Forums > Critique > You're only as good as your worst shot

Model

Sarah Prankha

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

So which one is mine?

I'd like to add to my portfolio and i need to know first what I should get rid of.

And what would you like to see more of/what styles should i try that i haven't done yet?

Jul 06 05 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I think the one I like the least in your portfolio is your old avatar shot - the black and white one where you're kind of lying back upside down. It looks a bit out of focus and washed out.

I like the one of you on the bridge but the context doesn't make sense. Here's this dressed-to-the-9s girl on a bridge. Huh? I think that a few more costumey/fashiony pictures would fit well in your portfolio but if you're doing fashion, make sure they're well-lit and well thought out.

mjr.

Jul 06 05 04:49 pm Link

Model

Just Cat

Santa Barbara, California, US

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I LOVE the bridge shot. I think it was my favorite, and I like everything about it. smile

Jul 06 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Catalina Mercury: 
I LOVE the bridge shot.

I LIKE the bridge shot, but I guess I'm really literal-minded and I was trying to make sense somehow.

This is what's so cool to me about art. You can show the same photo to 15 people and, if they all feel the same way about it, all you know is that it's very very good or very very bad. I used to do portfolio debriefs with other photographers and one would go "I HATE this photo" at the same time as another would be saying, "I LOVE this photo" -- arrrrg! smile

mjr.

Jul 06 05 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I like the bridge shot too, but I'd like it more if it had higher contrast.  It should be brighter overall, but with deeper shadows.  I don't mind at all if it doesn't make literal sense.

My least favorite photo is the brick wall photo.  The light is too hot on your skin, and the shadows are really distracting.  It's also the only photo where your hair is not particularly interesting. 

Jul 06 05 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I'd say that the bridge shot is NOT a good shot -for a modeling portfolio.  Maybe if you were building an ART portfolio, it could stay, but for a modeling photo I'd reject it.  First of all it doesn't look like pro work.  The colors are too muddy, contrast is out of wack, the composition is dull and does little to showcase you, the bridge overwhelms you too much (to say this is a good modeling shot), the sky is poorly done, and your body and face are hidden.

Also I'd get rid of that brick shot.  The lighting is amateurish, as is the composition.  Overall its technically dull.  Diaz is right.

Sorry to be so blunt, not aiming to be rude.  I like your work and you've got some good shots in your port, and I'm sure you'll crank out tons more.   Just my 2 cents on which ones to throw out.

Jul 06 05 07:20 pm Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

Posted by Nello Ryan: 

Sorry to be so blunt, not aiming to be rude.  I like your work and you've got some good shots in your port, and I'm sure you'll crank out tons more.   Just my 2 cents on which ones to throw out.

Not being rude at all! I ask because i am biased... those are pictures of me after all.

As for the bridge, there is something I love about it as well. Maybe because it is arty? Though it was from my very first photoshoot and obviously shows.

Jul 07 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

In defense of the bridge photo:

Our portfolios are our resumes.  And any good resume shows both our qualifications and our objectives.  In other words, it tells people what we can do and what we would like to do.  There are plenty of photos in your portfolio that show us what you look like, but the bridge photo also gives us an idea of what kind of work you'd like to be doing.  You are drawn to it for a reason, and I think you should pursue that as well as the more commercial directions that your other photos exhibit.

Jul 07 05 12:38 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

"White" You have so many better pics

Jul 07 05 01:28 am Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
In defense of the bridge photo:

Our portfolios are our resumes.  And any good resume shows both our qualifications and our objectives.  In other words, it tells people what we can do and what we would like to do.  There are plenty of photos in your portfolio that show us what you look like, but the bridge photo also gives us an idea of what kind of work you'd like to be doing.  You are drawn to it for a reason, and I think you should pursue that as well as the more commercial directions that your other photos exhibit.

Ah this is something i never thought about before. I like this, as it explains why I could never part with it.

Jul 07 05 02:47 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Moonlightflame: 
So which one is mine?

I'd like to add to my portfolio and i need to know first what I should get rid of.

And what would you like to see more of/what styles should i try that i haven't done yet?

Not even interested to look at your port... simply because it's in my own opinion a ridiculous statement to start.

Everybody has bad pictures, not every shot a photographer, even the best in the world is a great one...

Jul 07 05 03:00 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

So which one is mine?

Sorry if it's your favorite, but the Bridges of Pitt shot should go. Don't get me wrong. It's a nice thought, but it looks really muddy and stands out as muddy as compared to the rest of your images.

Jul 07 05 03:34 am Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Not even interested to look at your port... simply because it's in my own opinion a ridiculous statement to start.

Everybody has bad pictures, not every shot a photographer, even the best in the world is a great one...

I dont think i quite understand. Of course everyone has bad pictures, but I dont want to be showcasing those ones if I can help it.

Jul 07 05 03:36 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I dont think i quite understand. Of course everyone has bad pictures, but I dont want to be showcasing those ones if I can help it.

Exactly... a professional is able to see his/her own bad pictures and is able to eliminate them, no questions asked.

Jul 07 05 03:40 am Link

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Being a Native Pittsburgher I hate to say it too, but the bridge shot is not your strongest image.  It looks touristy, if that's a word.  It looks if if you are walking with your date after seeing whatever at Heinz Hall and he turns to you and says, "Hey, how about I get a shot of you with this bridge?"  It's an interesting shot and just my opinion.

I'm the same way with my photos, I get stubborn about which ones to delete after awhile.  I start to get a love/hate relationship with them.

Jul 07 05 03:47 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You have to decide if your portfolio is a vanity project, or a professional tool.

If it a vanity project, fill it with images you love.

If it a professional tool, treat it like a resume and fill it with images that will generate paying work for you.

I can't tell you what to love, so I'll assume it's a professional tool:

Here is the deal: A head shot and body shot (bikini/lingerie/nude) will get a model hired. Fashion and art shots set her price and put her in context.

The bridge shot is not a head shot; it's not a body shot; and it doesn't make you look like an expensive pro model. Remove it.

Lather, rinse, repeat. (i.e. take a look at all images in this way)

Jul 07 05 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Moonlightflame,

I have to go with removing the bridge shot. Your port should show you and what you look like, the bridge shot looks like an amateur vacation pic of the bridge and it also takes the focus away from you, that girl could be anyone if we didn't already know it was you.  It's not a model portfolio shot, not even close. There should be no explaination that a person in a pic is you. Art, yes, that is not art.

You say on your page you want faerie and elemental spirit shots. If that's what you really want then find a photog who does that and build that portfolio. As of now you have none. What you have now is a mix of glamour and commercial.

Are you positive you know exactly where you want to go with your modeling?

You have the potential for much better things in real world modeling but if fairies and spirits is what you have your heart set on and it makes you happy then I think that's great, do it!

Jul 07 05 10:05 am Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 

Are you positive you know exactly where you want to go with your modeling?

You have the potential for much better things in real world modeling but if fairies and spirits is what you have your heart set on and it makes you happy then I think that's great, do it!

I do not know - I think that is my problem. Right now, my feet are wet in a few different pools and I just can't decide which one to jump into - which one i fit best in.

As for the fairies - thats not the end all and be all of my modeling work - that is just a personal project thats always been in the back of my mind. There is so much i want to do, from Maxim Glamour to Sears Ads, you know? I guess its just finding that niche, although a lot of people seem to think you enter the modeling world knowing your niche.

I do not.

Jul 08 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

That's ok, most of the time your niche finds you. Just keep shooting and improving your modeling skills. I'm sure you will soon find out where the market wants you.

Best of luck,
Gary

Jul 08 05 12:35 am Link