Forums > Photography Talk > SPAM job? should i trust 'em? HELP!!

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

Hello fellow photographers...

Yesterday I received a note trough OMP from some advertising company who wanted me to take photographs of their models. this is what they sent..

"Hi, my name is Walter Leavy,I am a photographer and i currently work with The add modelling agency in England.We will be having an audition on the 23rd and 24th of may and a photo session on the 25th and 26th of may in Texas for prospect models in the United States of America and at this point in time, we will be needing an additional photographer in the states to work with us on this job.
if you are intreasted,pls send your name, .. blah blah blah"

I replied and gave that info to them,just for the sakes of it, today they sent me this...

"My name is Jeff Madison and I am the advertising accounting manager of ADEXEC an advertising/ consulting agency based in South Africa. and we also serve as a consultant to the Add modeling agency in England.I got the mail you sent refering to  job in the Houston area ..yes we are going to have an auditon and a photo session there for prospect models in the united states of america.we  want to start a professional portfolio for our models
what we need is a photographer who will take shots of the models.we will be creating Beauty Images, Fantasy Images , Commercial Images ,Commercial Beauty Images ,  Business Images , Fitness Images, Swimsuit Images ,Lingerie Images and Fashion Images..all this will make a professional portfolio for our models. let me know if you are intreasted in this job, we will provide you with any kind of instruments you will be needing .let me know what your rates are..how you want to be paid.pls send me a reply as soon as possible.if u have any question pls feel free to ask me..have a great day.thank you.

regards,
Jeff Madison
ADEXEC''

what makes me wonder the most is the fact that they are very unprofesionally writen (Capitalization in the wrong places, etc) should i give  them a call? should i reply about rates? i like the fact they offer to give me all i need! lol, since i don't even own profesional lighting. how much should i charge if this seems legitimate? is this too weird? or just spam i wasn't exposed to before?

all comments/help are appreciated..

Abdiel

Apr 18 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

yeah. people that use pls in a professional setting are perhaps not professional.

Apr 18 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

Synthetic Shadows wrote:
yeah. people that use pls in a professional setting are perhaps not professional.

right, that is what makes me wonder.. i don't want to work and then have the door shut in my face!

Apr 18 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Something tells me that the next step is they're going to forward you a large sum of money via a cashiers check, actually 'overpaying' you... but you'll have to return a few thousand dollars balance to them via "Western Union".

Google the following words:

"Nigerian 419" for the answer to this and many similar deals that people have reported.

Apr 18 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Something tells me that the next step is they're going to forward you a large sum of money via a cashiers check, actually 'overpaying' you... but you'll have to return a few thousand dollars balance to them via "Western Union".

Google the following words:

"Nigerian 419" for the answer to this and many similar deals that people have reported.

thanks, i'll look into it

Apr 18 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

SPAM is not a job but what lowly people eat.

E L

Apr 18 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

E L Fanucchi wrote:

E L

ummm.. i have never had a chance to eat one of those.. thank god. i hope you are being sarcastic about the term though..

Apr 18 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

E L Fanucchi wrote:

E L

ummm.. i have never had a chance to eat one of those.. thank god. i hope you are being sarcastic about the term though..

Apr 18 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

No offense to the country, but I would usually ignore anything comming out of Africa/S.Africa.

Apr 18 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Abdiel Urcullu Photo wrote:

https://www.modernsurf.com/spam/spamanm.gif
http://www.spam.com/

I think its good hot off a skillet, my wife on the other hand thinks its the most disgusting thing in the world

Apr 18 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I remember eating Spam when I was younger... but back to the topic.. Very suspicious.  I'd ignore it.  Call it SPAM

Apr 18 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

David Scott wrote:
I remember eating Spam when I was younger... but back to the topic.. Very suspicious.  I'd ignore it.  Call it SPAM

Better yet mail em a can of spam. tongue

Apr 18 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Course i'm sure if he replied, they might reply something back like "ok to get paid all we need is your bank acount/etc information"

Apr 18 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

E L Fanucchi wrote:

E L

are you calling me lowly?  what do you eat on a regular basis?  champagne and caviar?

i love spam, and so do my people.  we are far from lowly.

Apr 18 06 04:38 pm Link