This thread was locked on 2009-10-19 11:41:48
Forums > General Industry > All about Headshots

Model

Missy Richards

Federal Way, Washington, US

Hi there I was just wondering if you think when you do a headshot is it better to not have any skin showing, and a dark top? When doing the headshot in B/W? I was told that my head shots are crappy because he didn't do it at a good angle and got the glare in my glasses also the white part of my top at the neck takes your focus away from the picture? I'm just wondering how true this is as many of the examples you show here either have the model/person showing some skin or shirt of some color .

Thanks,

Melissa

Apr 27 09 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Melissa Obeso wrote:
Hi there I was just wondering if you think when you do a headshot is it better to not have any skin showing, and a dark top? When doing the headshot in B/W? I was told that my head shots are crappy because he didn't do it at a good angle and got the glare in my glasses also the white part of my top at the neck takes your focus away from the picture? I'm just wondering how true this is as many of the examples you show here either have the model/person showing some skin or shirt of some color .

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 250&page=1

Apr 27 09 12:40 pm Link

Model

Amy Bromaroff

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

I was told before that as a model, you should have your hair tied back and pulled out of your face, is that true? I am interested in commercial modelling, and I noticed from your examples, the models had their hair down. I am shooting my headshot tomorrow, so I really need to find out. If someone could let me know, that would be great! Thanks.

Apr 28 09 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AmyBromaroff wrote:
I noticed from your examples, the models had their hair down.

There is a clue in there somewhere.

Apr 29 09 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

bump

May 08 09 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Hulse

Amy Bromaroff wrote:
I was told before that as a model, you should have your hair tied back and pulled out of your face, is that true? I am interested in commercial modelling, and I noticed from your examples, the models had their hair down. I am shooting my headshot tomorrow, so I really need to find out. If someone could let me know, that would be great! Thanks.

Just found this link from models1 in the UK. It kind of suggests that you hair should be natural, so they can see how it falls.

http://www.models1.com/become.asp

May 19 09 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks very much for the tutorial. I'm shooting a model who specifically asked for beauty* headshots done "not commercial" in august. This is when I realized I probably should do more in depth reading into what the hell that meant. smile

It's interesting to learn about the format, because so many non-specific model photographers (more so portrait, actually) use 8x10-12 and not 9x12 as indicated.

Aug 03 09 01:20 pm Link

Model

Victoria Dagger

San Francisco, California, US

This is so helpful.  I'm pretty new to this, and this is making me realize what seems to be a gaping hole in my port.  I've got a couple portraits that give a good sense of what I look like but aren't headshots in the sense you have described; I'll make it a priority next time a photog asks if there's anything I need done.

Aug 04 09 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Julie DeMarre

New York, New York, US

Fantastic post!  Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into it - wonderful advice and explanations!

Oct 07 09 08:35 am Link

Model

TooFlyRyGuy

Novato, California, US

What happened to the original post?  I want the informative information!

Oct 19 09 10:30 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Ryan R Lee wrote:

The OP didn't want you to see it anymore so he deleted it.

Oct 19 09 10:35 am Link

Model

Rhiannon Davis

Dallas, Texas, US

Ryan R Lee wrote:

I PMed you.

Oct 19 09 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Digi Directors

Taichung City, Taichung City, Taiwan

Rhiannon Davis wrote:

I PMed you.

If you PM'ed him the original post, can you do the same for me?

I am really interested as well.

Thanks.

Oct 19 09 10:47 am Link