Forums > Photography Talk > Who has a Vagabond II???????

Photographer

HDphotographer

Murrieta, California, US

will it work w/ strobes other than alien bees

Dec 03 08 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Vincent Gagnaux

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

HDphotographer wrote:
will it work w/ strobes other than alien bees

Yes.  I don't have one myself but have friends who use it with their Hensels.

Dec 03 08 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I have it and it is great for several things:

1.  Holds down the light stand (I tend to use big lights on doors).
2.  Great for running laptops.
3.  Great for carrying it to location where Portable Generator is too heavy.
4.  Works great with my lights if I am not using full power.
5.  Great for emergency lights around the house (i.e. power outage).
6.  Great for powering the portable DVD player (I have two kids) when traveling.

Dislike:

1.  It is slow when cycling the power for lights (especially those 1000 watts/s when push it to max).
2.  Amount of juice degrade as each use.
3.  Can't produce constant voltage for other items (i.e. power tools).
4.  Had to turn mine three times (broke twice and the 3rd time was a recall).
5.  You can't carry it on the airplane (acid battery).

Over all, it is decent.  I would recommend get the portable gas generator (Hint: Honda EU2000i) over two of these Vagabond II if weight and gas smell isn't an issue.

By the way, I carry the Vagabond II with the Generator when I go shooting.

Dec 03 08 05:57 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ALT PROC Media Arts

Peterborough, England, United Kingdom

We're a Paul C Buff house. They are my favorite vendor...incredible customer service

Dec 03 08 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jay in Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Ok, I bumped this because I have a couple of questions...

How long does it last on average?

How many strobes does it power? Do I need one for each?

Dec 30 08 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Denny Lee Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Carlton Chong wrote:
Ahh, but do you have one and use it with Elinchrom 400BX strobes? tongue

I have two 400BX's and a 600RX all going at the same time on one V2!!  a bit slow at full power but they work awesome for just one light..

Dec 30 08 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Jay in Houston wrote:
Ok, I bumped this because I have a couple of questions...

How long does it last on average?

How many strobes does it power? Do I need one for each?

I did a shoot with one AB1600 and two AB800's at pretty much full power on one VB II.  They recyled almost instantly.  (Leave the modelinglamps off)

I shot 95 frames pretty quickly and went home, plugged it back in.  About an hour later the indicator showed it was back at 90% fully charged.

Dec 30 08 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

sonofthesea

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom

Does anyone know if they are available for the UK - our appliance plugs have three prongs and not two like in the States. sad

Dec 31 08 02:12 am Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

sonofthesea wrote:
Does anyone know if they are available for the UK - our appliance plugs have three prongs and not two like in the States. sad

I believe Alien Bee will ship to the UK and all you need to use a VB2 in the UK is a suitable plug adapter (example here - http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/UK-Visitor- … 16228.html).

Be aware however that they do not manufacture 240v output model as far as I am aware. I use one here in the UK but I use 110v (US) lights. If your lighting setup is 220/240v this might be a better solution for you http://www.innovatronix.com/detailpage. … 20Services

Dec 31 08 02:30 am Link

Photographer

sonofthesea

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom

- Phil H - wrote:

I believe Alien Bee will ship to the UK and all you need to use a VB2 in the UK is a suitable plug adapter (example here - http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/UK-Visitor- … 16228.html).

Be aware however that they do not manufacture 240v output model as far as I am aware. I use one here in the UK but I use 110v (US) lights. If your lighting setup is 220/240v this might be a better solution for you http://www.innovatronix.com/detailpage. … 20Services

Thanks Phil that's great, good advice.  I will need to check my flash units.. blow the dust off them... I have been using Vivitar portable units on location and continuous lighting in the studio for ages now.  Time to buck up my ideas for 2009!

Dec 31 08 03:10 am Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

sonofthesea wrote:

Thanks Phil that's great, good advice.  I will need to check my flash units.. blow the dust off them... I have been using Vivitar portable units on location and continuous lighting in the studio for ages now.  Time to buck up my ideas for 2009!

