Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > MySpace controversy

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Okay if a 15 year old says that they are 19 or 25 (and they look it), and an adult starts talking to them and they get together and have sex, should the adult be prosecuted?

Should the parents of the young person be legally responsible?

Apr 10 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

OK edited. Yes, it's the adult's responsibility to verify the age.

Don't know if the parents would be held responsibile unless there was a case of a gross negligence.

Apr 10 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

images by elahi wrote:
Okay if a 15 year old says that they are 19 or 25 (and they look it), and an adult starts talking to them and they get together and have sex, should the adult be prosecuted?

What does that have to do with Myspace?  Isn't the question the same in a bar, or a coffee shop?  How is it different because the initial contact happened online?

Apr 10 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TXPhotog wrote:

What does that have to do with Myspace?  Isn't the question the same in a bar, or a coffee shop?  How is it different because the initial contact happened online?

oaky so if it happened anywhere........your answer is..........

Apr 10 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Furious Styles Photo

Dallas, Texas, US

You should know by now to ask for an ID. Come on now, in a world full of deceit, trust no one.

Apr 10 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Would a bar be different then a coffee shop?

Given that it is the responsibility and the law that the bar make sure the patron is over 21 to drink?

Apr 10 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

images by elahi wrote:

YES!!!!! "dirty old men" are not the only sexual predators out there any more its the "i am looking for attain kid" also the kid should should be prosecuted also parents need to take back control of there kids and i do not really consider the excuse that "i do not understand the internet or computers well" as executable the net has been around long enff that it had become commonplace and not to mechen a parent CAN put the computer in a location so that they can see over the kids shoulder and they can also demand the kids give them all there pass words and user names them it not hard nore expansive to put keyboard recorders on there puters then on top of that Windows has a pass word on it when you start so you can look out the use of the puter people say that "my kid can crack it" well if it is in the living room and your watching it they will not have the chance

Apr 10 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

images by elahi wrote:

still YES!!!

Apr 10 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Mark - SydelineWorks

Wexford, Pennsylvania, US

Marksora wrote:

Would a bar be different then a coffee shop?

Given that it is the responsibility and the law that the bar make sure the patron is over 21 to drink?

Prosecutors don't care............!!  They slam both............... not choose one over the other............

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

well if your going to run around having sex with strangers you would be wise to see some ID.....This isn't like a real relationship where you know the person, this is simply a sexual encounter and guess what..... If they don't have a drivers license they can show you, they probably are not 18.  Move on to the next myspace profile.

oh, and parents should not be letting their kids on myspace in my opinion but then these are not my kids so I have no control over that....should the parents be prosecuted?  I don't think so but they should be told that letting your teens on my space is a huge risk and they need to sharpen their parental qualifications, but I don't think you can micro manage how people parent their children.

Photographer

Michael Woodward

Springfield, Virginia, US

TXPhotog, I think they might be refering to...US TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 117 > § 2425

§ 2425. Use of interstate facilities to transmit information about a minor
Release date: 2005-08-03

Whoever, using the mail or any facility or means of interstate or foreign commerce, or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, knowingly initiates the transmission of the name, address, telephone number, social security number, or electronic mail address of another individual, knowing that such other individual has not attained the age of 16 years, with the intent to entice, encourage, offer, or solicit any person to engage in any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

Apr 10 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Michael Woodward wrote:
TXPhotog, I think they might be refering to...US TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 117 > § 2425

§ 2425. Use of interstate facilities to transmit information about a minor
Release date: 2005-08-03

Whoever, using the mail or any facility or means of interstate or foreign commerce, or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, knowingly initiates the transmission of the name, address, telephone number, social security number, or electronic mail address of another individual, knowing that such other individual has not attained the age of 16 years, with the intent to entice, encourage, offer, or solicit any person to engage in any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

No, I don't think so.  The predator generally does not "initiate" the transmission of any of that; and none of that is required to meet someone.  Saying "meet me at Starbucks at 8:00 PM" doesn't violate the law.

