Forums > Critique > Ready for my critique!

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
     I'm ready for my critique, especially before I do more shoots (which are upcoming), I want to know what I should focus on. 
I'm an alt. model looking to eventually get on the cover or between the pages of Skin Two, Marquis, and work with major fetish/gothic/corset designers, but I also want my images to be appealing or at least interesting to people outside that sphere (ex. Dita on the cover of Playboy, very non-mainstream woman who has some mainstream appeal). 
Please note that I have done VERY few shoots, hence the lack of diversity in my portfolio, that will be remedied (and I'll have some smiling shots because I didn't have 7 years or braces and maintain my perfectly white teeth for nothing!). 
I know that many of the images are sub-par, and that I can look heavier than I am in a shot or two, and that some seriously need to be edited in Photoshop or thrown out (Only one of the images has been photoshopped, and it's clear which). 

Constructive criticism please, no one gains anything by being outright nasty.

Jul 05 05 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Your critique of yourself and your work seems to be spot on to me.

Just look for photographers whose work speaks to you and looks like something that would be "on the cover or between the pages of Skin Two [or] Marquis."

Jul 05 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Your main avatar image is very eye-catching!!

"bitchy face" and "impromptu" shot I like, because they show off your figure and your features, respectively. They also show that you can put on and take off expressions, which is really important. The "wedding gown" pic helps indicate you're not just an "alternate" model.

your comment about looking heavier doesn't apply but you may want to re-crop some of the images in your portfolio to deemphasize how poor costume choices have sometimes made you look "hippier" than you are. A corset with a poofy short skirt under it would make Twiggy look zoftig. you need a shot with you in a pencil skirt or something like that, instead!

In short, I think you look great. Your portfolio is a bit unbalanced toward the goth/alternative look. My opinion is that it'd really balance out if you had a "typical american girl" shot maybe in a bikini looking wholesome and cheerful someplace, balanced by a casual jeans-and-tshirt, barefoot with minimal make-up shot.

XtremeArtists says:
Your critique of yourself and your work seems to be spot on to me.

Yup! And good suggestion to look here for photographers who'd have the look you want. I'd suggest you beg Lithium Picnic to shoot you. He's terrific and would have a fun time with a beautiful alt-model like you!

mjr.
(Hey, Xtreme, looks like we're not gonna get flamed for this one... *phew*!!)

Jul 05 05 11:40 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

LOL, no, you're not going to get flamed!!!  I do see the "hippiness", but I'm torn because I do like to emphasize my hourglass figure (and the alt. ideal that tends toward the pinup doesn't seem to mind the hips) without looking chunky.
I AM planning to get one of two shots of me looking "normal," not a lot of makeup, (dare I say jeans???) no fancy hair, because I agree that it's great for anyone's portfolio, shows how you look without the artifice.
So far I have been targeting GOOD photogs in the industry (Chad Ward, Nadya Lev and so on), and I would love to shoot w/Lithium Picnic one day, the work is awesome!
Thanks for the good feedback, it's truly appreciated!!!

Jul 05 05 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by io: 
LOL, no, you're not going to get flamed!!!  I do see the "hippiness"

BABY YOU ARE SLAMMIN'!!! Hippy? Was that a typo? Didn't you mean to type "HOTTTTTTTT"!?

I would love to do pictures of you!!! Too bad you're so far away. sad

GWC

Jul 06 05 12:03 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

LOL, well thanks for the compliment!

Jul 06 05 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Very impressive!  Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a great and diversified portfolio in no time.

Jul 06 05 12:08 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Thank you, although I'm a bit harder on myself...ALWAYS room for improvement, esp. when you're just starting out.

Jul 06 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Have you thought about 1950s retro? Just an idea...

Jul 06 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Have you thought about 1950s retro? Just an idea...

Damn you, Xtreme! You beat me to it!! I was just going to suggest that she check out http://www.cameointimates.com and get a bullet bra and lace-up tummy panty/garter set and some stockings. wink  If you contact Chris and Connie (the proprietors) and tell them you're doing it for a shoot they may give you a discount, and they also have a nice gallery of models in their warez.

Also, check out "stop staring" clothing on http://www.daddyos.com  They have a retro 50's bathing suit that you would fill to perfection. I can picture you in the
https://www.daddyos.com/retro/img/2772sm.jpg
or the
https://www.daddyos.com/retro/img/ndrs4sm.jpg
Just kill me now and stop the pain!

mjr.

Jul 06 05 12:38 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Actually, yes, but it's not what I want to focus on.  However, there's one image I'd love to make come true:
Me: 1950s black satin dinner dress, hair in french roll, dainty white gloves, pearls (have all this), big cheerful "fake" smile.

The setting: well-lit vintage-stlye kitchen, whole image has a very Breakfast At Tiffany's/Vogue look.

The floor: my husband, facedown, wth a steak knife in his back and my well-heeled foot atop him.

1950s High fashion look, dark comedic subect matter.   Oh, it will be realized some day!!!

Jul 06 05 12:41 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

I could do with the 1950s swimsuit pinup too!  But...no one wants to see ALL that pastyness, lol...no matter how much I like it.

Jul 06 05 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

Posted by io: 
The floor: my husband, facedown, wth a steak knife in his back and my well-heeled foot atop him.

That would rule!!

Did you see The Rocketeer? It'd be awesome to do a set of that scene where Betty was being photographed by the Guy With Camera - you'd need an 8x10 in the background, and someone who looked incredibly sweaty and sleazy. wink

mjr.

Jul 06 05 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

There's another photographer on MM and elsewhere who does the whole 50's thing. Search for "Mark Anthony Lacy" - I love his whole look. He's MM #4880

mjr.

Jul 06 05 12:47 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

God knows, I don't remember a scene from that movie! I'm young here now, I was a kid when I saw it...yeah, as you can see in one of my images, shooting w/sleazy male models is fun, adds edge and no pretentiousness from 'em!

Jul 06 05 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well you already know my opinion. =]

Looking forward to Skin Two and to working with you.

Jul 06 05 07:54 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Me too!!! yay!smile

Jul 06 05 02:27 pm Link