Forums > Photography Talk > Helmut Newton in print - where in Pittsburgh,PA ??

Photographer

ArtyMaverick

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Any good places in Pittsburgh, PA to look at works of great fashion and erotic photographers in print ..... any libraries that stock a good collection ??

Thank You!

Apr 16 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

ArtyMaverick wrote:
Any good places in Pittsburgh, PA to look at works of great fashion and erotic photographers in print ..... any libraries that stock a good collection ??

Thank You!

Barnes and Noble Book stores. Look in the Photography section near the art books.

Apr 16 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

Are you looking at his work in general? Two years back ICP in NYC had a large collection of work on display for quite some time. Then the show ended and those prints moved on... to where, I don't know but will post on here as soon as I find out if they are being displayed again.
I would seriosuly advise toward purchasing among his most famous books which are either White Women, or Big Nudes.

If you are interested how he worked you might want to rent or buy a movie called 'Frames from the Edge' a superb documetary.

But i would go for the book ... at least one. I have quite a few and aquiring more in time. Fell free to ask any questions I might be able to help with.

-Marek

Apr 16 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

ArtyMaverick

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Marek Mezyk wrote:
Are you looking at his work in general? Two years back ICP in NYC had a large collection of work on display for quite some time. Then the show ended and those prints moved on... to where, I don't know but will post on here as soon as I find out if they are being displayed again.
I would seriosuly advise toward purchasing among his most famous books which are either White Women, or Big Nudes.

If you are interested how he worked you might want to rent or buy a movie called 'Frames from the Edge' a superb documetary.

But i would go for the book ... at least one. I have quite a few and aquiring more in time. Fell free to ask any questions I might be able to help with.

-Marek

Yeah I read about "Frames from the Edge" earlier today and it totally caught my attention, I love to watch the pros in action. I couldn't find it for rent nearby, but I think I'm gonna buy it.

Hmmm, so you recommend White Women and Big Nudes ..... have you also seen 'Pola Woman' and 'Playboy's Helmut Newton' ..... what do you think of those ??? 

Thanks for this !

Apr 16 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

ArtyMaverick wrote:

Yeah I read about "Frames from the Edge" earlier today and it totally caught my attention, I love to watch the pros in action. I couldn't find it for rent nearby, but I think I'm gonna buy it.

Hmmm, so you recommend White Women and Big Nudes ..... have you also seen 'Pola Woman' and 'Playboy's Helmut Newton' ..... what do you think of those ??? 

Thanks for this !

I recommend the Big Books first. I do have Helmut's 'Pola Women' and its a great book. But start with the top of his books so you can undertand where he came from. At least that's my take on it.

Netflix has 'Frames from the Edge'... that's how I found it. But I am going to but the DVD.. its really that good.

I also have Helmut's Autobiography... which has little to do with actaul photography then his life. Its a fun book to read but don't expect to undertand his photography from it. Again, that would be a further down the road book on mr. Newton. Big influence in my work.

-Marek

Apr 16 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i own the playboy book, gun for hire, work, pola woman, and newton's illustrated 1-4.    they all are worth having.  the best deals will usually be through amazon and their partner sellers.  frames from the edge is very good as well.

Apr 16 06 11:33 pm Link