Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > idolatry vs modeling

Photographer

N8R Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I figure this deserves it's own thread so here it is.  Keep in mind, I'm not a hater or really trying to stir anything up but the "born again" post thats concurrently running got me to thinking. 

Isn't the bible against Idolatry?

i·dol·a·try   Audio pronunciation of "idolatry" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-dl-tr)
n. pl. i·dol·a·tries

1. Worship of idols.
   2. Blind or excessive devotion to something.

And that got me to thinking that in our current pop culture obsessed world where celebs and top models are more or less worshipped, how do you justify your religion w/your career path?  And further more, is blind devotion to a religion cause enough to make that religion an Idol itself?

Apr 11 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

N8R Photography wrote:
I figure this deserves it's own thread so here it is.  Keep in mind, I'm not a hater or really trying to stir anything up but the "born again" post thats concurrently running got me to thinking. 

i·dol·a·try   Audio pronunciation of "idolatry" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-dl-tr)
n. pl. i·dol·a·tries

1. Worship of idols.

And that got me to thinking that in our current pop culture obsessed world where celebs and top models are more or less worshipped, how do you justify your religion w/your career path?  And further more, is blind devotion to a religion cause enough to make that religion an Idol itself?

Not a Christian, so I'll be whipped and scourged if I'm wrong.. But I'm pretty sure the bible was more concerned with definition #1 than it was with definition #2..

If you're going to take a literalist's interpretation of the "word", I assume you have to take a similar interpretation of the definitions.. wink

Apr 11 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well now, I dunno. I've certainly 'worshiped' some of the ladies I've worked with and have even known a few in the biblical sense (Hey, I wasn't always an old fart!), but "idolatry"? I suppose those with religious beliefs that fundamental (could I say barbaric?) are in some other line of work. After all, someone has to shoot all of those scenic and sunset shots, sell those cars and Bibles. If someone is that hung up on religion, I expect photography of models is the wrong line of work. But for what it's worth, a couple of years ago I did a private commission, a nude session with a female minister, she and her husband wanted the shots for their personal use. I suppose they did not think it was any sort of 'sin'.

As for worship of celebrities, personally I've never understood it. It would never occur to me to walk across the street to see any sort of celebrity in person. I would much prefer to worship the greenback dollah!

Apr 11 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Not a Christian, so I'll be whipped and scourged if I'm wrong.. But I'm pretty sure the bible was more concerned with definition #1 than it was with definition #2..

If you're going to take a literalist's interpretation of the "word", I assume you have to take a similar interpretation of the definitions.. wink

I'm pretty sure it meant both...worshiping a literal idol, like a statue, or excessively devoting yourself to something pretty much turn into the same thing.

Apr 11 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

The Taliban are recruiting;  just join up and you get to destroy all the idols you want!

Apr 11 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Curtis

Westlake, Louisiana, US

N8R Photography wrote:

n. pl. i·dol·a·tries

1. Worship of idols.

Not to get into a semantic discussion, but I think that's a stretch on the definition of idolatry. I might like looking at Heidi's hiney, I might even REALLY like looking at Heidi's hiney, but I wouldn't pray to it for guidance and strength, some obsessive types might "worship" her in the fan sense, but I think the motivation there is sexual, not spiritual (some might argue similiarities, but that would be yet another thread).

I think you are right however, that today we do give FAR too much 'status' to celebrity strictly for celebrity's sake. I even think some sensible celebrities would agree with that statement. I don't agree that it's contradictory to one's religious beliefs.

Apr 11 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Haha!  I think that this is indeed a very valid question and many people downplay its significance.  Possibly because they don't like the implications if they truly thought it through. 

First off, I'd say that, like someone mentioned earlier, the two definitions do indeed become the same thing.  An idol is merely a focal point of worship/devotion.  It could be argued than many photographers worship a model or a favorite camera.  I know many people who certainly worship their cars.  It all depends on how much time/energy you put into a thing or cause vs the time/energy put into the connection with a higher power.

Apr 11 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

N8R Photography wrote:
And further more, is blind devotion to a religion cause enough to make that religion an Idol itself?

The people who wrote the bible want their idols idolized. It's a power thing.

As to Christian religious symbols: is it me or are they creepy? Just think, if Jesus was hanged instead of crucified the Christians would have the gallows for a religious symbol.

Apr 11 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

N8R Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Gregory Garecki wrote:

The people who wrote the bible want their idols idolized. It's a power thing.

As to Christian religious symbols: is it me or are they creepy? Just think, if Jesus was hanged instead of crucified the Christians would have the gallows for a religious symbol.

hehe, I like to follow the Bill Hicks logic on that one,  I mean what's w/all the christians wearing crosses?  do you think if jesus came back he'd ever want to see a cross again?

Apr 11 06 08:38 pm Link