ethiopia
senegal
india
the carribbean
brazil
cuba
dominican republic
hawaii

where are they in the fashion industry? why dont we see their beauty as the standard in the industry? why arent there more models from these countries represented?

Apr 09 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

images by elahi wrote:
some of the most beautiful women in the world are from:

mali
kenya
ethiopia
senegal
india
the carribbean
brazil
cuba
dominican republic

where are they in the fashion industry? why dont we see their beuaty as the standard in the industry? why arent there more models from these countries represented?

Actually, there are plenty of models from these areas. Brazil especially....Ever hear of Gisele Bundchen, Adriana Lima or Isabeli Fontana?

How about Aishwarya Rai, former Miss World and now actress from India?

There are plenty of these beautiful women out there. You just need to look.

Apr 09 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ed Remington wrote:

Actually, there are plenty of models from these areas. Brazil especially....Ever hear of Gisele Bundchen, Adriana Lima or Isabeli Fontana?

How about Aishwarya Rai, former Miss World and now actress from India?

There are plenty of these beautiful women out there. You just need to look.

yes, ED but I thoink that they far outnumber the majority of the women we see...in other words, more models and supermodels, if it were based purely on beuaty, whould be less euro...

Apr 09 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

images by elahi wrote:

mali
kenya
ethiopia
senegal
india
the carribbean
brazil
cuba
dominican republic
hawaii

where are they in the fashion industry? why dont we see their beauty as the standard in the industry? why arent there more models from these countries represented?

Many of these models are represented in the industry, but in markets other than what the western cultures are familiar with.  For example, India hosts their own fashion week...which is a HUGE production in Asia.  The Indian fashion industry is said to be worth some $50m a year - and is growing at an annual rate of 11%.

Believe me, if a pattern of talent exists in a country or location, the top agencies WILL be there!  (If they safely can...)

There are MANY represented models from homelands of Ethiopia, India, and Brazil.  Most of the top agencies have set up shop in Brazil.  Elite Model Management has a location in India as well.

Additionally, some of the countries you have mentioned have civil unrest and corrupt governments.  Therefore, I couldn't imagine an agency risking lives to scout talent...LOL!  On a brighter note, some of the top names are refugees from war torn countries.

Apr 09 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ModelInstinctive wrote:

Many of these models are represented in the industry, but in markets other than what the western cultures are familiar with.  For example, India hosts their own fashion week...which is a HUGE production in Asia.  The Indian fashion industry is said to be worth some $50m a year - and is growing at an annual rate of 11%.

Believe me, if a pattern of talent exists in a country or location, the top agencies WILL be there!  (If they safely can...)

There are MANY represented models from homelands of Ethiopia, India, and Brazil.  Most of the top agencies have set up shop in Brazil.  Elite Model Management has a location in India as well.

Additionally, some of the countries you have mentioned have civil unrest and corrupt governments.  Therefore, I couldn't imagine an agency risking lives to scout talent...LOL!  On a brighter note, some of the top names are refugees from war torn countries.

thank you for the elucidation on the subject

Apr 09 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

images by elahi wrote:

yes, ED but I thoink that they far outnumber the majority of the women we see...in other words, more models and supermodels, if it were based purely on beuaty, whould be less euro...

That's not necessarily true....If it is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...Then the models from these countries would rise to the top just as the Euro models have. More people would want to see them, creating more demand, getting more jobs and thus getting more national exposure.

It's not like the opportunity isn't there. I Googled each of the countries you listed and I found plenty of modeling information for each country. If I could do it, then so can the art directors, fashion designers and marketing agents when looking for models to show their clothes and be in their ads.

Apr 09 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Luther

Arlington, Virginia, US

images by elahi wrote:

mali
kenya
ethiopia
senegal
india
the carribbean
brazil
cuba
dominican republic
hawaii

How could you forget Eastern European countries and Russia?

Apr 09 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Luther wrote:

How could you forget Eastern European countries and Russia?

Read the thread...He is asking why the listed countries aren't better represented in the fashion world due to the large number of Euro models that are dominating the modeling scene.

Apr 09 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have no idea... I wish Hawaii was better represented in the fashion world but aloha shirts and muumuus aren't exactly haute couture.

Apr 10 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Brandon Ching wrote:
I have no idea... I wish Hawaii was better represented in the fashion world but aloha shirts and muumuus aren't exactly haute couture.

yes i agree

Apr 10 06 05:23 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Brandon Ching wrote:

Says who? wink

Apr 10 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

images by elahi wrote:

As has already been pointed out, you do see many of them, and there are others that are prevented by practical concerns from having much access to the modeling market.

But that misses the point.  The fashion industry, like any other, isn't concerned with "the standard in the industry".  They are concerned, like any other industry, with appealing to the people who buy their products.  The models they choose are chosen for that purpose, not to emulate any "standard of beauty".  They aren't creating standards, nor living up to them.  They are just selling a product.

Apr 10 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TXPhotog wrote:

As has already been pointed out, you do see many of them, and there are others that are prevented by practical concerns from having much access to the modeling market.

But that misses the point.  The fashion industry, like any other, isn't concerned with "the standard in the industry".  They are concerned, like any other industry, with appealing to the people who buy their products.  The models they choose are chosen for that purpose, not to emulate any "standard of beauty".  They aren't creating standards, nor living up to them.  They are just selling a product.

nah that's not true

again, you cannot separate culture and politics from business bud....

Apr 10 06 06:32 pm Link