Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

does anybody else have issues with confilcting schedules?

i took a job at banana republic in november, becuase make-up was slow and i needed the steady income. But now I am having issues, because they depend on me to do so much there and the list of cashiers is so small.

i just hate the my conscience doesnt let me call out sick if i am not sick, so i end up calling them and saying... i have a job that came up and i have to take it. which i haven't done a lot. but they are all about the guilt tripping... well if you knew it was fashion week, why didnt you request it off?

well yeah I knew it was fashion week, but i didn't know i would be working it until 2 days beforehand and now i have had to call out today and friday, both of which i tried extensively to get my shift covered.

i guess i am just venting, does anybody else go through similar things?

Mar 23 06 12:39 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

It is a problem for most people on there way up in so many fields.
I see both sides.
But I think it would be wise to think about taking fashion week off and just taking extra shifts when you know it will be slower in the industry.

If you need to juggle then a little planning goes a long way or the knives, you are juggling will cut off you hand that feeds you.

Mar 23 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

rachelrose wrote:
i guess i am just venting, does anybody else go through similar things?

I'm not a stylist but can I chime in anyway.  I own a lingerie store in a mall.  I don't have a choice when I'm open, the mall tells me my hours and fines me when I'm not open.

I hire cashiers expecting to employ them somewhere between 15-30 hours a week.  I almost always get requests for more hours.  This is the only reason I don't over employ and hire another employee, it would mean that I'm denying someone else hours.  The problem is, when someone can't make a scheduled shift, it creates complications because I didn't over hire and I don't have enough people to draw on to cover the shift.  The people that want more hours are never available to take up the slack of someone else.  If they were, I wouldn't have a problem.  So now I'm back to "do I hire more and make others have less hours when they really want more?"

I don't expect you to step into your employers shoes.  You can do that when you're an employer.  I just want you to know that the situation you presented sucks for you AND your employer.

Mar 23 06 01:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

i totally get that, its just i am usually the one who is coming in on my days off to cover for other people. i am usually the good guy, and i hate that i feel like the bad guy in the situation.

Mar 23 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

rachelrose wrote:
i totally get that, its just i am usually the one who is coming in on my days off to cover for other people. i am usually the good guy, and i hate that i feel like the bad guy in the situation.

Unfortunate, you cover for other people but they aren't there for you.  We have that problem.  We had one person that we employed at a different business so she reduced her hours to just one night.  Even though she didn't work nights at the other business she was NEVER (yes I'm yelling) available to cover any other night shift.  Finally had to tell her that it's not working for me.

I agree with what the other person said, communicate with your employer and let them know what's going on and see if you can work something out.  Just last Friday my wife came in to cover a shift for an employee that couldn't find anyone to trade out with.  Employers don't spend time trying to figure out how to be asses.  The have to be asses because they've got a business to run but not everyone working for them realize that.  Hope that makes sense.

Mar 23 06 01:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I have worked in retail for over 10 years. persoanlly I am getting burnt out  and I cant wait to quit, it will be great once my make-up jobs can cover all of my monthly costs and give me a little fun money.
I understand the whole "covering ever one eleses shifts" I get calls cosntanly from my retail employer to come in and cover shifts, it sucks especially becasue they call me like 45min-1hr before they want me there. and when I say "no"  i'm busy or I have plans, they try to guit me into comming in by saying things like "your always asking for extra shifts, or so and so will cover you next time" the thing is I never call in , I have only 3 times in my 10 years of retail called in sick, because I was ill not hung over.
So I feel your pain retail sucks and its because its not our true calling and all I want to do it make-up, not at a retail environment but rather independanly on jobs that acctually add to my resume and portfolio. Life is tough and then you die. so really retail is kinda like limbo. smile hehehe just tiding you over until you get to your ultimate job. smile

Mar 23 06 10:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

I work two days a week at a trendy cafe- and those two days (of running my but off and kissing ass) cover my bare living essentials. When I'm busy with MakeUp jobs- I can take off very easily- and when it's slow for my MU business I can pick up extra shifts. I think the key is having a flexible side job (and hopefully you won't need one for long- your work is beautiful!)

Mar 23 06 10:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

I feel your pain.

the survival job always sucks.

I've been at mine for 3 years, and am about a year out from being able to leave....I'm counting down the days....but I try to work my schedule as hard as I can and really use my days off to get stuff done. I also have that damn guilt thing about calling in...lol...

good luck to all on here who are working our arses off to get to where we want to be!!!!

Mar 24 06 11:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

..I feel your pain...I am a slave freelancer for too many bullcrap cosmetic companies who don't appriciate me...and how lovely it is to pay my taxes at the end of the year since my freelancing work is contract.
Retail sucks, the end.

Mar 25 06 05:27 pm Link