No probs, glad to be of help smile

Dec 31 08 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Love mine and I'm using it with a Norman 800m power pac and 500 series strobes..

Dec 31 08 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Springbok Designs

Santa Cruz, California, US

I have 2, love them! I have had 2 AB1600's, 2 AB800's and an ABR800 all plugged in at the same time and they worked great. Little slow on the recycle times but a lifesaver when on location.

Dec 31 08 09:09 am Link

Photographer

AJ Sullivan

Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, US

Well this thread convinced me....

but before I hit "add to cart"...someone give the assurance I need:

I will be able to use at least 2 of my 750w Travelites with this, correct?

Dec 31 08 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Springbok Designs

AJ Sullivan wrote:

Just cal them and ask to talk to Joe, he is their Vagabond expert. They are VERY helpful there.

Dec 31 08 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Springbok Designs

AJ Sullivan wrote:

THe vagabonds are just inverters, its just making "wall" power. They are not dedicated to any strobe.

Dec 31 08 09:16 am Link

Photographer

AJ Sullivan

Is Joe going to be straight up and tell me that I can use another brand of lights with their equipment? Cause based on the website it says its designed for ABs/WLs

Photographer

AJ Sullivan

Cool. Bought.

Photographer

Springbok Designs

AJ Sullivan wrote:
Is Joe going to be straight up and tell me that I can use another brand of lights with their equipment? Cause based on the website it says its designed for ABs/WLs

Yes, I think so. They have been nothing but helpful to me and seem very genuine. They should be stoked you are willing to dish out 350 bones for their product. Like I said, its just an inverter that turns 12 volts to 110 and has a standard receptor in it. I use a power strip so I can plug up to 4 lights into one of mine. Joe told me I could plug 4 AB800's into one Vagabond. You can check the watts on those and do the math for your strobes.

Dec 31 08 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

AJ Sullivan wrote:

Most likely they will only assure there are no problems with their lights since that's what they are testing with.. But I have used them with Alien/White, Photogenic mono and Norman pacs.. All good..

Happy shooting..

Dec 31 08 09:21 am Link

Photographer

AJ Sullivan

Nice, thanks for your help guys. Just got my order confirmation on my phone. Now I have to justify to the fiance why I just spent $350.

Dec 31 08 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Springbok Designs

AJ Sullivan wrote:
Nice, thanks for your help guys. Just got my order confirmation on my phone. Now I have to justify to the fiance why I just spent $350.

Tell her you will still marry her wink

Have fun shooting with your new toy!

Dec 31 08 09:28 am Link

Photographer

BillK Photo

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Has anyone tried to fly with it?  Is it allowed for carry on or does it has to be checked?

Dec 31 08 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Benjamin Carlson

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

BillK Photo wrote:
Has anyone tried to fly with it?  Is it allowed for carry on or does it has to be checked?

just let them know upfront what it is and offer to have it inspected, you shouldn't have a problem, considering that you got other photographic equipment with you.

I got mine this year along with the WL 1600X, btw, there customer service is really really good, when i bought the Zeus 2500 twin head, first they replaced it and i decided to return it for the vagabond and WL, no problem at all. very satisfied with them.

Dec 31 08 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

ME AND I LOVE IT

Dec 31 08 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

AJ Sullivan wrote:

Tell her you love her so much that you are going to let her carry it for you.

Dec 31 08 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Chicago Boudoir Photo

Tinley Park, Illinois, US

Does anyone here have SPECIFIC comparison experiences with the VII and the Calumet Travel Pak Battery?   I have been contemplating purchasing a battery pack in the early spring, and this thread fourtunately came up just as I was researching the Calumet.

After reading all the glowing reports here about the Vagabond II, I'm kind of wondering what would convince me to spend the extra $100.00 that the Calumet Battery costs.

Jan 01 09 10:53 am Link