Forums > Photography Talk > Missing a shoot's objectives

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I recenly took on an informal, unpaid shoot at a local retro clothing store with the objective of getting full-length images of outfits on models that ranged from those with no experience to an experienced pro who self-admittedly is more used to not wearing clothes!

Being used to shooting models, I ended up getting a lot of good headshots and upper bodies while missing some of the objectives. One model in particular was inexperienced, and a I took an interest in her. I ended with a disproportionate number of really nice headshots of her!

Has anything like this happened with anyone else, especially those like myself still riding the learning curve?

My current avatar came from this shoot, and is a good example of how I gravitated towards my instinctive headshots.

Apr 16 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Taria Reed

Woodbridge, New Jersey, US

I've never had that happen. I usually get the shots I'm paid to get then I have a bit of fun. Another good thing to do is get a full length and have the model hold and come in for a headshot.

I hope you got some usable pics out of the shoot.

T

Apr 16 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Personal Touch wrote:
I've never had that happen. I usually get the shots I'm paid to get then I have a bit of fun. Another good thing to do is get a full length and have the model hold and come in for a headshot.

I hope you got some usable pics out of the shoot.

T

This is a good example of why I have not yet sought paid work! This was all TFTDSC (trade for tie-dyed 60's clothing!).

Besides getting some good fashion images and headshots, I "discovered" a model (part of the reason for my distraction), and hope to work with her more.

Apr 16 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Kurvitasch

London, England, United Kingdom

Well, I have to put my hand up here, spookily similar circumstances and I ended up with more headshots than otherwise too.

Thinking about it later I realised that the clothes that the model's friend had designed did not suit her at all, and that I was not forceful enough in my direction - it was someone that I had not worked with before and she had a strong idea of what she wanted - I think it was my reaction to being told what to do!!

Oh well, we did end up with useable portfolio shots but the shoot was definitely not what was intended. You have my full sympathy, frustrating isn't it?

It's a learning curve yikes)

Apr 16 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Kurvitasch wrote:
Well, I have to put my hand up here, spookily similar circumstances and I ended up with more headshots than otherwise too.

Thinking about it later I realised that the clothes that the model's friend had designed did not suit her at all, and that I was not forceful enough in my direction - it was someone that I had not worked with before and she had a strong idea of what she wanted - I think it was my reaction to being told what to do!!

Oh well, we did end up with useable portfolio shots but the shoot was definitely not what was intended. You have my full sympathy, frustrating isn't it?

It's a learning curve yikes)

Shoots have a habit of becoming circuses and taking on personalities of their own. Case in point with Natashka (MM# 16676):

https://www.richardsfault.com/rp_photo/Val-2006.03.31/DSC_7428.jpg

Apr 16 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Simon Gerzina

Brooklyn, New York, US

I think it's key any time you take on a shoot for someone other than yourself that you think of it as a client job...even if you're not getting paid.  Hell, even when shooting for yourself think of it as a client assignment, as though you were hired to achieve an objective.  "I'm going to pretend I was hired to shoot a beauty story that was all about candy-colored lip tints."  "I'm going to pretend this is a natural-light JCrew Fall-season catalogue."  "I'm going to pretend this is is an editorial portrait shoot of a corporate exec."  And everything you do in that shoot, from location choice to lighting to angle selection, should be in service to that objective.

If you're brought in to shoot full-length fashion imagery and find yourself shooting headshots instead, you need to ask yourself what's happening that sidetracks you.  It may be nothing more than a nuisance now, but in the future it would keep a client from every hiring you twice.  Are you finding yourself resorting to a style of shooting that you're more comfortable with, rather than what you set out to do?  Fine, then leave your favorite lens at home next time and force yourself to use something different.  Don't let yourself shoot from within 10' of the model in order to force wider compositions.

Basically, before ever placing a light or clicking the shutter, ask yourself "is this what my client needs or wants?"  And if the answer is no, don't do it.  Otherwise you're wasting your time, and eventually, their money.

Apr 17 06 10:15 am Link