Apr 10 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

images by elahi wrote:

My answer is that the laws of the states vary, and the law of the individual state would apply.  In some cases a reasonable belief that the person is over the age of consent is adequate; in others it is not.

As to the parents, it depends on the degree to which they were negligent.  It isn't necessarily true that the meeting took place because of activity the parents could or should have control over.

Apr 10 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Michael Woodward

Springfield, Virginia, US

i think the key there was "with the intent to entice, encourage, offer, or solicit any person to engage in any sexual activity"

my understanding is that if you use the internet to lure someone underage to have sex, special penalties kick in.

TXPhotog wrote:

No, I don't think so.  The predator generally does not "initiate" the transmission of any of that; and none of that is required to meet someone.  Saying "meet me at Starbucks at 8:00 PM" doesn't violate the law.

Apr 10 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Michael Woodward wrote:
i think the key there was "with the intent to entice, encourage, offer, or solicit any person to engage in any sexual activity"

my understanding is that if you use the internet to lure someone underage to have sex, special penalties kick in.

Perhaps, but that doesn't seem to be what the law says.

Apr 10 06 11:12 am Link

Model

Amiruku

Orlando, Florida, US

(Reply)  Okay if a 15 year old says that they are 19 or 25 (and they look it), and an adult starts talking to them and they get together and have sex, should the adult be prosecuted?

**YES** The adult should be prosecuted, man or woman, they have to have proof of age. **2nd, the parents should be at fault also, they need to pay more attention of what their kids are doing! I have a 7 year old, I watch his back always, if something happens to him it would be my fault for not watching him and keeping an eye out. Yet if something happens to him outside my vision, like at school, the janitor does something!! Thats not my fault then. My Space has nothing to do with this. This kind of things happen everywhere. Adults need to take ACTION, and be MORE responsible!!!! Point blank, there's not much difficulty in doing that. If you can't handle that, you're not a true adult.

Apr 10 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Furious Styles Photo wrote:
You should know by now to ask for an ID. Come on now, in a world full of deceit, trust no one.

C'mon now. If I meet a hot chick at a party, I'm supposed to ask her for her Id? I can just hear it now, "Say, er . . ah . . could you show me some ID so I know if it's ok for me to bof you???" Riigghhtt.

Apr 10 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Lens N Light wrote:

C'mon now. If I meet a hot chick at a party, I'm supposed to ask her for her Id? I can just hear it now, "Say, er . . ah . . could you show me some ID so I know if it's ok for me to bof you???" Riigghhtt.

And the bar will need a photocopy machine with a ID verifier so that I have visible proof for later on along with the written statement that the person is okay with engaging these activities and each and every part of these activities.

Apr 10 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Marksora wrote:

And the bar will need a photocopy machine with a ID verifier so that I have visible proof for later on along with the written statement that the person is okay with engaging these activities and each and every part of these activities.

welcome to the world we live in, where everyone blames someone else and no one takes personal responsibility.  The first thing out of every a**holes mouth is, "I'll sue!"
I give.....just shoot me now (no, no...take hime home and shoot him...20 points for the reference)

Apr 10 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

RudeFood

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I followed a thread from another site here, and joined up to see the fuss.

I still think it's WRONG for a 16y/o to have images like these on the Internet, in a forum/venue such as this.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=113559

Forget MM, where I caught my 14 y/o daughter messing around, and having set up a myspace profile at age 13, claiming to be much older.  At least she wasn't naked.   *AND* she hasn't had computer access from the house or shop in about a year, so she had to have done it at school or a friend's, and since we monitor the friends... it had to be at school. 

So much for her arguments for a camera phone or even camera.  Lock down.

So it's great to say it's up to the parents, but we tried, and the kids still found a way around all our attempts to block and monitor their actions.

And, who monitors the people who take pictures of the kids?  How do you know it's really even the kids actually posting, and not someone impersonating them?

Rude Food

Apr 10 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

On the internet...

...no one can hear the cell door slam shut.

Studio36

Apr 10 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lens N Light wrote:

lol

Apr 10 06 06:39 pm Link