Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > cs4 vs cs4 extended?

Photographer

Sky Simone

Cumming, Georgia, US

Hey guys
so on the Adobe website in Australian dollars if you just pay for the download link (adobe told me they are happy for you to burn your own disk if you pay for the download link as long as its just for your own backup of the download software)

CS4 is $1285
CS4 Extended is $1835

pretty cheap really

American dollrs thats more like $950 for CS4 and $1500 for Extended!

Anyways I dont want to spend an extra $500 on extended if I am never going to use/need those features!

I have seen the comparison chart and its all 3d and video stuff that comes with extended but even with a demo version if you dont know what the features are exactly and how to use them you cant properly try it out

you can NOT upgrade from cs4 to cs4 extended so i need to make the right choice

Apr 28 09 07:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Video, 3D, data analysis (forensic, scientific, measurement uses); if you're not doing that, Extended won't offer you much.

There are a couple of the stack functions* which might be of use to some photographers, but that's it. Other than that, there's nothing else in Extended that a photographer would need.

* Use of median or averaging to reduce noise in multiple 'identical' shots, or to eliminate moving objects (the so-called 'tourist eliminator').

Apr 28 09 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sky Simone

Cumming, Georgia, US

bump

Jun 02 09 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo Photo

Simi Valley, California, US

Why did you bump? You got your answer.

They're extreme niche functions.

I own extended because I do render out video using photoshop filters, as for the other extended features, I don't touch them.

Jun 02 09 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Wilde One

Santa Monica, California, US

"Stacking" can be quite interesting for someone who shoots architecture etc.

You can shoot ten images of a location with people, and then take the people out through stacking and have the location without anybody.

Stacking is also useful for removing noise. See Martin Evening's CS4 book on this.

Your best bet is to go to adobe.com. There's a feature list comparing the two. And if you have questions left, call Adobe, or send them an e-mail.

Jun 02 09 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sky Simone

Cumming, Georgia, US

Well no its not an answer.

Its the same vague info that is on the adobe website, which is not much.

I am a videographer, would extended  be suitable to use?
What does it actually offer video?

You say it can do video and animation.. Do what to them?
Capture tapes and make movies? Or just apply basic filters that free video editors would do anyways?

Aug 22 09 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Duran Photography wrote:

Capture tapes and make movies? Or just apply basic filters that free video editors would do anyways?

Then ASK FOR THE SPECIFICS you want to know  WITH THE CORRECT QUESTIONS.
You ask a general question you will get a GENERAL ANSWER....

Make Sense?

Aug 22 09 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Sky Simone

Cumming, Georgia, US

I have asked for specifics.

please reread my last post before getting stroppy!

Aug 22 09 09:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Duran Photography wrote:
I have asked for specifics.

Asking someone whether a tool will fit your needs without specifics about those needs isn't going to help much.

Given your desire for specifics and lack of information about the specific needs, your best bet would be to download the 30-day trial, and see if it does, in fact, satisfy your specific needs. If, after you've used it for your tasks, you find you don't need the video features, or if they're not sufficient for your needs: don't spend the extra for the Extended version. If you do need them: buy the Extended version.

Aug 22 09 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Sky Simone

Cumming, Georgia, US

this is specific

how come you find that so hard to answer?

Aug 22 09 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

FK Digital Images

Closter, New Jersey, US

In terms of the video features, it's not a full-featured NLE.  However, it does allow you to use Photoshop filters, layers and the ability to clone on video.  It also adds audio support, which was not available in CS3.  So that's nice.

There's also some integration with Adobe's video apps, which include Premiere Pro and After Effects.  I think most videographers would use Photoshop's video features for motion graphics, though I'm not sure that you can't do most of that stuff using After Effects.  I've used it to work on individual clips that I cut together in Premiere Pro. 

Hope that helps.  I think Adobe has some video tutorials on their site that can help you understand just what the features are.

Aug 22 09 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Duran Photography wrote:

No. CS4 Extended will be of absolutely no use to you and is not worth the additional money. How's that?

What's with getting all pissy just because you didn't get the answer you had hoped? If you've already seen the comparison charts and know all the additional listed features, you're asking if YOU would find Extended useful. How would any of us know? It doesn't even sound like you know.

Seriously though, think about it for a second. The people that benefit from CS4 Extended over Standard are well-versed in the differences and how they will benefit already. They eagerly awaited the Extended version for those very features.

The fact you're asking is a good indicator that those additional niche features will be of little use to you.

Aug 22 09 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Duran Photography wrote:
this is specific

I can say with 100% confidence that Extended will not capture tapes or make movies.

Aug 22 09 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:
[Y]our best bet would be to download the 30-day trial, and see if it does, in fact, satisfy your specific needs.

The free trial is, in fact, free.

You could also check out Adobe's free online help for Photoshop CS4, and check what it says about, say,  importing video.

As for why it's 'so hard' for me to answer, it's because I don't use Photoshop for video.

Aug 22 09 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Duran Photography wrote:
this is specific

Drop the attitude. Be more specific about YOUR needs and you might get more than crap here. What type of videos do YOU make? Do you employ 3D graphics from programs like Lightwave? Do you do 2 d FX in a program like AfterEffects? Do you have a need for network quality 2 d type for and animated titles? If so CS4 Extended will aid in all that. It does animation and effects and no free editor is going to do what CS4 does. it's like a weak version of Aftereffects.  If you include 3D models this lets you bring the models in and texture them in CS4. It allows for time line style animations of graphics created in CS4 and out put them to your editors time line if they support it like Premiere Pro does.

Aug 22 09 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

George Lue

Orlando, Florida, US

Duran Photography wrote:

Extended cannot replace full featured video editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut or Avid.

You can apply any Photoshop filter and apply it to keyframes etc, texture 3d graphics and so on.

I'll put it this way:  If you don't understand the basic run down from the Adobe site, chances are you'll never use it.

Aug 22 09 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Sky Simone

Cumming, Georgia, US

thanks everyone.
That sounds about right. I will just get cs4 then.

I film weddings www.skyscottvideography.com.au

However there is nothing I can't do with my NLE that I am hoping to do, and if I were to do animation I would most likely use my nle anyways, but thats a big IF.

The main issue I had was adobe said you could not upgrade from cs4 to cs4 extended. (which seems odd) they said they were completely dif

cheers everyone

Aug 23 09 08:17 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

I like extended. Makes me feel like I'm not getting GIMPed out of something wink

Plus, you gotta know the 3D and stacking to pass the A.C.E.

Aug 23 09 06:45 pm Link