Forums > Critique > 16 years of age

Photographer

CannonBall Ryan

Detroit, Michigan, US

Greetings to you all,

I'm new to MM and thus far I've been superbly impressed by the level of professionalism here. It's a high class community for certain.

I'm relatively new to fashion/glamour/portrait photography. I've done a handful of shoots with friends. Yes, friends. As a sixteen year old I'd rather have an intimate, productive session with a friend than a cold, tense setting with a complete stranger.

I would like you all to run through my gallery at http://rythephotoguy.fotopic.net: if you would. Constructive criticism is what I'm out for. Anything you can think of to critique upon, critique away! I'm simply trying to improve my own work here through experienced individuals such as yourselves.

Now, I dislike labels greatly. I really do not enjoy the thought of having my work labeled "fashion", "glamour", etc. My photography is my own style. Period. I haven't, nor ever will, attempt to emulate someone else's work.

My role-models are Walter Ioose and David LaChapelle. Like I said before, not trying to recreate anyone's work. Just walking my own path with my own style in hand.

Peace,
Mr. Ryan Nisbett

Jul 06 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Good start, you can never go wrong shooting your friends when starting out and your images show a good eye, however, don't waste your time, pretending your images won't be labeled with a style, that's like paddling against the current.  Others will classify your work in whatever style they want, to know for themselves what you shoot, it's just peoples way of keeping track of things.  Emulating someone else's work definitely won't give you a style, it just means you're trying something, learning from it (hopefully) and tweaking it to suit your idea of an image you want to produce.
After checking out your fotopic portfolio, I'd say you're a great portraitist in the making.  Even the ones called sport and glamour (hey, wait a sec, those seem strangely like labels to me...ah well...lol) have a great sense of capturing the person more than the surroundings.
I say keep shooting and don't waste your energy and time fighting the perceived slights to your psyche that others labels may cause you.
Again, very nice work, keep it up.
Rick
PS Don't assume that a complete stranger won't bring a very interesting dynamic to shoot.  That's just your youth talking.  The first time you "step off that cliff" and look through your viewfinder at a person that you think you know nothing about, volumes will be revealed about them, and because of that, about yourself.

Jul 06 05 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Joey You got Compitition!!

Jul 06 05 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Not bad for 16. If you have the eye, you have the eye.

Jul 06 05 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

CannonBall Ryan

Detroit, Michigan, US

You caught me on the label, Rick. I hadn't the foggiest what to call the gallery. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help. Twas' all that I was looking for. Hope to hear more from you all later.

Peace,
Ry

Jul 08 05 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nice work - you're on your way. I wish I was shooting at 16 and by the way, labels are good don't shy away from it. Everything in life has catagories and so does art. If you intend to make a living doing photography or even shoot commercial work, art directors need to know what it is you do, what it is you're good at, what it is you're weak at rather then just all over the place. They'll need to know because you will be given an illustration and told to shoot it exactly like this. So being able to recreate someone's work that you like or admire can also work in your favor. Of course your own style is great but like previously said, it will be placed in a category. Sort of like Ansel Adams who was known as a b&w landscape photographer but he also shot people and in color but he had a certain skill for capturing the elements with a view camera. Good luck to you.

Jul 08 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Good work but I do not like the stating you are 16 stuff.  Let your work stand on it own.

But also do not let older humans tell you that you are not old enough.  Many of the best are better when they were young.

Jul 08 05 08:04 am Link

Model

Jane Ema

Detroit, Michigan, US

Your work is great for your age-if you are this good now-I can only imagine how well you will do in the future!  I can't wait to see more of your work.  Best of luck to you sweetie!

Love~Jane

Haha-Deckerville-my last name is Decker and I'm from Michigan(I didn't even know there was a Deckerville here)-how funny!

Jul 08 05 08:19 am Link