Forums > Photography Talk > Touching up images

Photographer

SHEdriven Photography

Fort Worth, Texas, US

I'm a farely new photographer with models and was wondering when i do photoshoots for models do they usually expect photog to do the touch up if needed? I recently got photoshop but just know the basics not touching up. Would i need to base my rates little lower because of non touching up experience?

Any advice will be helpful.

Thank you
Kim

Apr 12 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, in fact you shouldn't charge until you can touch-up too

Apr 12 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Star wrote:
Yes, in fact you shouldn't charge until you can touch-up too

Yes,  noone charged before photoshop became popular.

Apr 12 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Stormrider

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I think it all depends on whether your pics are in dire need of touching up or not. 

In the end, you don't want to hand them something that looks like shit.  And if your pics look good without touching up don't worry aboot it.  If your pics look great after touching up, then charge a little more for your time.

Apr 12 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

SHEdriven Photography

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Yeah I wouldn't give them work that looks crappy and non professional. I have photographed models whom had flawless skin and others in which makeup was done properly so they were pleased. But in going forward i just wondered if i need to chage accordingly till i learn how to touch up photos.

I will be doing someones headshot soon and realize headshots really require tight touch ups.

Thanks for all your input.

Apr 12 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

Kim, touching up photos can be daunting, but even a simple clone/healing stamp will go a long ways. for touching up little imperfections in the face, just magnify the picture to about 200-400% and dab your healing/cloning brush.

Apr 13 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

SHEdriven Photography

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Ok sounds easy  i will give that a try. Thanks for all advice giving.

Apr 13 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Arobeck

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

all praise be to the healing brush

Apr 13 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Every image needs some sort of touch up.....a little color management, contrast, whatever it may be.....it's part of the job, whether in the darkroom or on the screen in photoshop....read some tutorials or see it done in person by any mentors you have.

Apr 13 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

JulianRancePhotography

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

All of these comments are great but having been in your position before, don't be too quick to use photoshop as your saving grace.  Learn how to use that camera before you put down the shutter button for a right click.  I'll give you an example...look at my avatar.  I've had people assume I photoshopped that image.  Truth is...I used a fast shutter in a dark room.  Set my light correct and I think the image rocks.  Point I'm making is this.  You are a photographer first.  Photoshopper second.  Learn your camera...then all you'll ever need photoshop for is changing the resolution of your images so they'll fit on Model Mayhem (LOL)!!!

Keep it poppin,

Mr. Jay

Apr 13 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Mr Jay wrote:
All of these comments are great but having been in your position before, don't be too quick to use photoshop as your saving grace.  Learn how to use that camera before you put down the shutter button for a right click.  I'll give you an example...look at my avatar.  I've had people assume I photoshopped that image.  Truth is...I used a fast shutter in a dark room.  Set my light correct and I think the image rocks.  Point I'm making is this.  You are a photographer first.  Photoshopper second.  Learn your camera...then all you'll ever need photoshop for is changing the resolution of your images so they'll fit on Model Mayhem (LOL)!!!

Keep it poppin,

Mr. Jay

Definitely for sure....photoshop is not designed to be a crutch for improperly photographing.....but is important. As long as you can learn the clone to fix blemishes, and about levels / contrast, you can add a lot of pop to your images, and those steps are easy to learn.

Apr 13 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

J Tate

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It shouldnt take long to master the basics for photoshop. If your pictures are already good & all you need is blemish control concentrate on playing with soften, clone, & smudge (set at about 33% opacity) for a day or two.

Apr 13 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

SHEdriven Photography

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Thank you all for the advice. I agree most of the work should be done with the camera and not count on photoshop. It's easy to get hooked on photoshopping your images i will admit cause i use it to ENHANCE my images but don't work my work to be based on photoshop and not the shot creative input into the shot itself.

I will continue to practice photoshop just in case for little marks or blemishes someone might show. So far though ive worked with models with great skin but know that wont always be the case even with great MUA. Thanks again everyone.

Love this site soo much info and inspiration!

Apr 13 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

If your photogrpahy is good enough, photoshop shouldn't matter.  I charged for two years before I started photoshopping.  I only photoshop SOME of my pics now.  If you're relying on photoshop to be able to charge, you may want to pack it in now.  If you don't rely on photoshop, you will force yourself to find the best lighting, and be more creative.  just my opinion.

Apr 13 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTODAC

Rutherford, New Jersey, US

Be careful not to go overboard with PS, just a few touches here and there are sometimes good enough. There is nothing worse than an over processed photo.

Apr 13 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

JTP_Digital

Vientiane, Viangchan Prefecture, Laos

Arobeck wrote:
all praise be to the healing brush

Amen!!!

Apr 16 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

There's a big difference between "Photoshopping" images and using Photoshop for "Post [processing]"

To achieve professional level results from your photography, you should know the basics of Photoshop for post. Levels, Color-correction, saturation, contrast, sharpening, [judicious] healing, ...
There are books on the subject.

John

Apr 16 06 08:08 pm Link