Forums > Model Colloquy > help finding classes

Model

dsexybabygirl

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Can anyone help me out... trying to find GOOD acting classes in Atlanta. And how much should they cost?  There's so many hustlers and wannabe's in Atlanta it's hard to tell the difference.

Jun 30 05 10:34 pm Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

usually the local colleges have theatre classes.

Honestly, those are pretty good -  usually taught by working actors or at least MFAs

Jul 01 05 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Sorry,  I have no class.

Jul 01 05 07:37 am Link

Model

Silver Oak

Houston, Alaska, US

Posted by dsexybabygirl: 
Can anyone help me out... trying to find GOOD acting classes in Atlanta. And how much should they cost?  There's so many hustlers and wannabe's in Atlanta it's hard to tell the difference.

I googled and found this one near Stone Mountain. I would suggest checking the BBB website and asking around as to what people think too.   http://www.youract.tv/

Good Luck!

Jul 01 05 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

Posted by Silver Oak: 

I googled and found this one near Stone Mountain. I would suggest checking the BBB website and asking around as to what people think too.   http://www.youract.tv/

The only bad thing I see about this place is that they are completely "how to act on camera" focused, meaning TV and film.  That world is sooooooo different.  Much better to learn after you've developed basic technique, usually best learned from someone who's worked on stage, where you have to get it right 100% of the time, 8 times a week, no re-takes.  It'll stretch you more.  Things you'll learn in stage school, like finding your light, how to show relationships through physicality, how to shape your body for a role, are very different than in film, where the going in assumption is that you can only play a narrow range of stuff.

The Meisner technique class they offer would be a good start, I don't know the woman teaching it.

Good places to look for acting classes, Atlanta or elsewhere:  Regional repertory companies - places that do a bunch of shows every season, with a core group of actors and directors.  That's where you'll generally find the most skilled actors and teachers, who are most able to articulate what they do, because they most likely came up through a long academic training environment.  Remember, you want great acting TEACHERS, not necessarily great actors.  Sanford Meisner, Uta Hagen, blah de blah who have techniques named after them, were all only OK actors, even by their own admission.  But great teachers, they could get a great performance out of a stone.

Big universities with professional training programs (BFA or MFA) can also be good sources.  Look at the length and quality of teaching - sometimes an actor teaches just because the food budget is a bit low on the acting side. You want someone who gets off on YOUR performance, not theirs.

Jul 01 05 10:01 am Link