Forums > Photography Talk > Headshot Do's and Dont's

Photographer

Jerrold

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hello all!

I'm working on creating a list of guidelines for those seeking professional headshots.  Although they will differ a little across different occupations, there are some basic things I advise people to consider when seeking a photographer for headshots.

Just wanted some feedback from the MM geniuses on what they feel clients should consider when searching for headshots, and even what they should do in preparation for headshots.

Apr 17 06 07:56 am Link

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I was going to post something similar, since I am currently wanting to get some good headshots for submission to various things...but you beat me to it, lol. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.  Cool avatar by the way.

Apr 17 06 07:59 am Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

How about not photoshopping the model into a different person?

Apr 17 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Jerrold wrote:
...Although they will differ a little across different occupations, there are some basic things I advise people to consider when seeking a photographer for headshots.

What are you advising?

Apr 17 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Jerrold wrote:
I'm working on creating a list of guidelines for those seeking professional headshots.

Do you realize how many resources are available for answering your question?

Jerrold wrote:
there are some basic things I advise people to consider when seeking a photographer for headshots.

And?  What are they?

Jerrold wrote:
Just wanted some feedback from the MM geniuses on what they feel clients should consider when searching for headshots, and even what they should do in preparation for headshots.

Sounds to me like you want everyone else to do your research/footwork.  wink

Apr 17 06 09:12 am Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

So, when are you going to post your advice on headshots?  We're waiting.......

Apr 17 06 09:23 am Link

Model

BityBity123

Severn, Maryland, US

Zachary F wrote:
How about not photoshopping the model into a different person?

oh my gosh! i totally agree. I have had photogs that are so photoshop happy they make models look like aliens! i hate it. I would rather look flawed and look like me than plastic!

Apr 17 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Key = PERSONALITY.

Apr 17 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just tell them to go here www.reproductions.com/NYC/Directory_Index.html and browse around a little while.  Then choose a photographer who can do what they've just seen.

Apr 17 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Jerrold

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ooohhhh!  Such testy responses... (ha, ha)

Well Richard, William and Zachery, my advice is rather generic and requires just a little common sense. Really, anyone who puts thought into their endeavors can come up with this stuff on their own.  But my advice on headshots centers around these points:

1. KNOW THE AUDIENCE. A model's headshot and a CEO's headshot are going to reach vastly different groups of people and should be approached in different ways.  Always have the purpose of your headshot in the forefront, followed by industry standards and guidelines (if they apply).  Choose a photographer and a style of photography that appeals to your needs and audience.

2. BE YOURSELF. Take great caution in presenting the real you.  Avoid over use of makeup and/or photographer retouching.  An honest and accurate representation of who you are is a major component of what headshots are all about, so avoid anything that could be deemed as misleading.  Actors/actresses should take great care in choosing poses and facial expressions, being that most are appealing to extreme ends of the spectrum: either the widest audience possible or a specialized niche in the acting gamut.

3. PREPARE.  Hair styling and makeup are a must, even for men.  Have a professional stylist do your hair.  Avoid making drastic changes to your hair as it relates to color and length unless you are certain you can maintain that style throughout the entire application process.  Makeup is neccessary, but as stated before, don't overdo it.  The objective is to put your best foot forward without appearing "fake."  If you are not feeling your best, or there are temporary blemishes that light makeup cannot cover... reschedule the shoot.  Paying for a set of headshots you don't like if far worse than penalties and a little inconveince.

Any other advice I give tends to fit into one of these catergories, or is something that I tell ALL subjects (i.e. bring multiple tops/accessories and don't worry much about shoes and bottoms).

I love this site and have learned so much from those here.  I'm not looking to milk MM'ers ideas or avoid doing my own research.  I've received (and given) lots of great tips and advice from great people.

If you don't want to respond in a communal manner, feel free to move on to the next topic.

Thanks for the great link TXPHOTOG!

Apr 17 06 01:37 pm Link