Forums > Photography Talk > Copyrights, due creditI recently did, and mistakes

Photographer

First Shot Studios

Rochester, New York, US

I recently did a free shoot for a friend of mine's father as he needed images published in a national publication.  I performed these services free of charge as a) he is my friends father and a really nice guy, but more related to this discussion, b) I would be credited in a national publication. 

As soon as the issue came out I picked up a copy, sure enough, my work is in there along with the article, except that the credit for photography is given to somene else, who obviously didnt shoot the images. 

Whats everyones thoughts here....  I'm more than a little annoyed....

Patrick

Mar 24 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

To get to the point I think it's B.S.  I'd be annoyed too.

Mar 24 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sadly, that happens and it happens far too frequently. Magazines are notoriously lazy, careless and downright sloppy about photo credits. In past years I've had credits both omitted and given to someone else and sadly there is very little you can do about it. I would not be surprised that if you went through the mag photo by photo, you would find your credit on someone else's photo. Depending on the magazine, you will more than likely not even be able to get a correction in the next edition.

Best advice I can give is for the future. After that happened to me a couple of times I began attaching an invoice with each submission, just as though I were being paid for the shoot. In the invoice I set out an appropriate rate for 'one time use' of the image(s), or whatever uses had been agreed, and a clear statement that "the  above fee is waived upon attachment of proper photographer credit". That way they pay more attention and if they screw up, well you will feel a little better when depositing their check.

Mar 24 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Mark Roberts Photos

Dallas, Texas, US

LoL i was just about to post the same article.....i had/have the same problem. i have a friend thats a local rap artist,  i did a shoot with him b4 and everytime the media (newspaper) does a article... on him...there is my pic....with no photo credit. He says he told them, but they never give credit. i guess one day they will ask.

Mar 24 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

First Shot Studios

Rochester, New York, US

I've had the situation where a shot of mine has been used repeatedly by local media.  That bothers me a great deal less, as any local client I am/ would hope to work with generally knows the image if it was anything noteworthy.  They've seen the image printed locally, and if they see it in your port- bingo and thats great (In my book, if it wasnt worth putting in your port its probably not worth going to great lenghts to try to get credit for). 

The current situation for me is a bit different.  I mostly did it for free because the publication expected my friends father to pay for the cost of professional photograhy, and I did it as a favor to him.  After the fact, however, at the absolute very least I expected proper credit in print. 

Patrick

Mar 24 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Touscany Photography

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Stop giving your work away!  Credit lines are fine but they won't pay your bills.  The next time someone wants to use your photo in exchange for a photo credit line, tell them this. 

"I can't pay my credit card bill with a photo credit line.  I can't make my car payment with a photo credit line.  I can't pay my rent with a photo credit line."

Photo credit lines are pretty much only good for your ego.  I can't remember the last time that I actually got any assignment work from anyone seeing my photo credit line.  I'll take a usage fee, (the bigger the better), any day over the vague promise of a photo credit line or advertising space in their publication.  If their publication has any credibility, they have a budget for images, (photos or illiustration).

Mar 24 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Just out of curiosity, did you grant the magazine a written license to use your copyrighted work?  If so, was there a requirement that you be given credit as a conditiion of the license?

If not, on what basis did the magazine use your copyrighted work?

I am not suggesting you sue them, but have you thought about just calling the magazine and talking to the editor?  If you are polite, the editor might be willing to print a correction in the next issue.  He certainly can't rerun the magazine, but it would be nice to have the mistake corrected.

Editors aren't ogers.  Why presume the worst before you've asked for the correction?

Mar 24 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

First Shot Studios

Rochester, New York, US

Typically I dont give away my work for free.  I'm well aware of the fact that photo credit doesnt pay my bills.  Thankfully, I do also have other revenue streams that flow into my bank account.  But that doesnt change the point.  Any photographers work is work, and we should all be compensated as such. 

In the case of this, it was really done purely as a favor- and while I"m well aware that I should have had the publication sign a usage form and release, in this case, I did not, as I would have been content to help a friends father out and boost my ego a very small bit wink  I'm simply mildly perturbed I didnt get my small ego boost.

I am planning to speak with the editor on monday.

Patrick

Mar 24 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

UCPhotog

Hartford, Connecticut, US

David A wrote:
To get to the point I think it's B.S.  I'd be annoyed too.

Why would you think Bobby Sargeant has anything to do with it?

OK - I'm tired and that's all I could manage. Send a note to the magazine. Let them know of their mistake. Then also try to get a name/email/contact info for the photo editor. You might also be able to get some paid work out of it.

Good luck,

MCS - UCPhotog

Apr 17 06 01:29 am Link