Forums > Model Colloquy > Model Forms

Model

Danielle

Lakeland, Florida, US

Legally, what do most of you models use when you go to a photoshoot to make sure you get your photo's or dont see your photo's later on down the road out when you didnt want them out.

Something that i can copy, take into word, paste and change to my name and such.

Thanks in advance!!

D

Jul 11 05 01:32 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

"Model Release" do a search through the forums or on the WWW

Jul 11 05 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

I am curious, Danielle, if you are inferring that instead of a model release by the photographer, you intend to introduce a "release" of your own?

If that is the case, I am not sure you will find too many Photographers interested in dealing with you.

In general, Must photographers will be shooting you for a reason, and their release Should cover that reason.

I know that a lot of photographers use a general/generic release, and that a lot of them include Use rights as well.

If you intend to shoot with someone that needs your images for something in particular, I am relatively sure you will find that they will not acknowledge your release, and if you push the issue, then they will find another model....

On the inverse, If you are contracting the Photographer to take images for you, and paying him to do such, then by all means you have the right to bring your own and insist on it, and most photogs will not argue or quibble, unless you intend to have them sign over Copyright.

As for setting a time to get the images, Be reasonable as well.
2 weeks is not enough time for a lot of photogs I know.
I personally guarentee only 1 image available in the first month, and all images available by 6 months (that will be released).
I am of course a special case, as mine can truly takes months of work.
If a model pushes me for faster, as I have had a few models do, I simply send them all the crappy looking unedited raw images on a CD and say here you go, Nice working with you, don't call us, we'll call you......

Then again, that is just me as well......

Jul 11 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Danielle: Legally, what do most of you models use when you go to a photoshoot to make sure you get your photo's or dont see your photo's later on down the road out when you didnt want them out. Something that i can copy, take into word, paste and change to my name and such. Thanks in advance!! D

what exactley do you think an written agreement will spare you of? if a photographer isn't going to give you your images, your not going to get them..you could spell out a fine system for failure to deliver, but i dont imagine any photogrpaher would sign it..what do you think the cost will be to take a photog to court..when he can just say the hard drive crashed and he lost the images...

personally, i wont sign a release a model provides or change my model releases for anyone. well maybe if your real famous i would...

what you need to do is work with photographers that have good reputations and verifiable refferences...

that will ensure you get what your promissed, before any written agreement with a less then professional photographer..

you should work with photographers like me..

Jul 11 05 12:12 pm Link

Model

Danielle

Lakeland, Florida, US

Well since i'm new in this i'm trying to cover all the areas and learn all that i can.

I'm no cocky model who thinks she's the shit and is trying to get all these photographers to change what their doing and trying to rush them.

I'm one of the most easy going models you'll meet.  I'm up for almost anything and am very patient when it comes to getting my pictures back, anxious, but patient.

I did work with one photographer that we had a really cool shoot and he stopped contacting me and just never gave me any pics.  Didnt give me any response or anything after awhile...nothing. 

I as a model am just trying to cover my ass, and i dont think there is anything wrong with that.

Matter of fact a couple of the photographers i have worked with said there are things like that that i can bring along, especially if the photographer himself doesnt have a Model release form.

But thank you guys for your information.  VERY helpful.

Jul 11 05 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Danielle: 
I'm no cocky model who thinks she's the shit and is trying to get all these photographers to change what their doing and trying to rush them which is what you somewhat sound your implying Ty Simone.

I am sorry if it appeared to come off that way.
I was trying to figure out why a model would need it, and trying to guess your state of mind from your post.

I was trying to cover both sides of it just in case, ie. TFP with a photog versus you contracting one to do a shoot.
In the second case, then yes, you would be better off with your own release / agreement, in the first, you will only discourage a ton of potential photogs.

In general, there is no way to truly CYA.
Doug has that right in his post.

Better to work with a reputable photog then a non-reputable one...

Jul 11 05 12:37 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Danielle - It happens to all models and does suck. CYA: Ask the photographer the turn around time on images BEFORE you work together. Ask the models worked and ask them the turn around time on photos (sometimes posted on the photographer's profile if not ask for TFP/CD references). A few times I've had delivery of images by the end of the shoot - which is awesome - and the "photo shop" images came later via email or CD in the mail.

Jul 11 05 02:09 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I have a receipt that specifies number and format of images and a time frame in which i am to receive them. It also specifies that if such is not delievered the photographer will either owe me a set rate or any release I signed for him is null and void. I've found that having something in writing like that is a good inducement for photographers and they get the idea that the model means business. Not a single photographer I have ever presented that receipt to has refused to sign, as number/format and time frame are agreed upon by all parties before signing.

As for it being much help in a legal action, I haven't ever been stiffed when using the form and I'm not sure if taking legal action would in fact be worth the time, money and effort. It would depend.

I also have releases on file just in case, but I rarely actually use them. Usually the photographer has his or her own release and if there are terms in it that I am uncomfortable with, we dicker and red ink it up until we're both happy.

Jul 11 05 04:00 pm Link

Model

Danielle

Lakeland, Florida, US

Thank you guys for your help and different perspectives!!!

thanks!

Jul 12 05 10:54 pm Link