Forums > Model Colloquy > What do models normally charge?

Model

Rebeckah

Destin, Florida, US

Posted by Marvin Dockery: 

Posted by *Serenabeana1*: 

Posted by Rebeckah: 
Well I decided on $35-$50 an hour since I have never been payed before and made it negotiable. I don't want to push away a shoot because I am asking too much. I am quite excited about it since I have been looking for more work to keep my portfolio updated. Not to mention no nudity will be involved, and that's a first since I've only been asked to do nudes before. Finally more diversity for my port.

Thank you all for your input, you have all been so helpful. 

Since you're still pretty new, that's ok but like photographer's
no one should charge below the market- it lowering it- which is bad for people that make a LIVING off it. Photographers and Models alike. Photographers that charge less than others are also lowering the market- making it harder for others to make a living. There's always someone willing to do it cheaper and for free. TFPs are great, but certain things should not be included- I feel- and should be paid for.

If my daughter was going into modeling I would tell her to check the photographers out through references, then ask for a sit down meeting at a local coffee bar for a chat.

She should then look for signs of wealth, such as an expensive watch, shoes, and etc., Then ask him what kind of camera he uses, and how much it cost.  (Guys like to brag on having the biggest and best.)

If course where he went on vacation, last year, might also give her some idea of how much money he had.

As they leave she should look at his car, and if it is a Mercedes SL, or a nice Beemer, by all means pose for him, using her rate sheet A, which has her highest prices on it.  :-)

Yes I do plan on meeting with him in advance, and I am currently looking for models who have worked with him. Would it be wrong if I mentioned who the photographer was so that I could get some feedback from people here?

Jul 13 05 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

I would keep business dealings and the photographers name off the forums. One way to check out a photographer is to do a GOOGLE search on his/her name. Check out the first five pages, if he/her has the same name as a rather famous person.  Rmember the photographer should also check out the models. I do, and if I see anything odd, I do not shoot with them. 

Jul 13 05 01:43 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Respect goes a long way, try it sometime.

Jul 13 05 10:46 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Posted by RStephenT: 

Posted by theda: 
Five-year-olds are ALWAYS right.

What puzzles me most is why you can not disagree Theda with someone without the "condescending attitude", and comments.

You are suppose to be a MODERATOR... but perhaps that is really just in name only... what you really are is a young woman who when she doesn't get "her" way has to always have the last word with a "snide" comment.  It's not a real effective way to communicate... but hay you already know that and much much more don't you? 

I have to agree with you on that one.

Jul 13 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Remembrances

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

As one said.. there are two markets.. one where the model seeks a good agency to get work.. where the agency pays the model from the company booking her.. most agencies will tell the model to pay a photographer to get a varied portfolio.. then there are the others.. the internet only models.. that have very little desire to work as a true model- some do... just most are on the internet to say " hey I am a model, pay me to shoot photos of me, but I have no experience and want $ xx dollars per hour... "

Unless I have a client desiring to pay models for a specific look, I will never pay a model, in fact, why waste my time of photographing people, then working in photoshop for free.. and then the expense of my time, and equipment... doesnt seem right.. until the internet, modeling was an agency type of job and the photogs got paid...

I hope these models dont expect to have a photographer pay them if they get married and want photographers to shoot their wedding.. and no it is not 2 different things.. it is taking pics of a female or male and paying them to photograph them..

Jul 13 05 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Posted by Jessica L: 
Hopefully I don't sound too stupid for some people here and get flamed but I wonder sometimes if I'll ever get paid for anything besides the photo workshops I've done. I HOPE I do someday but...That wasn't bad pay but of course, I didn't make as much as the nudes make.
I used to think until just recently that nudes were the ONLY peeps who did get paid.
I also don't think it's right to knock people for not being "professionals" and paying models or vice versa. I don't have a great port yet but I've only been doing this for 7 months or so.
If a model needs the money and a GWC isn't looking for something you aren't into, then what is wrong with getting paid? They want/need the experience right?
God knows my little 20.00 bucks a week to blow doesn't cut it. LOL

naah, jessica, nudes aren't the only ones who get paid, I pay all models who work with me, from fashion through glam and lingerie to fine art nude, unless we make a TFP/CD arrangement, and even then, I'll at least pick up gas and tolls.  I think it's only fair.

Jul 13 05 11:32 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by RStephenT: 

Posted by theda: 
Five-year-olds are ALWAYS right.

What puzzles me most is why you can not disagree Theda with someone without the "condescending attitude", and comments.

You are suppose to be a MODERATOR... but perhaps that is really just in name only... what you really are is a young woman who when she doesn't get "her" way has to always have the last word with a "snide" comment.  It's not a real effective way to communicate... but hay you already know that and much much more don't you? 

I guess since I have to get "my way" (whatever that may be), I'm obligated to respond with a snide comment here. Frankly, there are some people who will interperate every statement that contradicts their views as "condescending." 

Jul 14 05 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Usually the best compensation I give the model is the sheer pleasure of working with me ... If that's not enough I'll pay her
dinner or something... later on ... 

Jul 17 05 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Marcus J. Ranum: 
Am I a GWC?

Not in my book.  But you're shooting nudes for the most part.

I won't ask if you'd pay Rebecka.

Paul

Jul 17 05 04:51 pm Link