Forums > Model Colloquy > Wardrobe Matters..PLEASE HELP ME!!

Model

Carlie Lawson

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Okay, I'll agree with everyone else who's said it - ebay.com. That place is a treasure trove and if you know how to work the bidding, you can get great stuff for cheap.

My favorite places to buy clothes are vintage stores and sample shops. I'm in a small city in OK, and have a sample shop not two blocks away. You can get great deals on name brand/designer clothes. I've gotten sweaters and pants there for $10 each.

Vintage shops are great, esp. if you'd like to homage a particular era or want something not everyone else will have. I've never paid more than $15 for an entire outfit in a vintage shop.

Estate sales are great, too. (And garage sales in the high income areas of town.) The estate sales I've been to provided a lot of vintage wear, whereas the garage sales were great for off season/last season designer goods.

Theda has a great suggestion with consignment shops.

Don't forget the easiest, and perhaps, oldest method. Trade or borrow clothes with your friends. If you're borrowing it though, be extra careful.

Have fun shopping!

Chrissie

Jul 04 05 01:17 pm Link

Model

Natalie Lynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by MULIKA: 
If there is no stylist on the job and you have no fashion design buddies nor friends in stores all you can do is buy the pieces you need, keep receipt, hope to heavens that you don't damage/spoil/trash item and take back on monday morning wink Obviously as you are shooting and not clubbing there is no excuse for strong perfumes or body creams, which will linger. Also, with shoes, a tip i learnt from a stylist i worked with once is to cover the sole with masking tape all over the base.

Finally, try not to buy items you really really like. I bought the black skirt in my avatar on saturday for a shoot, I was meant to take it back on monday. Needless to say, I refuse to, I love it and its money well spent and a great addition to my wardrobe over-all! lol

Good luck and start networking with teh creatives at shoots. The numbers that really come in handy in my phone book are the Mua, hairstylist and assistants that i meet.

Jul 04 05 01:22 pm Link

Model

Natalie Lynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sad to say but I am a strong advocate of the buy/return thingy.  And oh how I have each and every store's return policy memorized!  lol

Jul 04 05 01:23 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Christine 16: 
Okay, I'll agree with everyone else who's said it - ebay.com. That place is a treasure trove and if you know how to work the bidding, you can get great stuff for cheap.

Yea, you can get anything off the sun @ ebay...but that is the PROBLEM. It can become an addiction. I have spent so much money on ebay, it isn't even funny. For a while, I didn't even have a need to go outside. I would just go on ebay..wait for the package. Even got to get to know my mailman. Who knows their mailman anyway lol. Sad..I know

Jul 05 05 06:26 am Link

Model

MULIKA

London, England, United Kingdom

I hear you Shayuma wink My mailman get xmas goodies we are so acquainted! lol

Jul 05 05 06:34 am Link

Model

Michelle West2

San Diego, California, US

Gosh I wish you were here! Im trying to find this thrift store that sells designer clothes but they are super cheap. This guy I used to work for got a few items there all for under 20 bucks. Maybe you have a buffalo exchange there? Looks like thrift stores are a great place to go.

Jul 05 05 11:05 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Nicole P: 
Gosh I wish you were here! Im trying to find this thrift store that sells designer clothes but they are super cheap. This guy I used to work for got a few items there all for under 20 bucks. Maybe you have a buffalo exchange there? Looks like thrift stores are a great place to go. 

Well when you find it let me know Nicole. Me an you go wayyyy back lol. So you get the stuff for me!

Jul 05 05 11:35 am Link