual make-up artist resume, especially because most counter girls don't work outside of the counter and dont have a resume.

Mar 23 06 10:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lydia Martin

New York, New York, US

For retail, they are more concerned with your retail skills, do you have good customer service, will you be able to communicate and explain applications, with customers. To find out about your actual skill they do make up interviews. Usually after one or two verbals. On your resume... You basically want to list by date your past work, just like you would if you were changing industries, you'd have to make your past work relative to what you are applying for. You'd have to list your gigs also.. even if it was tfp, that's cool, it shows you want it and have a passion for the art, and you can swing the retail, thing.. Be aware that, when doing makeup in reatail, it is very retail. You just have to be in a location where you can take advantage opportunities. Some locations are hotter than others. Good luck, hope this was helpful.

Mar 23 06 10:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I worked retail cosmetics for a bit but the experience wasn't that great.  It was ALL about selling the product.  I just applied to MAC Pro yesterday and I was wondering if it is better to work retail for MAC or if there really isn't any difference between woking retail for MAC or any brand.

Mar 23 06 10:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lydia Martin

New York, New York, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I worked retail cosmetics for a bit but the experience wasn't that great.  It was ALL about selling the product.  I just applied to MAC Pro yesterday and I was wondering if it is better to work retail for MAC or if there really isn't any difference between woking retail for MAC or any brand.

Working for MAC is still very retail, but it has a lot of perks. Pro classes are held multiple time a month, so yopu can learn, things like, airbrushing, body painting, high def tv make up.... You get lots of free makeup which is always a plus. If you are at the PRO location, you'll get contacted for lots of the projects that are extended to MAC. You'll get free supplies. You'll get discounts off all the other Estee Lauder lines too.

Is MAC very retail like all the other lines?? Yes, yes, yes. Sad but true they are starting to focus more on retail now and less on artistry.. Unless of course you are at a PRO location. It was different in the past ( more artist based) but it's begining to go in another direction.

Mar 23 06 10:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Yeah last time I was a MAC Pro, no one was behind my ass to sell something!!  But when I go into the regular MAC stores, they hound you till you buy something  LOL

Mar 23 06 02:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kate Couture

Los Angeles, California, US

Yisell wrote:
I thought so.  See I have an interview for a cosmetic store and they wanted to see a resume.  I showed them my book but they still wanted to see a resume (I told them all I've done is TFP to build my book).  So they asked for a list of people that I've worked with.  So I'll give them that I guess.  I can also put my education and that 1 FIT fashion show that I did...

*sigh*

Thanks!!  smile

Send me what you have...
I was a manager for MAC for 2 years and have 7 years retail cosmetic experience.  On the side I was freelancing.  Now, that is all that I do.  But, I keep both résumé’s going.  You never know!

Good Luck!
Kate
www.couturefaces.com
[email protected]

Mar 23 06 08:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamy Makeup

Dunedin, Florida, US

There is a template on MS word for stylists that I found which is kinda helpful.

On mine I basically have an objective/profile section, a section for companies I've worked for (which right now is just Sephora and I also listed my freelance name, the date I started freelancing - present, and a quick overview of services I have experence with, ie print, runway, etc.), Credits (I've got runway shows and a few local events on there that I've worked) and an education/training credits section.

I've seen other layouts too, where the artist lists photographer names that they have worked for, has something with bullets that says stuff like *shoots for various photogaphers * personal consultations* etc.

If you are applying somewhere like MAC though, you may want to send them a standard resume (especially if you've got sales and retail expereience) and talk about your makeup work in the cover letter instead.  I would also list your freelance name (if you have one) or put "your first and last name - freelance makeup artist" under the work experience section.

Mar 24 06 01:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

If you're trying to work retail, honestly they don't care about your makeup abilities, they care about how much you sell. you can be a totally average artist, but if you can sell, they will like you. that and working retail tends to lead to working more retail.

I've learned the hard way not to talk about my artist career out of retail at my job, management does NOT care about why you need the day off to go to outer mongolia to test with some amazing model and stylist and photographer, they care about coverage on the floor. ( I work at a very upscale store in cosmetics)

The perks working retail are nice, gratis (free makeup!) discounts and trainings. however, if you're trying to get a support job to make some $$ while you're building your book, you may do better to get something unrelated that pays decently.

before you work for MAC, you may want to look at this:
http://p082.ezboard.com/fmakeupandrelat … 7896.topic

I have had several friends work for them and not have the greatest experience. not to totally shoot retail down, but once you get into it, you can find it hard to get out.

pm me if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Mary

Mar 24 06 11:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

first of all if you can take my advice d0on't go inot reatil...I have been out of beauty school for the last 3 years and all I have done is retail and corperate salon and spas and they don't pay well....if you still want the job and you have microsoft word, type in resume in the help box...or by the happy paper clip and resume wizard will coome up with several different templates.....

Mar 24 06 03:37 pm Link