Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop is lagging

Photographer

Laura Ann Photography

Peoria, Arizona, US

I'm hoping to trouble shoot a little here.

My photoshop is running slowly, and now it seems that my burner isn't working either.  I'm working on figuring out the CD burner, but in the case that they are linked, does any have any ideas what may be causing this?

I don't think I've done any updates recently, except maybe Firefox which happens periodically.

I'm using a Macbook Pro, and running OSX whatever version, but the laptop was bought in early 2008.

If you have any suggestions for me, or any ideas what may be causing this, please let me know.  I do all of my retouching on this laptop, and the sooner I get this figured out, the better.

Apr 28 09 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Elizabeth May

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Sometimes Photoshop will run slower if you have a lot of stuff open.  Mine tends to get pissy with me if I have AIM open.

Apr 28 09 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

BatchFoto Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Boost the allocated ram?

Apr 28 09 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Ann Photography

Peoria, Arizona, US

Elizabeth May wrote:
Sometimes Photoshop will run slower if you have a lot of stuff open.  Mine tends to get pissy with me if I have AIM open.

I don't have any else open other than Firefox.

And this is pretty recent and it all come on pretty quickly.  I wonder what may have triggered it.

Apr 28 09 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Ann Photography

Peoria, Arizona, US

BatchFoto Photography wrote:
Boost the allocated ram?

I may have to.

But I'm wondering what the catalyst was for all of this.

Apr 28 09 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Make sure you don't have a offline network printer that is defined as the default printer.

I had one defined and my PS would lag whenever I was not connected to that network.

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

When was the last time you ran a defrag?

Photographer

Laura Ann Photography

Peoria, Arizona, US

A slice of oblivion wrote:

I haven't, been I need someone to walk me through it for a Mac.

From what I read in SF2, Macs defrag on their own, but I would suspect their is another way to do it, designed for a Mac, but I don't know what that way is.

Apr 28 09 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

BatchFoto Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

A slice of oblivion wrote:

Its a Mac, should be constantly running.

Photographer

Laura Ann Photography

Peoria, Arizona, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:
Make sure you don't have a offline network printer that is defined as the default printer.

I had one defined and my PS would lag whenever I was not connected to that network.

It's not set to any printers, at least from what I can tell.

Photographer

Bill Noll

LEHIGH VALLEY, Pennsylvania, US

Try deleting your preferences file. It's in your home folder's Library, then "Preferences", then CS4 Settings. Restart Photoshop and good chance it will fix your problem.

Apr 28 09 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

whats happening with your scratch disks?

Apr 28 09 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

BatchFoto Photography wrote:

Its a Mac, should be constantly running.

Macs only defrag files smaller than 20megs, unless they fixed it in a recent update.
I used to work at a dvd authoring company, man defragging was a bitch. It would sometimes still be running after a weekend.

Apr 28 09 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Laura Ann Photography wrote:

I haven't, been I need someone to walk me through it for a Mac.

From what I read in SF2, Macs defrag on their own, but I would suspect their is another way to do it, designed for a Mac, but I don't know what that way is.

You don't need to.

Laura, PM me for help. I used to work for Apple as a Mac Genius and can probably help you troubleshoot this.

Apr 28 09 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

SteveL Images

Pacifica, California, US

Laura Ann Photography wrote:
I'm hoping to trouble shoot a little here.

My photoshop is running slowly, and now it seems that my burner isn't working either.  I'm working on figuring out the CD burner, but in the case that they are linked, does any have any ideas what may be causing this?

I don't think I've done any updates recently, except maybe Firefox which happens periodically.

I'm using a Macbook Pro, and running OSX whatever version, but the laptop was bought in early 2008.

If you have any suggestions for me, or any ideas what may be causing this, please let me know.  I do all of my retouching on this laptop, and the sooner I get this figured out, the better.

Can you define "running slowly?" Do you get spinning beachballs or things just seem to take a long time? Which things ... batch operations/actions or applying filters and adustments? How big's your disk and how full is it? Full disks cause trouble. How much RAM do you have and are you paging? Paging can be detected via the "top" program in Terminal or via GUI apps such as Memory Stick.

Unlikely your performance issues are related to your DVD drive but what symptoms are you having with it?

Also helpful to specify the exact MBP model and the exact version of the OS.

Apr 28 09 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

M_M_P

Seattle, Washington, US

It does sound like a memory issue, but it could be that it's a hardware issue rather than a software issue. Macs are great, but they still break from time to time. Perhaps it's still under warranty?

Apr 28 09 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Ann Photography

Peoria, Arizona, US

M_M_P wrote:
It does sound like a memory issue, but it could be that it's a hardware issue rather than a software issue. Macs are great, but they still break from time to time. Perhaps it's still under warranty?

I think it is.

If I can't troubleshoot this, I'll be taking it in.  But I'm hoping to resolve this myself if at all possible.

Apr 28 09 09:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Add another vote to resetting the Photoshop preferences; that often fixes unexpected issues of various flavors.

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Are you using external drives for the data?

Which version of PS and which exact OS?

Apr 28 09 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jian Bastille

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Download SPEEDFAN and keep an eye on your heat levels.

Apr 28 09 09:56 pm Link

Model

Tony J Collins

Tampa, Florida, US

To my knowledge, photoshop and your cd burner don't directly work hand-in-hand. They DO (as with any other "major" running program on your comp) require a few applications to be closed in order to make them run smoother. My photoshop tends to lag whenever I have a media player up and running (I like to listen to music while I retouch photos). Try closing out unneccessary apps and see if that helps.

Apr 28 09 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada

I have an external hard drive that when plugged in makes Photoshop crawl.

Apr 28 09 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Synergy Canada

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Edit>>Preferences>>

Adjust your settings accordingly.

https://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9007/psprefs.jpg

Apr 28 09 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

I'd highly recommend asking a Mac-specific technical question such as this one in a Mac-specific technical forum, such as the one at http://www.macfixitforums.com/, where folks knowledgeable in the care and feeding of Macs hang out.

Be advised, however, that they are going to want to know more about your computer, such as OS version, RAM, and whether you have ever run Disk Utility's repair function or the cron scripts.

Apr 29 09 04:00 pm Link