Forums > Model Colloquy > Working with designers

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

This question is for all who have done work with designers (models, photographers). How do you determine what your rate will be with them if you are modeling their clothes? Is it less if there are some privileges such as receiving pics from the shoot or a discount or free clothing? What about for modeling for them for runway shows? I am starting to work with some boutiques and would like to get a general idea so I can get off on the right foot.

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!

Jul 10 05 08:47 am Link

Model

MULIKA

London, England, United Kingdom

I have worked for designers for clothes more often than pay but its because it made sense for them and me. I balance it with the exposure and affiliation. If its worth it, why not?

For runway through your Agency, you should assume you are getting paid, showing for smaller establishments though would be anyone's guess. Some might promise a picture in the local rag and that would be enough for some as compensation...

Don't forget that there will always be other avenues of work from one designer so thread softly. I got booked to do a catalogue update by a designer a year ago and have had weekly paid fittings ever since...

Jul 10 05 02:17 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

I would love to work with some designers just so I could wear their clothes...then we could market the pictures together and try to share the take?

Or is that just a Neanderthal approach?

Jul 10 05 03:05 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by DreamPretty?: 
I would love to work with some designers just so I could wear their clothes...then we could market the pictures together and try to share the take?

Or is that just a Neanderthal approach?

I don't think that is a Neandertahl approach. I think its smart marketing! smile Go for it!

Jul 12 05 11:58 am Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by MULIKA: 
I have worked for designers for clothes more often than pay but its because it made sense for them and me. I balance it with the exposure and affiliation. If its worth it, why not?

For runway through your Agency, you should assume you are getting paid, showing for smaller establishments though would be anyone's guess. Some might promise a picture in the local rag and that would be enough for some as compensation...

true..exposure and affiliation is definately important. At some point though, it would be nice to receive more compensation in monetary form as well. But I guess it pays off in the end if it gets your foot in the door with different designers/agencies.

Don't forget that there will always be other avenues of work from one designer so thread softly. I got booked to do a catalogue update by a designer a year ago and have had weekly paid fittings ever since...

Jul 12 05 12:00 pm Link